Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2019, 04:29 PM   #1

Garmin RV 780 GPS

I just received a new Garmin RV 780 GPS took it out of the box, downloaded the user manual, and I can not figure out how to operate the darn thing. Trying to set a route but it keeps giving me a round trip !!!!!!!!
Goes anyone have instructions other than Garmin's ???? Are there you-tube vids that show how to set up a customized route, point to point ?
I guess I will figure this thing out but Garmin is not making it easy.
Geo19Irv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2019, 04:52 PM   #2

Jayco Owners Club
Not sure what the problem is. Go to settings and look around. Playing with for a while will fix everything. Harmon is the best. Give it time.
RWeigant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 04:54 PM   #3

Geo19Irv-

Are you trying to program the route on the GPS directly, or are you trying to use BaseCamp?
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 06:06 PM   #4

Mark. I read you posts on the Basecamp and while they were helpful, I still gave up on it. For me, using the units Apps, Trip Plannner is much easier for planning a single leg of the trip. You need to have a destination in the saved places but again, for me it’s just easier.
Old 04-23-2019, 06:18 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I have the RV 760LM and love it. Just click on Where To screen, find your destination, and hit Go. It will give you a one-way route.
Regarding BaseCamp, I use it extensively and love it. Much easier to plan a trip that way. Takes a bit of effort to learn it, but I think it's worth it.
mtmsfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 07:32 PM   #6

What does an RV Garmin do that a regular one does not do?
tammy s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 08:26 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tammy s View Post
The RV model takes into consideration your coaches length with height weight whether or not you’re carrying things like propane etc. it will then guide you based on roads that are appropriate for your RV. It prevents you from going down the road with the bridge that might not support your weight or a tunnel that’s too low. Some of the RV GPS units will also have RV specific things such as KOA points of interest and campground locators.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 08:26 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tammy s View Post

You program in the RV height/weight/length and it routes your away from low clearances, etc.
mtmsfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 08:44 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
I don't have an American Express but I do have a RV 760LM and won't leave home without it. I have had Garmin products for a long time. I still have my Garmin V.

Don't try to figure it out in one day. I use the routing capabilities of the unit as well as Basecamp. After all this time, I am finding things I was unaware of. Don't get frustrated, just experiment, give yourself some time and you will eventually figure it out.
CARLnJANIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 08:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmsfx View Post
Regarding BaseCamp, I use it extensively and love it. Much easier to plan a trip that way. Takes a bit of effort to learn it, but I think it's worth it.

X2

BaseCamp is a superior product. No pain, No Gain. For step x step help:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f287/crea...mp-440290.html
Old 04-24-2019, 09:54 AM   #11

Smile Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeTheWay View Post
X2

BaseCamp is a superior product. No pain, No Gain. For step x step help:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f287/crea...mp-440290.html

Now those are instructions I can follow, and after I try to get it down I will update.
Geo19Irv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 01:27 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Are you using the Trip Planner App built into the 780. I've had my 780 about a week or so and find it to program much easier than the 760 that it's replacing.

Trip Planner info starts on pages 16 and 17 in the manual. From the main screen of the 780 select Apps then look for Trip Planner App. Just start at the top of the screen and fill in each applicable area in the menus. You can create as many Vias as you want such as planned fuel stops etc. by entering into into the Add Location Fields. After you create a Trip (Route) and save it, it allows you to open the saved Trip Map View and using the Route Shaping Tool on the screen you can change to custom road selections by just pointing to a road change and the unit will quickly recalculate the change and ask if you want to save it. If not just touch the trash can icon and it reverts back to the original trip.

There are route shaping videos on YouTube using the Garmin 770 diesel. The route shaping process is very similar to the 780.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8079.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	280.9 KB
ID:	243506  
TriGlider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 05:39 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Just downloaded new firmware for my 780. They are now on 6.0. That's two firmware updates in the first week of ownership. With a GPS or most electronics you have "State of the Art" for about 15 minutes.
TriGlider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 07:27 AM   #14

I let the GPS do the plotting using Waypoints I create. Several places and ways to get coordinates:

1. addresses
2. coordinates from Google Earth, Windows Maps. Make these up for key points on the basic route I want to take so it guides me through there. i.e. I have an intersection on I-74 in IL which takes me on the southern route through Ohio, IN IL avoiding Chicago and all the tolls.
3. coordinates from RVParky (at the bottom of every camping site)
4. coordinates from Campedium
5. coordinates others give me and all the others I have saved on previous Garmins since I started using one in 2000.

Funny story about how I got my first one. In 2000, there were 4 of us on a duck hunting trip in MD in 2 boats. We had to wind way up a salt water creek which had numerous little branches off it. We took one of the branches off the main creek. At the end of the day, we were packing up and the 2 guys in the other boat decided to leave before us. Fortunately I gave him a FRS radio. When we got to the boat ramp in the dark, of course, the other boat wasn't there. Finally reached them on the radio. Turns out they got lost, turned the wrong way on the main creek and ended up shearing their prop pin way up the creek. We had to go all the way up to tow them back. I think we got over the river about midnight. Scared me. Had hear about these new things called GPSs and decided it could have been me getting lost and bought one. Best thing I ever did.

I use 2 in the RV - a 770 and a 478. Each does some things better than the other and it's nice to have one to test routes on. Like maybe a side trip to see something. How much time and miles does it add?

Tags
gps