Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2023, 11:03 AM   #1

Full hookup for storage pad.

As soon as it stops raining, I'm going to put full hookups on our storage pad.
My question is where to put them. The water connects at the front of the TT, the electric power is at the rear, and the sewer dump in the center.
I envision putting all three on one backboard and setting it near the center of a 50-foot pad. That will make the length to either end within 25' or so, or within an extension cord length.
This pad has to serve our TT and possibly a visitor's TT or MH. And at our age must also fit whoever buys this home after us.
So, am I right in thinking I should group all the services in the center?
Or are most set up near the rear? It would be very easy to put both the electric, water, and sewer near the rear and run a second water outlet to the front of the pad.
Right now, before I put down the gravel, It will be easy to put these wherever.
But once the gravel is in it becomes more difficult. Thanks, DR
DR60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2023, 12:05 PM   #2

1st you need to ask how comfortable do you want your guests? That is do you want to discourage the brother-in-law who stops by for a weekend that stretches into 5 years?

Also local zoning may give you grief. I said it's my land, I pay the taxes darn it so I'll do what I want

2 50 Amp, 1 30, 1 20 on a fence post next to a concrete pad for me. Surrounding area relativeley flat for guests.

Water & Sewer about 50 feet away in opposite directions. If I grade it off then I'll look into fancy campground style pedestals.
Old 03-22-2023, 12:16 PM   #3

Drivers side of the coach or trailer, midway, sounds perfectly normal. I don’t like parks that have the hookups in the rear.
Old 03-22-2023, 12:19 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A lot depends on your rig. For your trailer I'm going to guess your utilities could be anywhere along it's length but that's just a generalization. If that's the case though, then keeping the pad hook ups at the mid point might be best. Many rv parks group them together towards the rear which is how ours was set up in Az. As for your friend's rig- I think they have to get creative by using a long extension with the sewer if you could manage a fresh water split so they could have a separate spigot on their side plus and extra elect. ped. on their side as well it would complete the picture if you had approx 200a service to the pad. Lots of variables here....good luck! (Also I wouldn't worry about the guy who comes in after you except to include all 3 utilities in some pattern in one spot).
Old 03-22-2023, 12:36 PM   #5

I would prioritize the sewer connection. Water hose & elec cord relatively easy to run. Middle seems like a good compromise. Mid also works well for multi slide out units. I would keep far enough away from the pad to allow storage bay doors to open w/o interfering when unit is close to edge of the pad.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 01:14 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Health safety and local building codes usually demand that sewer lines be separated from fresh water lines. Sometimes by as much as 8-10 feet. And water hoses and electrical cords can be readily extended, but not so much with sewer lines.

I'd put the water & electric adjacent and near the middle or slightly toward the rear, preferably on the driver side, and the sewer line in the back corner where it is mostly out of the way.

As for future owners, I figure my convenience and comfort far outweighs any consideration for them. Heck, the future owner may not even own an RV.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 01:23 PM   #7

During our FT travels we encounter ALL kinds of utility set ups
Front, Rear, Middle, electric at one end/water at other end etc

The set up I like the best was everything 'MID' location

What are your local permit requirements?
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 03:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Health safety and local building codes usually demand that sewer lines be separated from fresh water lines. Sometimes by as much as 8-10 feet. And water hoses and electrical cords can be readily extended, but not so much with sewer lines.

I'd put the water & electric adjacent and near the middle or slightly toward the rear, preferably on the driver side, and the sewer line in the back corner where it is mostly out of the way.

As for future owners, I figure my convenience and comfort far outweighs any consideration for them. Heck, the future owner may not even own an RV.
Meaning all your sinks and showers are 8 feet from your toilets . .And of course separate drains for them out to the street.
Old 03-22-2023, 03:40 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
You could get fancy and go with this.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/27560963724...3729acce926f52

Name:   s-l300.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  4.5 KB
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 03:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Or if you don’t need a Tesla rocket in your side yard

https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-RV-Pa...32SS/203393689
Old 03-22-2023, 03:47 PM   #11

First check your ordinances to see if this is even allowed.

Then I'd put all 3 in the center. The sewer is the most important & we always preferred a straight-out connection; no bends, curves or long distances.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 05:04 PM   #12

Putting the sewer line too close to the valves means either a very short hose or keeping the longer hose collapsed. One other thing to consider if you plan on having guests stay is a cable hookup. If you are running conduit for a power line, run another for the cable.
glwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 06:31 PM   #13

You can find sewer and water that are buried in corrugated pipe and double wall cap. That puts it more incognito from the road or other prying eyes. A cord is one thing to see but water and sewer another.
All depths same price. Forth pic is what I'm speaking of.
Aquor Ground Hydrant, Freezeless Frost Proof Yard Hydrant, Lead-Free with Drain Port — Bury Depth 12 inch, Blue https://a.co/d/67LFr7J
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 06:38 PM   #14

Siemens Talon Panel https://a.co/d/87pybj6
Has knockouts for 4 1/2" breakers so you can run another 50 and a couple 20s for x-mas lights, power tools, battery chargers, etc

2nd 50 Amp plug off the Talon Panel with feed through conduit of course
https://a.co/d/87pybj6

Tags
storage