Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2019, 06:22 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmsfx View Post
You program in the RV height/weight/length and it routes your away from low clearances, etc.
One example is planning a route with the RV size/weight you put in. Returning from the west recently I wanted to take a specific route on state routes in south AL. Regardless how I did it the route wouldn't take. So I put my destination in and headed home and figured as we traveled the GPS would eventually "get with the program" and recognize what was obviously the shortest route. Well as I was in Greenville AL on SR 10 I encounter a low underpass, 10 feet. I saw the GPS flashing and the underpass signs before I hit it and had to do that U-turn the Garmin 670 had been telling me all morning. I had the volume turned down but will turn it back on nice and loud.

When you put in your RV parameters, height, weight, etc. the GPS will plan routes using KNOWN road conditions. It's still up to the operator/driver to look outside and actually pay attentions to actual conditions. When I was trying to plan the route and the Garmin wouldn't accept my route I didn't notice if it was telling me WHY. Being stubborn I did it "MY WAY' and as a result got an unplanned U-tun and extra mileage that day.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2019, 07:27 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmandoug1 View Post
Soooooo 770 or go for the 780 is my question?
My question, exactly. I'd like to hear from someone who's used both.
Old 06-04-2019, 07:38 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCam View Post
My question, exactly. I'd like to hear from someone who's used both.
I just looked at the Garmin website. 760RV and 770RV are no longer listed as for sale. 780RV is the only one for sale.

The difference maybe the 780 costs less to build.

The lower price on the 770 may be because it is now a discontinued product.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 08:02 AM   #32

Anyone know if the reverse camera functionality in the 780 is backwards compatible? We have a camera which connects to the 760 we use now. I'm considering an upgrade, but not if I have to install a new camera.

Since our bus has a metal skin, we ran an extension from the camera forward inside the coach and placed the wireless transceiver a few feet from the Garmin. Wouldn't care to do all that again.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 07:59 AM   #33

Has anyone figured out the difference between the 770 and the 780? About to buy one. $100 more for the 780. And... you guys are importing .gox files from BaseCamp? Wasnít sure if that would work.
jonmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 05:10 PM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmarks View Post
Has anyone figured out the difference between the 770 and the 780? About to buy one. $100 more for the 780. And... you guys are importing .gox files from BaseCamp? Wasnít sure if that would work.
I used Basecamp extensively to plan a route, but I only import destinations, not routes, into my 760RV. I let the Garmin decide that on the day of travel since it will take traffic into consideration. I also use Google maps to alert me to road construction, as well as view fueling stops in advance so I don't get into a situation where I have to back up, since I can't back up when I am towing 4 down.
mtmsfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 05:06 AM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We bought the 660 a few years ago after several other Garmin GPS’s. We have given up figuring the thing out and have gone back to the truckers atlas and our phones. To us, they have just gotten too difficult to easily use and we have given up on them.
Old 06-06-2019, 06:30 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo19Irv View Post
QUESTION: Google maps shows the roads but not the GPS coordinates, Google Earth shows the Coordinates but not the roads. Can either one show both the roads and the coordinates ?
You have to turn on the roads option in the bottom left panel - there is a ton of things to configure there.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 08:49 AM   #37

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmsfx View Post
I used Basecamp extensively to plan a route, but I only import destinations, not routes, into my 760RV. I let the Garmin decide that on the day of travel since it will take traffic into consideration. I also use Google maps to alert me to road construction, as well as view fueling stops in advance so I don't get into a situation where I have to back up, since I can't back up when I am towing 4 down.
My 770RV will alert me to construction and traffic. It gets its information from my iPhone through Bluetooth.

I use Garmin BaseCamp with both a NUVI and a 770 RV. I can't claim to be an expert, but over time I have discovered ways to use them all together.

I have found three different ways to plan "routes" in BaseCamp. They are Tracks, Routes, and Trips. Routes and Trips can be transferred to Garmin GPS devices. I don't know much about Tracks. It appears Tracks are intended to plan off road hiking, biking, etc.

I have used Routes in all three systems. Routes appear to be the default and traditional method of planning road trips. They are flexible and intended to work well for one day trips. I have used them for multiple day trips, but some statistics are less useful and the NUVI especially slows down route planning the longer the route gets. BaseCamp allows you to use a tree type file system to organize and save many routes. For instance, it can keep waypoints and routes to Nova Scotia separated from routes to Texas.

I have used Trips to plan three week vacations. Trips attempts to divide the trip into one day Routes. For example,
Madison Wisconsin to a St Louis, MO hotel would be one day leg of the Trip.
St Louis hotel to Ark Hot Springs St Park, would be second day leg of the Trip.
Hot Springs to an Ok State Park would be third day leg of the trip.
BaseCamp will plot a separate route for each leg. When I wish to get turn by turn instructions, I chose the leg I want to execute.
Trip planning will also try to provide automatic round trip planning. I have not mastered this tool yet.
BaseCamp does not currently plan based on vehicle dimensions, weights, or vehicle speed limits. Time between legs can be planned or time at a waypoint can be planned, or is flexible. I might want to stay 4 days at Ark Hot Springs, or two hours at a Civil War memorial.

Loading a Trip to my 770RV transfers the way points and routes as collections of way points. The planned roads themselves do not transfer. The 770RV re-plans the turn by turn road instructions. The 770 will use the vehicle dimensions, weights, and vehicle speed limits if you choose.

When I am ready to take the next leg of my trip, I select the one day leg of the trip. The waypoints for that leg load, and the roads are re-planed for that day only.

The best parts of BaseCamp:
BaseCamp displays large regions in great detail, or less detail as desired. RV770 is much nor difficult to control.
BaseCamp provides organizing tools and allows copying and modifying previous plans.
BaseCamp makes determining alternate routes and revising previous plans much easier. I had three Wisconsin to Texas Trips planned last January. I chose one the day we departed based on the winter weather. One was eliminated due to flooding, one was choosen because of forecasted warm weather in north Texas.

Things BaseCamp can do better when Garmin decides to make changes:
BaseCamp does not show detailed maps unless the GPS is plugged into the computer running BaseCamp. Maps for BaseCamp can be downloaded but cannot be unlocked for use. I plug the NUVI into my computer when planning route modifications while underway. A very clumsy arrangement. The 770RV continues to provide turn by turn instructions.
BaseCamp does not show current location, and the NUVI doesn't either when plugged into your computer.
BaseCamp provides powerful tools, but makes it complicated to learn useful strategies.
Old 06-07-2019, 10:29 AM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post
My 770RV will alert me to construction and traffic. It gets its information from my iPhone through Bluetooth.

I use Garmin BaseCamp with both a NUVI and a 770 RV. I can't claim to be an expert, but over time I have discovered ways to use them all together.

I have found three different ways to plan "routes" in BaseCamp. They are Tracks, Routes, and Trips. Routes and Trips can be transferred to Garmin GPS devices. I don't know much about Tracks. It appears Tracks are intended to plan off road hiking, biking, etc.

I have used Routes in all three systems. Routes appear to be the default and traditional method of planning road trips. They are flexible and intended to work well for one day trips. I have used them for multiple day trips, but some statistics are less useful and the NUVI especially slows down route planning the longer the route gets. BaseCamp allows you to use a tree type file system to organize and save many routes. For instance, it can keep waypoints and routes to Nova Scotia separated from routes to Texas.

I have used Trips to plan three week vacations. Trips attempts to divide the trip into one day Routes. For example,
Madison Wisconsin to a St Louis, MO hotel would be one day leg of the Trip.
St Louis hotel to Ark Hot Springs St Park, would be second day leg of the Trip.
Hot Springs to an Ok State Park would be third day leg of the trip.
BaseCamp will plot a separate route for each leg. When I wish to get turn by turn instructions, I chose the leg I want to execute.
Trip planning will also try to provide automatic round trip planning. I have not mastered this tool yet.
BaseCamp does not currently plan based on vehicle dimensions, weights, or vehicle speed limits. Time between legs can be planned or time at a waypoint can be planned, or is flexible. I might want to stay 4 days at Ark Hot Springs, or two hours at a Civil War memorial.

