Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2007, 01:12 PM   #15

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well,

Guess we will have to buy a house - Not

Live within 5 miles of WalMart in order to get there and back home on 2 gallons of Gas.

Spend the weekend at the above WalMart, put down the jacks, put out the slides, setup the awning, chairs and grill, oh yea and the satellite.

Shop Walmart for items to grill over the weekend.

Head home on the 1+ gallon of gas left, and get ready for WalMart camping next weekend.

Live within 2 miles of a Gas Station to get 2 gallons of new gas each weekend.

PetroPete will have to pry the last $20 bill out of my cold dead fingers for that gallon of gas!

Thanks Sam, wherever you are, for building all these WalMarts, so I can live within 5 miles of a great campground.
SideRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2007, 01:53 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
A few have mentioned "they'll be selling their RV's." What makes you think anyone will buy them as the cost of fuel continues to escalate?

If fuel does hit $5 per gallon, there will be a lot of RV dealers and manufacturer's go down the drain.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 03:32 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
WOW is that all WE can do is park,sell or complain about the high cost of fuel.
NO!
WE as a group must do something about OUR expenses.
How come as I read different topics on fuel economy most experts say drive around 55 mph to get the best fuel milage, but as I drive down the road doing 55-57 mph everyone is going past me doing 70-75 mph.
I have increased my fuel milage by 12% in the MH and changing the oil [using AMSOIL} in the toad by 20%.
IT'S time to stop complaining and do something.
SLOW DOWN
JOIN PASSPORT AMERICA--OR THE OTHER 2/3 DISCOUNT CAMPGROUND GROUPS [this will save US enough each night for about 5 gals of fuel]
Remember we are finely paying what the rest of the world is paying for fuel.
When you get to a CG see if Public
transportation is close to the CG [Cheaper than the toad]
Have more cookouts [a lot cheaper].

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 04:02 AM   #18

This was on cnn.com this AM (11-09-07). Let's see what the speculators do with this news.

cut & paste from cnn....(edited for length)

RIO DE JANEIRO, Brazil (AP) -- A huge offshore oil discovery could raise Brazil's petroleum reserves by a whopping 40 percent and boost this country into the ranks of the world's major exporters, officials said.

The government-run oil company Petroleo Brasileiro SA, or Petrobras, said the new "ultra-deep" Tupi field could hold as much as 8 billion barrels of recoverable light crude, sending Petrobras shares soaring and prompting predictions that Brazil could join the world's "top 10" oil producers.

Petrobras President Sergio Gabrielli said Thursday the oil from ultradeep areas, including the Tupi field, would give Brazil the world's eighth-largest oil and gas reserves.

Thursday's news of the discovery rocked a country that became a net oil exporter only last year but must still import light crude oil for the refined products it needs. Brazil produces -- and exports -- mostly heavy crude oil, which has to be mixed with the light oil in refineries.

Petrobras' American depository shares jumped $24.03 to $116.77 on the New York Stock Exchange to close at a 52-week high. In Brazil, Petrobras shares ended 14.1 percent higher Thursday at 80.17 reals ($45.94) in Sao Paulo.

"If this is confirmed, we will no longer be a 'medium' country, pursuing self-sufficiency and exporting a little. It will transform the nation to another level, with exporting properties like Venezuela, Arab nations and others," said Dilma Rousseff, presidential chief of staff.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:20 AM   #19

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick A
There was also an article on cnnmoney.com about Oil Shale being closer to a reality right here in the US. I don't believe that any of this will slow down the speculative investors. The only thing that is going to stop them is lower earnings, and as long the price continues to be driven up, they will continue to get rich on speculative investments while the rest of us get poorer. So until we can't afford to by gas anymore, this will continue.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:15 AM   #20

I or should I say we won't alter our rv lifestyle, this is what we wanted to do when we retired, we will become more selective on where we go, and probably not go as often, if oil prices keep escalating, but we will continue to rv. Ed.S
P.S. We also aren't wealthy and just like read and learn said: Who's going to buy your motorhome/fifth wheel/travel trailer and you certainly aren't going to give it away.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:24 AM   #21
AL

Florida Cooters Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Hi All,

The only problem I see with the DISCOUNT CAMPGROUND GROUPS helping us out is! From what I have been reading, they won't work for the long 1-3 month stays nor are they good at a lot of places during snowbird season! Or am I missing something??
Old 11-10-2007, 06:46 AM   #22

The democrats promised us they would do something about the high price of fuel. O well, so much for politicians promises!!!!
Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 11:06 AM   #23
AL

Florida Cooters Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Hi All,

Hey Lake every time the Democrats came into power where I worked, they told me what a great job I was doing and promised that nothing would change! Both times I was transfered with in a few months, and things changed, and it was not for the better of the tax payers either! Oh well I never did have a lot of faith in them !!!!
Old 11-10-2007, 11:48 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
If we cant afford to drive our rigs who is going to buy them? At the moment we have no plans to cut our travels down but down the road as gas prices go up we will simply drive shorter distances until eventually parking seasonally in a nice campground.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 11:50 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Both parties WANT higher gas prices. The Republicans in the form of higher profit for the oil companies, the Democrats in the form of higher taxes. Pick your poison.

If I could be assured that higher taxes would only go the our roads, it would be easier to accept. I know the government can't be trusted with my money, so I would rather the oil companies get the money, at least I can own their stock and get some of my money back.

Just my nickle's worth.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 04:11 AM   #26

Fuel prices are not high enough yet_ at least enough to affect driving habits (not lifestyle). I drove 120 miles yesterday, with the CC set on 55mph (speed limit). On that 4 lane highway I was the slowest vehicle, in both directions 100% of the time. When the majority of people begin to alter their driving habits(not lifestyle), then I'll agree fuel prices are too high.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 06:11 AM   #27

OK yall, lets PLEASE stick to what the thread was started as..... A discussion on HOW the fuel prices will affect your travel plans.

Lets please not turn it into a political discussion.

Thanks Yall
Old 11-11-2007, 01:54 PM   #28

Alpine Owners Club
I'm slowing down to 55 from 62-65. Last trip we took, driving 55 increased out mpg by 1, a 12% increase. Yesterday I purchased 54 gallons and it cost $200 .

We will keep keep on RV'ing. Maybe go out 2 times per month instead of 3-4.