Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2005, 01:00 PM   #1

I live in central MN. Will be having many guests for Christmas. I have never used the furnace in my 1999 Winnebago Chieftain in the dead of winter, will I be able to have some people stay over night in the coach and be comfortable with the furnace on.

Thanks

Sunset
Sunset 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2005, 01:00 PM   #2

I live in central MN. Will be having many guests for Christmas. I have never used the furnace in my 1999 Winnebago Chieftain in the dead of winter, will I be able to have some people stay over night in the coach and be comfortable with the furnace on.

Thanks

Sunset
Old 12-04-2005, 01:20 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sunset;
You did not say if you need water in your system? If you have at least 30A power and run your furnace along with a portable electric heater it should be comfortable. You will have a moisture build up. Depending on the temperature you may have moisture build up on windows and metal frames around doors and windows. we stayed in an older 87 M/H in temps down to 12 above for a few days. We did not use the water system and we flushed the toilet with windshield washer antifreeze. A little ventilation would help.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 01:44 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you depend totally on the furnace, you will burn a lot of propane. Best if you use a small electric heater if it very cold. If you wil ahve people showering in the coach, you will need to keep the basement warm and dump and rewinterize it before you let if get cold inside.

Also with several people in the coach you will need to keep a vent cracked open to let out the excess moisture or the windows will weat a lot.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 03:21 AM   #5

To; Sunset 1

As mentioned in one of the postings above, condensation is a big factor when using your rv heat system in cold weather. If you have Max-Air covers on your ceiling exhaust fans, leave a vent open all the time. This will deal with condensation and will also provide better air circulation. Condensation will ruin an rv's interior and also do a job on structural adhesives. Also, I think there is more of a chance for an accident with people not used to rv's with portable electric heaters,maybe use the electric bed warmers, buy propane furnace should be enough, but be sure to have a vent open,,.

Hope this info is of use to you.. Thanks AJBJRVERS
Old 12-05-2005, 04:03 AM   #6

morning Sunset 1: We routinely use our MH in below freezing weather. Besides the things already mentioned, if the coach is plugged into shore power an electric blanket on the bed really helps for a comfortable, warm sleep. It also heats up the mattress so getting into bed is a pleasure. Even if not plugged into shore power we run the generator for a hour before bed and watch TV, the bed is always nicely warmed up. I should also mention that the furnace will come on a lot!!! like every 10 minutes even if the temp. is set low and be sure to have the tank FULL. As temps outside drop the effectiveness of propane drops so it takes more propane to run the furnace than at warmer temps. Have a good Christmas.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:52 AM   #7

Sunset 1, you likely have a 28 gallon LP tank on your coach. My experience in 20 degree weather living in the coach for four days was to burn through 3/4 of that tank... but that was 'boondocking' without electric assist.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:08 AM   #8

Sunset; If you have shore power you may want to consider a small de-humidifer in addition to a portable electric heater. They sure help in reducing the condensation problem.

Jack
Old 12-05-2005, 06:53 AM   #9

Thanks so much to all of you for the information. Tere will be only two people using it for overnight. I have only a 20 amp power source to plug into so maybe one portable heater will work. They will not be showering or using any water, maybe the toilet, but can use antifreeze to flush.

Must I still be concerned about moisture build up?
I can ventilate through the roof fan.

Thanks again for all the help.

Sunset 1
Old 12-05-2005, 08:18 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Novi:
As temps outside drop the effectiveness of propane drops so it takes more propane to run the furnace than at warmer temps. Have a good Christmas. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The effectiveness of the propane furnace is not any less at lower temps, nor does it take more propane to run at lower temps. But, it will take more propane to keep warm as you have to run the furnace a lot more to keep up with the heat loss due to it being so much colder outside.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote