Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2014, 02:35 PM   #29

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
That's correct. But, I do know how RV's are built.....and they don't waste money & time "ducting" cold air returns to furnaces..... Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2014, 06:53 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook View Post
That's correct. But, I do know how RV's are built.....and they don't waste money & time "ducting" cold air returns to furnaces..... Rook
Excuse me, but I never mentioned a return air DUCT. That seems to be something you added.
joshuajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 07:05 PM   #31

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yeah, I know. You didn't mention a lot of things, including a ducted air return, that would be necessary to get enough vacuum to cause this......, "take a sheet of news paper and hold it over the return air grill. If it isn't sucked tight to the grill when running, you have a fan problem" Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 07:49 PM   #32
Commercial Member

Here is a link to the service manual http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/hflamefurn04.pdf
Old 11-20-2014, 06:33 AM   #33

Still trying to narrow down the problem. Filled the propane tank last night and seemed a slight bit better but still not hot. :-( Thankful for space heaters at the moment.
NY Camper 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 08:30 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook View Post
Yeah, I know. You didn't mention a lot of things, including a ducted air return, that would be necessary to get enough vacuum to cause this......, "take a sheet of news paper and hold it over the return air grill. If it isn't sucked tight to the grill when running, you have a fan problem" Rook
Seems that you want to discuss your superior knowledge of RV construction and how many angels can dance on the head of a pin versus my trying to help someone solve their problem.

Have a nice day. BYE!
joshuajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 09:03 AM   #35

Ford Super Duty Owner
OK Folks!!!! I've had both types of units. I'll try a common sense approach because I don't have any specific details. I also don't believe you need them anyway.

A furnace is a furnace is a furnace. Hot gases heat up cold air from inlet vent return and blow heated air out through a ducting system to your coach. Cold air in and hot air out. They all work the same. You say not very much heat or air flow.

Get the flow part fixed first.

Even if a TT does not actually have a ducted/filtered cold air return as in a home it is still located inside some compartment. That compartment will have some sort of an access cover for repair work. Maybe you won't have a filter but it's still a cover over an opening and it can't be a closed off cover or lid because then you would not have any way for air to get into the furnace. So that has to be your access point for the cold air return. It can't work unless the furnace has access to some air flow.

Maybe your furnace is located in an outside compartment (mine was). I doubt that the cold air going into the furnace is cold outside air. That would make no sense to draw in outside very cold air and try to heat it up to warm the inside of your unit. If that's what you have that's stupid.

So I'll assume that even if the furnace is inside a compartment only accessible from the outside it still has a vent inside the coach to draw in coach air. That's where I'd check for air flow and there can only be a very few places it can be located (ours was next to our double bed). Turn on the furnace and listen for the motor. Go to the sound and you should find a screened or grilled opening for return air. Check for air flow as described.

What is the color of the flame in the furnace??? If it is somewhat yellow then it's not burning correctly. It should be blue. That's not good.

Do you have an infrared heat gauge???? They are cheap and very helpful. Just point/click and you have immediate temps. Check all 4 duct outlets for temps. What are they??? You can't check for air flow easily. A strip of paper in the air flow will give you an idea. Now you can close off three of the ducts and see if the flow increases. Maybe through that process you can determine if one is blocked off more than the others.

Start this trouble shooting process to determine a direction. You have full propane but don't know the color of the flame. Maybe the valve controlling the gas flow is defective. Any flow control might effect the flame color and therefore output heat.
Figure out the air flow issue next.

TeJay
Old 11-20-2014, 09:09 AM   #36

I will get to trying all your suggestions when I get home tonight. Thank you for your insite
NY Camper 86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace