RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2020, 04:12 AM   #1

Frozen Tanks

Hopefully someone here can help me out. We were evacuated last Wednesday as a result of the East Troublesome Fire. We were given about 15 minutes fo get out of our home as the roar of the fire could be heard coming northeast toward us and the the town of Grand Lake and the west side of Rocky Man. Nat'l Park. The RV was loaded and ready to go...almost. We headed south to Granby where we spent the first night on a side street. The next 4 nights were spent in a local rodeo parking lot. Those 5 nights were w/o electricity. Temps dropped to -8 on the coldest night and stayed below freezing most of the time. Now comes my problem. I had the foresight to pour 1/2 gal. of RV anti-freeze down into each the 2 tanks, but it looks like that was not enough. I have not tried to drain the tanks, yet. The temps are finally getting above freezing during the afternoons, but I need to do something to thaw out those tanks. If I pour more RV antifreeze into the tanks, will that cause the "ice" to melt? Someone suggested to pour "ice melt" into the tanks but will that cause a problems with the sensors or the valves? Thanks in advance and so far it looks like our home was spared any damage, but we have not been given the okay to re-enter --- hopefully tomorrow.
dufferdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2020, 07:35 AM   #2

Frozen tanks

When I lived in Larkspur this happened to me. I drove to Rifle and was able to dump. Heat of the road and driving best remedy. John
jl.kauai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 07:46 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Just wait it out if you can. A halfway warm afternoon ought to do the trick.

I doubt if adding more antifreeze will have any effect, since the freeze that is most troublesome will be at the dump valve, not where the sink drains empty to the tank. It might take weeks for antifreeze to seep through the ice.

I'd be leery of any ice melt products - most of them are sodium chloride or magnesium chloride salts. Seems like damage to metal parts is possible. Some are advertised as pet-safe, even though they generate heat as they melt the ice. Maybe those are ok?
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 07:57 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
How full were the tanks??
You could try putting a small electric heater in the wet bay, the heat should warm the whole compartment.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 08:02 AM   #5

Thawing froozen pipes.

Depending on how much liquid was in the tanks, a hair dryer trained on the valves and drain pipes may solve your problem. An electric heater with swivel and angle stand could be aimed at the bottom. I have used a hair dryer successfully.

Full tanks would take days to freeze, empty tanks could freeze quickly. Valves and pipes freeze fast.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 09:59 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

If you have the space I would buy one of the small 200W electric heaters from Wal-Mart and put it in the tank compartment.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 03:10 PM   #7
Commercial Member

jim has it right. walmart sells a 350 watt 110 volt heater. fasten it down securely in the sewer compartment and let it run. ive used mine for the last 10 years without freezing, even in below zero weather. all my compartments with water lines in them, and at the pump are protected this way, or with 100 watt light bulbs. securely fastened, and away from fire hazard.
it can be done safely.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 03:42 PM   #8

Only a couple of RV anti-freeze brand may be diluted, most say no. Gary has the best advice. Heat-generating ice melt would be best, calcium chloride next.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 06:22 PM   #9
NXR

Quote:
I had the foresight to pour 1/2 gal. of RV anti-freeze down into each the 2 tanks, but it looks like that was not enough. I have not tried to drain the tanks, yet.
Why do you think you have a problem? Did you look in the toilet and see ice? As you used the sinks and toilets that water would be well above freezing. Antifreeze should have drained to the lowest part, where the drain valves are.

I take it you do not have tank heaters? This manual says they were optional: https://www.jayco.com/files/download...lor%20RevA.pdf

Ray
Old 10-30-2020, 09:25 AM   #10

Hair dryer

I have tried to use RV antifreeze to keep waste tank drains flowing in 20 deg F weather. It did not work. I used a hair dryer on the gray tank drain gate valve and drain pipe between the valve and tank to melt enough ice to start flowing. Once it started flowing it melted the remainder of the plug. I did not try this on the black tank.

Is your home still threatened? Wishing you good luck!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 04:30 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
If you are in an area that is above freezing, then good old water will do the trick. If you run water into the tank it will defrost the tank. It might take a while but it will bring the frozen water up to fluid temperature, plus the weight of the water will push it's self down to the frozen water and warm it up to fluid temps. Just be sure you have opened the drain to allow it to run.
Old 11-04-2020, 06:14 AM   #12

Get access to running water from a garden hose and use a reverse flush adapter like the valterra flush king.

https://youtu.be/oi8HUknP46Y
lola and i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 03:48 PM   #13

Just saw your post. Glad you were able to evacuate in time and are safe. And that you got your rig out, too. Please let us know down the road how things worked out for your frozen lines, for our future possible need. Glad you're okay.

Tags
tank