Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2020, 09:31 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
Right hand drive? Right hand drive Subarus and various Jeeps are quite popular here with the mail delivery people. They are certainly not banned or illegal to own and drive here.
Thought a right hand had to a certain age vehicle . And not all states inc Canada ally them.
Destination Unknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2020, 09:33 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper2020 View Post
At a 15k max price you may be better off thinking about buying a old stripped out full size van. Then get your camping gear together. You will get around 10 mpg and be able to camp at any location. Any old motorized RV at that price will cost you a fortune fixing it up and keeping it on the road. Safe travels

Enjoy the journey
Thanks but as already have the Bounder 34j, we wanted something smaller to enjoy, and then ship back to UK so we can do more of Europe.
Old 11-01-2020, 08:20 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destination Unknown View Post
Thought a right hand had to a certain age vehicle . And not all states inc Canada ally them.
Not all states allow what? The United States Postal services operates right hand drive vehicles in ALL 50 states.

If you wish to IMPORT a vehicle into the US and it's right hand drive then it must be at least 25 years old. But if you wish to TEMPORARILY import a vehicle for less than a year's time then the 25 years doesn't apply. People do this all the time though it's usually exotic cars.

If you think you might want to bring an RV into the US for a time you might want to research what is actually required instead of assuming anything. There's plenty of info to be Googled. Here's some quickie info to get you started.
https://www.wcshipping.com/blog/temp...your%20vehicle.

And what the actual US Customs department has to say.
https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-impo.../importing-car
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 02:42 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
Not all states allow what? The United States Postal services operates right hand drive vehicles in ALL 50 states.

If you wish to IMPORT a vehicle into the US and it's right hand drive then it must be at least 25 years old. But if you wish to TEMPORARILY import a vehicle for less than a year's time then the 25 years doesn't apply. People do this all the time though it's usually exotic cars.

If you think you might want to bring an RV into the US for a time you might want to research what is actually required instead of assuming anything. There's plenty of info to be Googled. Here's some quickie info to get you started.
https://www.wcshipping.com/blog/temp...your%20vehicle.

And what the actual US Customs department has to say.
https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-impo.../importing-car
Thanks
We have looked into it, that is why we know the Australia Rv is not old enough, plus we wish to travel USA for a few years, so temp import no good.
Old 11-02-2020, 04:14 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
We are considering buying a Rv USA to travel for 6 months over a few years. Either B or C class, upto 15k Dollers.

What engine would give us best economy, Was hoping to find a Sprinter type but does not seem to be older versions listed at our budget.

So what would be the best for us to look for.
"we" is just the 2 of you ? LOL

I have had a smaller C or larger B, Approx 21ft.. It was a long weekend warrior, not a long stayer.. Went all over , sold it with 195K.. We could do a week or two here and there.

It was crammed moving past each other.. we are short and stout/plump people... LOL Not a ton of storage for stuff.. .. 460 powered, 7-10 mpg depended on so many variables.. towing, load, hills, fuel quality.. 7.5/8 was a good avg.. Handled so so, short wheelbase roll..

Now we have an older in budget like you, Minnie 29.4ft RQ. 460 powered
Same MPG , when not towing and I keep my foot out of it, 8mpg is the norm.. Handles very well with a few updates. lots of storage.. The extra bedroom in rear is nice, onboard genny.. (my other was carry on) lots of storage.. I can shower. get in bedroom to relax while wife cooks or stays up front to read/watch tv etc..

Pont is regardless of 460 0r V10 24ft vs 29 ft.. , MPG is close.. Go for a solid unit that you can "hang" in comfortable.

I got my 96 29RQ for 6kish, put another 4-5K into it becasue I am anal and picky, but it had less than 29K miles..
With any used RV under 20K expect to put some $$$ into them.. Tires, batteries, brakes, alignment and fluids change will set you back 2k .. that is bare minimum stuff to do if you plan of "traveling alot"

Good luck and the RV bug will bite you....
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 04:56 AM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
What is the timing for your trip to the USA. Right now RV's, both motorized and pull behind, are bringing premium prices and are in shorter supply. My guess is that this may change in a couple years as people realize the cost of ownership and limited use of the RV.

Assume you plan to sell the motorhome after your trip so I would start doing research on manufacturers & models that have better resale value. You might be better off spending a little more to get a coach that you can sell for a decent price.

We owned a 31' Class C and it averaged about 7.5 mpg. We did not tow a 2nd car.

We now own a ~40' Class A diesel pusher and get about 8 mpg. The Class A is much more comfortable to drive and live in but not as maneuverable but we tow a vehicle for getting around.
$15,000 buys old. A unused RV is usually a headache! My 36 ft class A gets 7mpg pulling a car. Not bad to drive and comfortable enough I enjoy staying in it for longer stays. RV'ing is more of a lifestyle, you sleep in your bed and can cook in your kitchen when you want, but it is not CHEAPER! I love ❤️❤️❤️ campgrounds and I hate 😠😠😠 hotel's and motels.
Oldman5145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 02:35 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibe View Post
"we" is just the 2 of you ? LOL

I have had a smaller C or larger B, Approx 21ft.. It was a long weekend warrior, not a long stayer.. Went all over , sold it with 195K.. We could do a week or two here and there.

It was crammed moving past each other.. we are short and stout/plump people... LOL Not a ton of storage for stuff.. .. 460 powered, 7-10 mpg depended on so many variables.. towing, load, hills, fuel quality.. 7.5/8 was a good avg.. Handled so so, short wheelbase roll..

Now we have an older in budget like you, Minnie 29.4ft RQ. 460 powered
Same MPG , when not towing and I keep my foot out of it, 8mpg is the norm.. Handles very well with a few updates. lots of storage.. The extra bedroom in rear is nice, onboard genny.. (my other was carry on) lots of storage.. I can shower. get in bedroom to relax while wife cooks or stays up front to read/watch tv etc..

Pont is regardless of 460 0r V10 24ft vs 29 ft.. , MPG is close.. Go for a solid unit that you can "hang" in comfortable.

I got my 96 29RQ for 6kish, put another 4-5K into it becasue I am anal and picky, but it had less than 29K miles..
With any used RV under 20K expect to put some $$$ into them.. Tires, batteries, brakes, alignment and fluids change will set you back 2k .. that is bare minimum stuff to do if you plan of "traveling alot"

Good luck and the RV bug will bite you....
Thank You.
As with any used Rvs. There is always something to change or update. As we said with our Australia Rv. We started budget at around 15/20 k. But ended up at 33k and got what we required as no problems with body,chassis engine ect, But a little updating and a few extras. Extra solar, Roobar ect.

Plans would be to travel to USA, hire a car for a couple of months to scout around Rv dealers and private sales to find one to buy.
Use it and then where ever we end up, put it in storage till the next trip and so on.
Old 11-03-2020, 07:15 AM   #22

Quote:
So we were hoping to find a Spinter type on USA as after a few trips was going to ship it back to UK.
Sprinter with the wheel on the wrong side for the uk?
wannaclassc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 10:33 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaclassc View Post
Sprinter with the wheel on the wrong side for the uk?
Many European Motorhomes and cars in UK are left hookers. All legal and allowed.

Tags
fuel