Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2009, 04:23 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to OldHiker Send a message via Yahoo to OldHiker
Full Carry Permit

I know there are many threads about carrying a gun on the rig for personal protection. I also know you can't carry it across state borders if the state you are going into does not reciprocate with your state. But.....

What's to stop you from getting several full carry permits? My state, NY, does not recognize any other state permit. But it seems if I apply to say Florida for a permit, even though I am not a resident, it's ok and can be granted. Then I could use that permit for all the states that Florida has reciprocal laws with, about 20. Can I do this wherever the lenient states allow non-residents to get full carry permits and use them for reciprocating with even more states?

Am I missing something?
OldHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2009, 04:42 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
i beleive you can not apply in a state where you are not a resident
in tn your primary ID to apply is your drivers license,we are a recipacal state w/almost every body just move to tn low prop taxes no income tax and lower unemployment than most
brianj
Old 08-02-2009, 04:58 PM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Some states do indeed issue nonresident permits. PA does. DE does not.

NJ and MD don't even issue permits to their own residents. Well.....under rare circumstances they do, but for all practical purposes you can't get one.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 05:20 PM   #4

This is the Florida law. It does not state that you must be a resident of Florida to get a permit. You must be finger printed in Florida, that's it.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/...n%2006#0790.06
Old 08-02-2009, 07:22 PM   #5
sip

Winnebago Owners Club
I have a Florida permit. Yes non residents can have one. You need to be finger printed and go through a back ground check. You mast also attend a class and fire a gun in frount of the presenter. If You were in the military present a copy of your DD214 (discharge with your application and the course is waved. I would recomend everyone take the course to keep out of trouble. I think at last count 27 states have resaprosity with FL.
sip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 05:19 AM   #6

I am a retired police officer and do not carry a concealed weapon. I do however have firearms in my stick house and moho...why..because I do. I could never understand why someone would want to carry a weapon on their person. If someone tries to enter my "homes" without permission , I have every right to protect me and mine. Carrying a weapon on the street is an invition to disaster.
Law in Fla. for carrying a weapon in your car. The two action rule..the weapon is in the glove compartment and in a holster. In other words it take two separate actions to access the weapon.

and in spirit, chance.
jurzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:02 AM   #7

A majority of states have formal reciprosity with or at least recognize the Utah concealed weapons permit and out of state residents can get a permit from Utah. Check out the State of Utah for the requirements.

Neil
2pedersens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:20 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
If you get a FLA permit and a Utah permit you will have the majority of states covered.
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:37 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tncruiser View Post
in tn your primary ID to apply is your drivers license,we are a recipacal state w/almost every body just move to tn low prop taxes no income tax and lower unemployment than most
brianj
thus is why i enjoy this forum lots of folks who know more than me and differant info always good stuff ,i do stand on my info about tn a great place to live tho thanks
brianj
Old 08-03-2009, 01:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurzbill View Post
I am a retired police officer and do not carry a concealed weapon. I do however have firearms in my stick house and moho...why..because I do. I could never understand why someone would want to carry a weapon on their person. If someone tries to enter my "homes" without permission , I have every right to protect me and mine. Carrying a weapon on the street is an invitation to disaster.
Law in Fla. for carrying a weapon in your car. The two action rule..the weapon is in the glove compartment and in a holster. In other words it take two separate actions to access the weapon.
I totally agree with your response. I would not walk the streets with a gun in my pocket, but since I travel in my moho, just as in my stick built, I want protection for me and mine.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:09 PM   #11

There is a way to carry a weapon in virtually all states, obtain a FFL (federal firearms dealers license). Last time I checked the fee was $1,000, and you must meet stringent BATF requirements.
I'd like to add a comment to jurzbill's excellent post. If you are considering buying and carrying a firearm, please buy this book_ and read several times: In The Gravest Extreme, The Role of the Firearm in Personal Protection; by Massad F. Ayoob. It is about $15 in paperback edition.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:30 PM   #12

Like many RV's I have a carry permit (Florida), but I carry a Mossberg 500 16" shotgun in my coach and a Kel-Ted 380 auto in my toad. Going from state to state, I don't make an effort to keep track of which state I am legal. (27 I believe). This illegal I know, but choose to take the chance. I rarely carry the pistol on my person and never brandish any weapon. It is now legal to have a weapon in a national park, but illegal in many state parks. Too confusing for me. I just do what I think is necessary and will play stupid on the odd chance I am ever caught. I would never attempt to take a weapon into Canada or Mexico.
Old 08-09-2009, 05:19 PM   #13

Jurzibil said " I could never understand why someone would want to carry a weapon on their person. "

In 2006, while living in San Diego at an rv park, fulltiming, My wife and I went down to the waterfront to eat dinner. Let it be know that I carry, I use and I am not afraid to do whatever it takes to protect me and mine.
Upon departure and going to the parking area, we were approached by two men, flashing knives , and demanding my and her wallets. I simply open my coat jacket, reached for the "protective device" and viola, those two derelicts, disappeard so fast, the olympics would love to have them. Had they had weapons of gunpower, they would have gotten all our money . Granddaddy raised me to always remember this "Never go to gun fight, with something lesser than what they have".
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:23 AM   #14

Texas Boomers Club
I know that in Texas, you must be a resident of the state for 6 months or more to get a CHP. I'm sure that the other states have similar laws. While reading up on this, I saw an article from the Tallahasee newspaper that said Florida is having 14-15,000 applications for a license every month. They have added over 25% more personnell to handle the applications.