Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2021, 10:24 AM   #1

Garbage coming off the rv assembly line

I wonder if the combination of parts shortages and covid caused labor disruptions mean that there's many defective rvs coming off the assembly.......I mean more than the usual amount of junk that manufacturers produce.
Fogbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2021, 10:55 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Right now they know they can sell anything coming off the line so quality is not a big concern!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 11:39 AM   #3
US1

1 would think they would be have to be thinking ahead, like when they are swamped with warranty claims/rework.

Until the public stops buying problematic products, business as usual.
Old 02-26-2021, 01:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by US1 View Post
1 would think they would be have to be thinking ahead, like when they are swamped with warranty claims/rework.

Until the public stops buying problematic products, business as usual.
With a typical 1 year warranty, the manufacturers gamble that the new buyer will not use it much and they will escape warranty claims because the warranties are now expired. Factory reimbursement to dealers service centers is low for warranty claims so dealers are less than enthusiastic to process claims. The bean counters already know what the expected warranty return rate is and profits are adjusted accordingly.

Most issues show up past the factory warranty period especially expensive structural ones and at that point guess who eats the problem? The high cost of aftermarket service plans (also called extended "warranties") also factors in anticipated failures and also expects that many owner's won't have correctly jumped through all the hoops in order to get a claim paid.

Highlighted is the answer but not likely to happen.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 02:42 PM   #5

Well, since the industry and consumer groups don't track such things, who knows.

#goodluck
propchef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 03:18 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Click image for larger version

Name:	770BF047-B04F-47E2-87D6-4F3BB6EBA16D.jpeg
Views:	7
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	319415
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 04:04 PM   #7

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker View Post
Factory reimbursement to dealers service centers is low for warranty claims so dealers are less than enthusiastic to process claims.
I believe this! I went to a dealer that had a new travel trailer that I am interested in so I could see it in person. This one was already sold and "ready" for delivery. I kid you not when I say the furnace was sitting at an angle to the cabinet and one side was easily over an inch out from the cabinet while the other side was touching. Trim was missing in a few places. The door did not shut properly so I just left it open after viewing.

I can't imagine the other issues that are hidden and only show up upon initial use.

I decided I would not be ordering one, maybe the newbies will have them all fixed and selling them next year and I can get a good deal.
rbTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 04:32 PM   #8

They were coming out broken well before the pandemic.

I looked at 5 or 6, same model, new, Class A RVs.

Every one had obvious issues including jambed slides, broken mirrors, trim laying on the beds and lose, crooked cabinet doors. This was at 2 different competing dealers.

Salesman said they fix them after you buy them.

I bought used.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 04:45 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker View Post
With a typical 1 year warranty, the manufacturers gamble that the new buyer will not use it much and they will escape warranty claims because the warranties are now expired.
Exactly.....
As a vendor to the RV industry, the most asked question was "how much lower can you reduce the price". Buyers told me many times the items we sold only needed to last through the warranty period. After that, they didn't care.
Old 02-26-2021, 07:19 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Right now they know they can sell anything coming off the line so quality is not a big concern!
I have to agree with this as well as what most other have said. Quality is not number one for many companies. :(
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 07:41 PM   #11
NXR

Interestingly, in the last Thor Industries Annual Report their trailer section reported lower warranty claims due to quality improvement processes and controls. But not the motorhome section.

Ray
Old 02-27-2021, 02:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Interestingly, in the last Thor Industries Annual Report their trailer section reported lower warranty claims due to quality improvement processes and controls. But not the motorhome section.

Ray
I read that the QA manager at Airstream was promoted to oversee QA for all divisions. Supposidly they instituted changes to improve processes and quality across all of their companies.
It is not likely that trailers are built in the same factory as motorhomes in any corporation. I think WBO makes trailers in Indiana and most motorhomes in Iowa. For a time, some of the upper end diesels were built in Oregon, but that was phased out before they bought Newmar.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 09:41 PM   #13

I have a friend with a brand new Class C Ford F450 4x4 and Thor body. Literally brand new and his slides are jammed.
Old 02-28-2021, 05:45 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
I bought a new 2019 Silverado pickup and the back window leaked after going through the car wash - does that count! Oh yes, three recalls in the first 6 months! It's not just the RV industry, think about it!
98FPA is offline   Reply With Quote