Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2018, 10:21 AM   #1

Galley Tank will not drain

We have a 2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB 5th Wheel and the galley tank will not drain when we are camping, staionary. However, if I keep the galley tank drain valve open and we are driving bingo it will drain.
We bought the unit used and initially suspected that who initially owned put a lot garbage, coffee grounds etc down the sink and over time has plugged the tank. I tried back flushing but this was not successful.

Now that I know it will drain while I am driving, I suspect that the vent is plugged and will test by fill with 20 liters (5 Gallons) and removing the p-trap(?) u joint underneath the kitchen sink. If it drains while I am stationary I know the vent is plugged ?????. 2 questions

Is this a correct assumption and way to test?

The problem hear is if it is a plugged vent where is it and how do you unplug?

If it is not the vent. the next thing to do is cut into the underbelly and replace the drain valve as it may not be working correctly and does not open fully? That will be another issue I will deal with when the time comes.

Any feed back on your thoughts is greatly appreciate, the trailer has been great so far but as most realize nothing in life comes without challenges.
Less than a year to full timing (t-minus 337 days), enjoy all.
emuller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2018, 11:45 AM   #2

Not being familiar with your rig, there are a few questions. First, do you have a separate galley tank from the grey water tank with a separate valve? Second, when you drive with the valve open and the tank drains, does it drain all at once in a continuous flow or does it drain in bursts?Third, have you looked under the sink to see if there is a vent check valve rising up to nearly counter level?
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 12:01 PM   #3

Roof top vent......
Eyeball where galley tank is located then look up...closest vent cap S/B the vent for galley tank

Removing 'P' trap OR even the Air Admittance Valve (just downstream of 'P' trap....valve that allows air in when draining tank so 'P' traps do not get sucked dry)
Will provide a 'vent' for galley tank..
If draining of galley tank improves then vent line is blocked....up on roof, remove vent cap and check if end of pipe is even with roof line OR has fallen down (fallen down will block end of vent line inside tank as level covers it)
Pipe even with roof line.then push a hose with pressure nozzle on end down into vent line....open galley tank dump valve and turn on water to blast vent line clear
(If blocked and clears up you will see an increase in draining from tank)

Other possibilities

Dump valve not fully opening
Cut out disc (disc made by cutting hole in tank for vent line, sink drain line and out dump line) was left in tank....floats around and then gets sucked down to tank outlet when dumping blocking off outlet (requires removal of drain valve and grabbing disc and yanking it out)
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 02:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
Not being familiar with your rig, there are a few questions. First, do you have a separate galley tank from the grey water tank with a separate valve? Second, when you drive with the valve open and the tank drains, does it drain all at once in a continuous flow or does it drain in bursts?Third, have you looked under the sink to see if there is a vent check valve rising up to nearly counter level?
Thank you for the follow up and yes it is a separate tank and yes it has its own drain valve. The way the unit is configured the drain line goes from under the sink 90 elbow under the stove/oven and then down to galley tank, Why who knows, probably because of the support of the galley tank.. When it drains, I left the drain valve open (I know not what you should do) and the first time it was a big rush of galley water, next time same, leave the valve open and it was in bursts. This is sort of giving me the idea that the vent is plugged.
Old 06-28-2018, 02:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Roof top vent......
Eyeball where galley tank is located then look up...closest vent cap S/B the vent for galley tank

Removing 'P' trap OR even the Air Admittance Valve (just downstream of 'P' trap....valve that allows air in when draining tank so 'P' traps do not get sucked dry)
Will provide a 'vent' for galley tank..
If draining of galley tank improves then vent line is blocked....up on roof, remove vent cap and check if end of pipe is even with roof line OR has fallen down (fallen down will block end of vent line inside tank as level covers it)
Pipe even with roof line.then push a hose with pressure nozzle on end down into vent line....open galley tank dump valve and turn on water to blast vent line clear
(If blocked and clears up you will see an increase in draining from tank)

Other possibilities

Dump valve not fully opening
Cut out disc (disc made by cutting hole in tank for vent line, sink drain line and out dump line) was left in tank....floats around and then gets sucked down to tank outlet when dumping blocking off outlet (requires removal of drain valve and grabbing disc and yanking it out)
Old-Biscuit, I think you hit the nail on the wall. A yearago, I noticed the cap covering a vent line was broken off, I installed a new this spring. I will go back up and check on the orientation of the vent after doing the ptrap thing to check if I get drainage
Really appreciate the feedback from everyone and will update as soon as I have an opportunity to visit trailer and check. Right now it is offsite in storage until my next trip.

Tags
tank