Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2014, 01:33 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Fulltiming with 3 kids: 5er or DP?

I'm looking for some input from people who have had both a motorhome and fifth wheel at some point. My wife and I are struggling with this decision.

We have 3 kids - ages 10, 3 and 1. I am in the fortunate position of being able to telecommute so our plan is to take a a year, travel, experience and possibly find a new, warm (we're over Michigan!) place to establish ourselves after our adventure.

The dilemma stems from the method of doing this. We already own a well appointed 45' DP. We think we may have it sold, actually - but now we are both having second thoughts.

Setting up and tearing beds down every evening gets tiresome, so we were looking at bunkhouse fifth wheels like the Open Range 427BHS and the Heartland Gateway. We love the idea of the kids having their own space. I have a 2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ Crew Cab - so a tow vehicle isn't an issue.

The issue is weighing out the pros and cons of fifth wheel vs motorhome. For us, the biggest pros are related to the more residential feeling and family friendly floorplans. Less maintenance also tops the pros list. The cons are, for me, everything else. The inflexibility while actually traveling (though we'd be staying in one place for 3-4 weeks each), 3 kids packed into a pickup (one thought was bringing my wife's van as well), the fact that they're not as full-time friendly until you get into rigs that require medium trucks to pull, etc. Personally, I would miss the luxuries like heated floors, no propane, all electric, etc.

Has anyone owned both and faced a similar situation? Which would you prefer - fifth wheel or class A DP and why?

Thank you in advance for helping us with our dilemma!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2014, 01:46 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If I had to make the choice I would go for the DP with bunk beds. Tiffin has a Phaeton floor plan with bunk beds. (40 QKH)

Phaeton Luxury Motorhome | Tiffin Motorhomes

My reasoning would be that being able to access all the facilities while going down the road with 3 kids would be a big bonus.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:51 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks Jon, we already have a DP -- the Mountain Aire 4528 bath and a half floorplan. One thought is to remodel and retrofit bunks into it if we end up keeping it.

I like the look of that QKH though
Old 04-24-2014, 08:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindyT View Post
Thanks Jon, we already have a DP -- the Mountain Aire 4528 bath and a half floorplan. One thought is to remodel and retrofit bunks into it if we end up keeping it.

Then I would do that. Could be done for nominal cost. Few K at most.You already know this rig.
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:01 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindyT View Post

Keep the coach, send the kids to military school and you can visit them on holidays, birthdays and other special occasions.

Just kidding.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:43 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfran304 View Post
Keep the coach, send the kids to military school and you can visit them on holidays, birthdays and other special occasions.

Just kidding.

Jon
Now that's the kind of forward thinking I was hoping for!
Old 04-28-2014, 08:04 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My first thought was...OMG...Jeff Daniels and his full timing family in the movie RV.

Any thing would be an improvement over what we had in 1962 during a 6 week trip around the western US. We has a 20' TT towed by a Buick for mom, dad, my 3 sisters and myself.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 02:47 PM   #8

IMHO No way I would try doing what you want to with a 5th wheel!!

DP is the way to go.
C.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 02:57 PM   #9

I have a similar situation, I have 4 boys, 14, 11, 10 and 3, we do small vacations in a 30ft TTw/BH towed by a Yukon. The smaller size doesn't really bother me so much as I keep the kids out and about during the day.

We plan to eventually fulltime once the two oldest boys head off to college in about 6 years. I'm no longer interested in owning a "tow truck" for a trailer and a second fuel efficient vehicle. I'd much rather have a DP and a Toad (Like a Jeep or somesuch). We're in MD and we definitely want to move away from this state for mostly political reasons, but if we could find a place that was both warm and reasonable that wouldn't hurt. I want to take my time finding the right place to settle down, 6 months maybe even a year fulltiming.

Bottom line, DP + Toad.
defekticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 03:03 PM   #10
Community Moderator

OMG. keep the Newmar you have and remodel ! You already have the "cream of the crop" ! !

You also have the option of setting up a tent next to the motorhome sometimes.....kids would love the variety of choice.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote