Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2008, 07:32 AM   #15

Mid Atlantic Campers
Its true Gary, I meet the J people at the FMCA rally last week. You can use your own CC at truck pumps, $.09 pentalty. Use the J Credit card and you will save the $.09, and if you use your J travel card you save another $.01, for a total of $.10 per gallon. I signed up there for their Credit Card, not a bad deal since I hate the J RV service areas.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2008, 10:34 AM   #16
JRP

Their in house bank (TAB) card is convenient for those of us who prefer not to go inside before pumping at the truck islands. But be sure to pay it off fully each month since its default interest rate is about 20%.

Jim
JRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 11:55 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
I'm beginning to wonder if the J wants the big rig RV market. Without the cash price, using my CC, (that gives me and additional 5%) the J is just another "vanilla" truck stop. Until now, they set themselves apart from the competition.

If I use their CC I the loose 5% cash back on my CC. If I use my CC I loose the cash price. At 65 feet (coach and toad) I am too long to use the RV pumps. I'm not sure the J wants my business.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:13 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Flying J is just trying to keep their prices competitive. When you use a charge card at the pumps, Flying J has to pay a discount rate to the credit card company. A 2% credit card discount rate on diesel fuel right now is about 9 cents a gallon. They're just trying to level the playing field so that the credit card companies don't suck up all of the profits. Actually their are tiered rates that a business pays for accepting credit cards. In my business if a customer uses a rewards card I pay a higher transaction rate than a non-rewards card. Those rewards have to come from somewhere. If you have a 3-5% rewards card, chances are the card company is beating it out of the merchant and not paying it out of the goodness of their heart.

I don't see them as not wanting the RVer's business any more than they don't want the trucker's business. By using their own credit card they don't have to pay the discount rates, which helps keep their overhead down so that they can be price competitive.

In actuality, they aren't charging a surcharge. They are establishing the credit price as the regular price and then giving you a 9 cent discount for paying cash or using their own MasterCard. It's all the same. You post the cash price and then add on for credit or you post the credit price and deduct for cash or the Flying J card.

I do know that I won't go through the RV lanes any more. They are way too tight for my rig and they just aren't laid out very well for traffic flow. I guess I'll just have to get a Flying J MasterCard. It's not like I have to use it for everything. I'll just use it for fuel.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:40 PM   #19

Mid Atlantic Campers
When I spoke to the Honchos at the Flying J booth at the FMCA Rally, they seemed to be rather smug. I asked about upgrades to the RV service areas due to them being so tight for larger rigs. They responded with, New J's may get improved RV fueling lanes, BUT, the older ones will remain the same. Reason, we don't want to spend the money for upgrades. Truck isles work just fine for me, and yes, I will take the $.10 thank you.

Old 07-24-2008, 02:06 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Mark,
Let's look at this from a customer point of view. With the current program, the J has a competitive advantage and I use them exclusively. With the new program they are no different than their competitor(s); unless I spend $s in the store. Cash price is the cash price. The bottom line is with the new program, I pay more. This makes me feel less loyal to the J.

What the J has done, in 2008, is make changes to their program (for what ever reason(s)) that do nothing to keep my loyality. If I was a J executive, I'd be concerned about this. J executives really need to get their act together and come up with how to retain loyality.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 04:47 PM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I wonder what percentage of the Js RV customers use the truck lanes vs those that use the RV islands. At 60+ feet I'm one of those that use the RV island. There we do get the cash price with a credit card. I have never considered the $.01 per gallon discount an incentive anyway. 50 to 70 cent per fill-up is not a make or break issue. We get the discount or incentive from the credit card we use to enhance the cash price. On occasion I have taken advantage of the availability of propane and once I found that I had run out of water and resupplied while fueling. (It's on my agenda to upgrade to the See Level tank gages.) The J's changes really have made no significant difference to those us who use the RV islands. For those who go through the truck lanes it appears that you are losing most of your incentive to fuel at the J over any of the other truck stops. Maybe they feel that the RVs using the truck lanes are not that big of percentage of their RV business or that they are going to still get a percent of the RVs using truck lanes anyway, why cater?
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 05:36 PM   #22

Mid Atlantic Campers
Well, I do stay quit often in J over night. Like someone else stated .01 is not a deal maker, in my eyes convienance is. J is still the cheapest among the biggies.