Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2022, 07:33 AM   #1

Fuel Price In AZ and New Mexico

Why is gas so high in these two states? I read Russia and OPEC is going to cut output. So some claim sky high rates again.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2022, 07:46 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Lots of things can drive fuel price. Demand, supply, taxes and finally GREED.

Last year I drove through AZ and saw higher prices but when I needed fuel I checked Gasbuddy.com and found fuel 50 cents cheaper 1 block off interstate with easy in/out.

Just got back from a trip from TN to Pa. Wide range of diesel & gas prices. I did have to get diesel to make it back home and searched Gasbuddy.com and found an area of cheaper fuel in Maryland and stopped at a station and paid $4.37 per gallon. Lots of spots on the interstate for $5.

In Knoxville TN the nearest Sam's club had fuel for $4.25
Old 10-05-2022, 07:52 AM   #3

I am also a big fan of GasBuddy. After entering a location, click on "View Map".

You can scroll along your whole day's drive in 1-2 minutes. Locate stations and then go to Google Maps. Look at satellite and street view to verify easy in and out.

Yes, 5 minutes on the computer can save you $$$ and the "drama" of not knowing if you can get in/out of a station.
Old 10-05-2022, 07:56 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I like GasBuddy I got their credit card. I also got the mudflap app. It saved he about 80 cents per gallon on diesel on my last trip to NE
Old 10-05-2022, 08:02 AM   #5

What do you consider high ? Paid $5.39 in Reno Nv and the next day $3.33 in Bullhead City Az.
Old 10-05-2022, 08:05 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I tried using the APP on my phone and tablet but not as good. I just use the Gasbuddy.com on my laptop and search ahead of time on the route I will be following and look for lower prices. In most cases prices are clustered so if there is one low price there will be others.

There have only been a handful of cases I had to bypass a station because of access. Last year on a trip out west I needed fuel and not many options so I dropped my toad and got fuel.
Old 10-05-2022, 09:43 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
The Arizona pricing is pure greed. One group of stations went up 70 cents a gallon overnight this past Sunday. Like the drug industry they do it because they can and no one will do anything about it out of fear of losing their campaign donations.
Old 10-05-2022, 09:44 AM   #8

$3.15/$3.19 today in the Tucson area. That doesn't seem high to me!

https://www.gasbuddy.com/gasprices/arizona/tucson
Old 10-05-2022, 02:07 PM   #9

Left California on a trip Sept. 30, last gas was 6.999 regular unleaded at the border. Drove 36 miles into AZ gas was 4.399, found 4.199 in NM and Albuquerque is 4.349. Was told gas in Sacramento area where we are from is reaching 6.999. Why are prices going up, it's in the news everyday, obstacles placed in the way by our leaders in all ways of our oil production, buying our needs from unfriendly countries, OPEC limiting production, war in Ukraine etc.etc. Hard to believe 2 years ago we were energy independent. I feel for those less fortunate and the elderly who must heat their homes. I live in a state where the Gov. decides only E-Vehichles sold after 2035, then less than a week later they tell us to set AC no lower than 78 and don't charge E-Vehichles due to possible black outs. Although there are low prices in some states and I feel like I won the lottery, they were $2.00 less not that long ago. I use what I'll be, Fossil Fuel.
Old 10-05-2022, 02:20 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I asked the DW if she would like to take a trip to Califunny.
I told her six bucks a gallon, and we get 6 miles per gallon, so that's a buck a mile, how far do you want to go ?
We're going to Texas.........

Mike in Colorado
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Old 10-05-2022, 02:41 PM   #11

AZ gets its gas supply via pipeline from CA
CA has shutdown several refineries for scheduled maintenance and some due to unexpected maintenance

20" DIA West Line....Los Angeles>>>>Yuma>>>>Phoenix
60 percent of Arizona’s gasoline comes through the West Line. It takes seven days for a gallon of gasoline to reach Phoenix via the West Line

8"---12" Dia East Line......El Paso>>>>Tucson>>>>Phoenix
It takes six days for gallon of gasoline to reach Phoenix via the East Line.
Old 10-05-2022, 02:41 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donhdm View Post
Left California on a trip Sept. 30, last gas was 6.999 regular unleaded at the border. Drove 36 miles into AZ gas was 4.399, found 4.199 in NM and Albuquerque is 4.349. Was told gas in Sacramento area where we are from is reaching 6.999. Why are prices going up, it's in the news everyday, obstacles placed in the way by our leaders in all ways of our oil production, buying our needs from unfriendly countries, OPEC limiting production, war in Ukraine etc.etc. Hard to believe 2 years ago we were energy independent. I feel for those less fortunate and the elderly who must heat their homes. I live in a state where the Gov. decides only E-Vehichles sold after 2035, then less than a week later they tell us to set AC no lower than 78 and don't charge E-Vehichles due to possible black outs. Although there are low prices in some states and I feel like I won the lottery, they were $2.00 less not that long ago. I use what I'll be, Fossil Fuel.
"Hard to believe we were energy dependent." Not sure exactly what that meant. Is it also hard for you to believe that two years ago that were in a pandemic, and a very large part of the economy was shut down? Is it also hard for you to believe that from November of 2018 to August of 2020 drilling for new oil declined by 80%, going from over 880 oil well drilling rigs operating in the USA in November of 2018 dropping to only 180 oil well drilling rigs operating in the USA in August of 2020? Also, is it hard to believe that in 2020 that oil companies shut down 5 refineries?

Also, is it hard to believe that drilling for new oil has increased by over 200% from January 2021 to the present, going from about 267 oil well drilling rigs operating in the USA in January of 2021 to just short of 600 oil well drilling rigs operating in the USA currently?

The 3-year chart is most informative.
https://ycharts.com/indicators/us_oil_rotary_rigs
Old 10-05-2022, 02:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJStough View Post
"Hard to believe we were energy dependent." Not sure exactly what that meant. Is it also hard for you to believe that two years ago that were in a pandemic, and a very large part of the economy was shut down? Is it also hard for you to believe that from November of 2018 to August of 2020 drilling for new oil declined by 80%, going from over 880 oil well drilling rigs operating in the USA in November of 2018 dropping to only 180 oil well drilling rigs operating in the USA in August of 2020? Also, is it hard to believe that in 2020 that oil companies shut down 5 refineries?

Also, is it hard to believe that drilling for new oil has increased by over 200% from January 2021 to the present, going from about 267 oil well drilling rigs operating in the USA in January of 2021 to just short of 600 oil well drilling rigs operating in the USA currently?

The 3-year chart is most informative.
https://ycharts.com/indicators/us_oil_rotary_rigs
Drilling and producing wells are different animals
Many 'producing' wells get capped and do not go into supply chain
Old 10-05-2022, 03:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
What do you consider high ? Paid $5.39 in Reno Nv and the next day $3.33 in Bullhead City Az.

Anything above 2 bucks a gallon is high. I checked because we are going to AZ next week and all the states we are going through have somewhat reasonable gas prices except AZ and New Mexico
Closed Thread

Tags
fuel