Loading a Trip to my 770RV transfers the way points and routes as collections of way points. The planned roads themselves do not transfer. The 770RV re-plans the turn by turn road instructions. The 770 will use the vehicle dimensions, weights, and vehicle speed limits if you choose.

When I am ready to take the next leg of my trip, I select the one day leg of the trip. The waypoints for that leg load, and the roads are re-planed for that day only.

The best parts of BaseCamp:
BaseCamp displays large regions in great detail, or less detail as desired. RV770 is much nor difficult to control.
BaseCamp provides organizing tools and allows copying and modifying previous plans.
BaseCamp makes determining alternate routes and revising previous plans much easier. I had three Wisconsin to Texas Trips planned last January. I chose one the day we departed based on the winter weather. One was eliminated due to flooding, one was choosen because of forecasted warm weather in north Texas.

Things BaseCamp can do better when Garmin decides to make changes:
BaseCamp does not show detailed maps unless the GPS is plugged into the computer running BaseCamp. Maps for BaseCamp can be downloaded but cannot be unlocked for use. I plug the NUVI into my computer when planning route modifications while underway. A very clumsy arrangement. The 770RV continues to provide turn by turn instructions.
BaseCamp does not show current location, and the NUVI doesn't either when plugged into your computer.
BaseCamp provides powerful tools, but makes it complicated to learn useful strategies.

Hmmm. There are a few things here that Iím not sure about. First, Basecamp definitely does take into account your RV dimensions if you enter them. Basecamp can plan a route for a car, RV, motorcycle, etc. Each route may be different.
Second, when I update the map on my 760rv, I download the same map on my computer. I donít need to have the 760rv plugged into the computer. And itís already unlocked.
mtmsfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 12:34 PM   #39

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I just received a new Garmin RV 780 GPS took it out of the box, downloaded the user manual, and I can not figure out how to operate the darn thing. Trying to set a route but it keeps giving me a round trip !!!!!!!!
Goes anyone have instructions other than Garmin's ???? Are there you-tube vids that show how to set up a customized route, point to point ?
I guess I will figure this thing out but Garmin is not making it easy.
We've had our 770 for some 4,000 miles. DW found out a new thing yesterday. So, don't fret. Just be patient with yourself (and the 780).
DurangoNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 01:30 PM   #40

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
On the map lock issue, I vaguely remember...

There's a trick to unlocking an installed map in BaseCamp on a Windows computer. It has to do with the lock file being installed on a different user's account, usually one with administrator privileges. Look for the "UnlockCodes.ucx" file and copy it to the same location for the user's account. Then restart BaseCamp.

I tried to find a link to the Web page where I discovered this trick, but failed. So, I could be way off. I do remember it was something simple, and I had to do it each time I downloaded a new map to the computer.

Having the map on the computer makes it easy and fast to plan trips. I don't download them to the GPSes until I've adjusted them to their final form.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 10:36 AM   #41

Quote:
I just received a new Garmin RV 780 GPS took it out of the box, downloaded the user manual, and I can not figure out how to operate the darn thing. Trying to set a route but it keeps giving me a round trip !!!!!!!!
Goes anyone have instructions other than Garmin's ???? Are there you-tube vids that show how to set up a customized route, point to point ?
I guess I will figure this thing out but Garmin is not making it easy.
My Garmin 770RV does not do that. But, it just clicked in my slow mind. The "Trip" function in BaseCamp always tries to make a round trip plan. I have not tried to create a trip in my 770RV, but I guess it would also try to make a "Trip" into a round trip.
The default in my 770RV is to make a route, but it also has "Trip" listed under the "App" menu. To make a normal route using the 770 I just select "Where To".

Try to make a "Route" instead.
Old 06-09-2019, 12:51 PM   #42

Differences?

From the Garmin website using the compare screen for RV 770 and RV780 I found these differences. I don't or wouldn't use either one and so cannot comment if they are actually there on one or the other or both.
RV770 has LiveTrack via app
RV780 3D building and terrain

Tags
gps