Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2022, 05:57 PM   #1

Fuel Prices

We are unfortunately over 3,000 miles from home and have to return by end of month. Prices have shot up 30-60 cents per gallon in the last few days. It will shoot up further if our govt does what they should: stop buying Russian oil.

Trip back home will be at least 1/3 more costly than trip here (South Carolina).

We’ve had our Viking cruise to St. Petersburg at end of May cancelled.

Then first of June we planned to head to Alaska (from Idaho). Trip put off two years from Covid. Haven’t decided on cancelling it yet. Trying to figure out gas prices in Canada. And availability: saw a post limiting purchases to 30 liters. That won’t work with Martha’s 80 gal tank (~ 300 liters) and 7.5 mpg.
LarryinID is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2022, 06:05 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryinID View Post
We are unfortunately over 3,000 miles from home and have to return by end of month. Prices have shot up 30-60 cents per gallon in the last few days. It will shoot up further if our govt does what they should: stop buying Russian oil.

Trip back home will be at least 1/3 more costly than trip here (South Carolina).

Then first of June we planned to head to Alaska (from Idaho). Trip put off two years from Covid. Haven’t decided on cancelling it yet. Trying to figure out gas prices in Canada. And availability: saw a post limiting purchases to 30 liters. That won’t work with Martha’s 80 gal tank (~ 300 liters) and 7.5 mpg.
Our government does not buy oil from Russia, but I agree the US government should mandate that American oil companies stop buying oil from Russia.
Old 03-05-2022, 06:41 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Angry

I don't think there will be a problem getting enough fuel. With the high prices there should be a lot less driving done by a lot of people.

On the bright side, it should be easier to find a spot in most RV parks and campgrounds.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-05-2022, 07:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckftboy View Post
I don't think there will be a problem getting enough fuel. With the high prices there should be a lot less driving done by a lot of people.

On the bright side, it should be easier to find a spot in most RV parks and campgrounds.
you think the same people willing to pay 30k above MSRP for vehicles are going to stop buying gas in their 100k above MSRP motorhomes because of what?
You seem to have a lot of expectations for such feeble minded people.
Yillbs is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-05-2022, 08:45 PM   #5

Quote:

As long as you avoid Vancouver area your fuel will probably around 5.20 to 5.80 USD per US gallon. Unless prices continue to rise.

Enjoy your trip.

Glad my tow vehicle is electric.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-05-2022, 08:52 PM   #6

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-05-2022, 09:14 PM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
And availability: saw a post limiting purchases to 30 liters. That won’t work with Martha’s 80 gal tank (~ 300 liters) and 7.5 mpg.
That was back in November / December when we had serious flooding, and all the highways east of Vancouver got washed out.

Rationing's over now.
Old 03-05-2022, 10:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJStough View Post
Our government does not buy oil from Russia, but I agree the US government should mandate that American oil companies stop buying oil from Russia.
IIRC, as of a few months ago, the US was only getting about 4% of our oil products from Russia. Cutting that wouldn't appreciably affect either buyers or sellers.

More of a problem is that the world's oil supply is basically one big barrel. If the rest of the world tries to limit Russian purchases, demand goes up for everyone else's oil production, and so world prices will rise.

But China will take most of what Russia can produce, which means China won't be bidding for everyone else's oil, so prices should stay stable as everything just sort of cancels out.

That's a long way of saying, this new Russian mess won't actually affect our oil supplies or prices much. I'd take that trip, because you can buy more gas, but not more time.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-05-2022, 10:49 PM   #9

Fuel price whining thread #42

We’re going for a record!
propchef is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-05-2022, 10:53 PM   #10

Best deal I could find on diesel today in my area was $5.65/gal.

Gas Buddy is way out of date. Prices are probably changing faster than they can be updated on the app.
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-05-2022, 10:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldubs View Post
Best deal I could find on diesel today in my area was $5.65/gal.

Gas Buddy is way out of date. Prices are probably changing faster than they can be updated on the app.
Gas buddy is crowd sourced so people actually have to update it.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-05-2022, 11:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by radar View Post
Gas buddy is crowd sourced so people actually have to update it.

Thanks Radar. I understood that. Prices are changing too fast to keep up. I saw several out of date prices that were reported 12 hours earlier. Not a few cents out of date. More like fifty cents out of date.

There is one station in my area that actually dropped in the last week from $4.95 to $4.79 (diesel/gal).

One thing I've noticed before is gaso prices fluctuated much more frequently than diesel, which seemed to hold longer at a given price. I'm not sure that is going to be the case now.
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-06-2022, 05:07 AM   #13

Quote:

Not working yet. Plus we got kicked out of Pee Dee State Park yesterday due to approaching forest fire. Spent the night in a nearby family dollar.
Old 03-06-2022, 05:11 AM   #14

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by radar View Post
As long as you avoid Vancouver area your fuel will probably around 5.20 to 5.80 USD per US gallon. Unless prices continue to rise.

Enjoy your trip.

Glad my tow vehicle is electric.
Thanks. I’ll work up the conversion and track. Did you account for the difference of the Canadian dollar?

Tags
fuel