Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2016, 07:37 AM   #43

Great comments! Wife and I just turned 58, have the '04 Vectra for traveling, plus splurged on a new Jeep Wrangler four door as the toad. We just sold our house/business and are ready to travel a bit this summer, eventually landing at our place in northern Arizona. I'm not ready to full time, have too many toys, mainly cars, to give up. Both of our fathers died young, and we come from that side of the family. So, barring any health difficulties ourselves, we want to live the high-life now, just in case~!

Time does fly, and the relative time difference between 58 and say 65, is not that great.
Grenadiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2016, 08:22 AM   #44

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Hi Kalen, I suspect that the more "migrant" personality types are drawn to and more likely to enjoy the full-timing lifestyle. I am one of those types. After my wife of 23 years left with her boyfriend; I inherited lots of debt, lost most savings, and had few reasons to be "stuck" in one place. For me, full-timing has allowed me to live reasonably inexpensively while continuing to work (software engineer) on the road. For some, full-timing is the end game. For me, it is the means to an end. That end is full time living on a sailboat in the Caribbean. I am immensely enjoying this phase of the journey but it is obviously not for everyone.

The transition was easy for me - spend three years trying to sell an underwater house before finally taking a $50k loss to stop the bleeding, sell/donate all the junk, and then drive away.

I'm curious to your underlying question. Almost sounds like you may want to stop full-timing and put down some roots, IMO, there is nothing wrong with that. Few decisions have to be forever; if you decide you want to try something different, go for it.
Old 05-11-2016, 10:07 PM   #45

[QUOTE=SpaceNorman;3062953 I'm confident that she'll join me in the realization selling the house, earmarking the cash (we own our home outright) for our "exit plan" and taking advantage of the opportunity to "full time" for some period of time makes economic sense for us. She just needs to come to the realization that she's not giving up anything ... but is instead gaining freedom and flexibility .... in her own time.[/QUOTE]

It seems like you're waiting for her to make the decision as you already have done so. This is great and it's the way it should be. Full-timing never works if both are not totally for it. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
One thing I would miss being full time is having a "go to" repair shop for the MH. Near the sticks and bricks house we found a mom and pop diesel truck shop that I think we can trust. Wonderful NY has yearly motor vehicle inspections and the MH needs to have a "heavy truck" inspection. They always get us in quickly and have done some minor repairs for what I would call cheap compared to some other work we have had done.

Also any service that might take a week or more, well who cares, I will be home, call me when it's done.
Service is definitely not difficult when full-timing. First, the majority of full-timers change to a more friendly domicile and for your purpose you probably wouldn't have to have inspections depending where you change. There's a big misconception about Texas domicile (very popular with full-timers) in that folks think they need yearly inspections. That's not true. You only need a inspection if you stay in Texas for a period of time. You can drive through and not have to have an inspection. Registration is done online and you just check a box telling them that you're exempt. Easy.

Many full-timers return to the same spot yearly for a small period of time. They have a tendency to winter in the same place or go to visit their kids for a period of time. That's when they get their medical check-ups. That's when you get your RV serviced if you have a favorite facility.

Even while traveling you quickly find ways to zero in on good repair facilities - manufacturer-related or word of mouth from other RVers with the same type of RV.

Unless it's a dire emergency, full-timers make an appointment for when they can be at the facility - even if it's a couple states away. If special parts are needed the facility orders them in and they'll be ready for you. You pull in the day before the appointment and most likely you'll get electric hookup to spend the night. The next morning they take your RV and do the repair. You go out to breakfast, perhaps do some shopping, go to a movie or sitesee or take a lawn chair and find a nice park to read your book. When they know that it is your home they do it right away. It's finished by afternoon and you're always welcome to spend another night before traveling again. In 16 years we've never had to wait for maintenance or repairs, although we rarely had any. This is how full-timers handle things. It all goes smoothly after a while. Really!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 05:08 PM   #46

DW and i volunteer at State Parks and National parks for 5 months at a time. Last winter was Az. This summer is Ak. Then next winter is Fl. We love the lifestyle. We go to visit our daughter who now owns our house and see all our grand kids. then it is back on the road to someplace warm. When I can't drive all over the country we will rent an apt. Havin fun for now

Tags
fulltime