Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2021, 04:36 PM   #1

Gas and winter storage

OK, so here’s a 2+2 that’s I haven’t seen put together yet.

To store the MH over the winter, I’ll fill up the gas tank to avoid condensation in the tank. Makes sense. Also supposed to run the generator about 30 minutes every month.

So, do I try to top off the tank from a gas can after each generator run, guessing how much fuel to add? Am I overthinking it? I figure 4 or 5 months after winterization before I pull her out on the road again.

Out of curiosity, does anyone have a favorite gas extender to use? I use Startron for my small engine tanks, not sure if that’s adequate for the MH?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2021, 05:25 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Jim --

Like you I fill my fuel tank (diesel for me) prior to putting my coach into storage for the December - February period and run the generator for 30 minutes every 3-4 weeks. Running the generator for those short periods of time literally "does not move the needle" on the fuel tank gauge. I don't "top off" my diesel tank after running the generator.

Regarding a gasoline "extender" (stabilizer) I'm a fan of the Stabil brand gasoline stabilizer additive for lawn mowers and vehicles --> https://www.goldeagle.com/product/st...el-stabilizer/ (I use the diesel version of Stabil stabilizer additive for my fuel tank).

The Stabil brand gasoline stabilizer is readily available at your favorite Walmart or automotive parts business.
fagnaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 05:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by maji View Post
OK, so here’s a 2+2 that’s I haven’t seen put together yet.

To store the MH over the winter, I’ll fill up the gas tank to avoid condensation in the tank. Makes sense. Also supposed to run the generator about 30 minutes every month.

So, do I try to top off the tank from a gas can after each generator run, guessing how much fuel to add? Am I overthinking it? I figure 4 or 5 months after winterization before I pull her out on the road again.

Out of curiosity, does anyone have a favorite gas extender to use? I use Startron for my small engine tanks, not sure if that’s adequate for the MH?
I just use Stabil in mine each winter. Of course, I don't let mine sit that long. I use it in the winter too. Winterize several times. As far as your 2+2 problem, I don't worry about that much anymore. Happy camping.
OkieSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 07:48 PM   #4

Stabil in mine.. I also install fuel line cut off to gen.. but mine is old girl.. carb on gen.. I don't top off.. just get her going in spring and fill up.. good luck and let us know what you did and maybe better members then me will help you
Old 10-22-2021, 05:58 AM   #5

FWIW, my 8000 watt home generator will go through 5 gallons of gas in about 9 hours. If yours is comparable, running it 30 minutes a month, like said above, won't move the needle.

I've used Stabil for years in stored gas and never had a problem. How big's the tank? Would it be feasible to use non-ethanol?

But truthfully, for 4 or 5 months, I'm betting you'll be fine. I know my motorcycles don't mind
Old 10-22-2021, 06:08 AM   #6

Jim-

My experience says add Sta-Bil, fill the tank, run the generator for an hour (per recommendations), unhook the house and chassis battery negative leads, then let the coach sleep until Spring.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 06:08 AM   #7

Startron is great for anything gas!
Put it in the gas can you fill the generator with.
I put it in all my gas cans and any vehicle that sits.
So whenever I need to fill up my small engines, they already have the additives I add instead of trying to figure this or that out.
I think it's better than stabil from my research FWIW. But stabil is fine, I used it for years with no issues.
inthepines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 06:22 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fagnaml View Post
Jim --

Like you I fill my fuel tank (diesel for me) prior to putting my coach into storage for the December - February period and run the generator for 30 minutes every 3-4 weeks. Running the generator for those short periods of time literally "does not move the needle" on the fuel tank gauge. I don't "top off" my diesel tank after running the generator.

Regarding a gasoline "extender" (stabilizer) I'm a fan of the Stabil brand gasoline stabilizer additive for lawn mowers and vehicles --> https://www.goldeagle.com/product/st...el-stabilizer/ (I use the diesel version of Stabil stabilizer additive for my fuel tank).

The Stabil brand gasoline stabilizer is readily available at your favorite Walmart or automotive parts business.

They have the answer. You do not need to add fuel after generator usage if this is all your doing. Just add Stabil to your normal octane fuel you use and it will be fine. I just winterized my motorhome last weekend, and will not pull it out until late April. Start the generator once a month a put a small load on it.
Duster73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 07:16 AM   #9

The marine stabile is rated to keep fuel good for a longer time. We leave vehicles in Yuma over the summer and leave the tanks close to empty and fill with fresh premium when we get them out in the fall. No humidity to speak of. For our Montana rigs, I use marine stabile and no ethanol premium to fill the last tank. If I was storing a diesel rig where its hot, I'd add a fungicide to the tank. For my small gas engines-chain saws and the like-I go the local general aviation airport and buy a couple gallons of avgas every year. Stuff lasts forever.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 07:22 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Everybody is giving you anecdotal information so I will add my own! I have several special interest vehicles that sometimes sit for a year or more between gas fill ups and then there is the motorhome that I store from Oct to May without a fill up.

I don't add any fuel stabilizers and in 50 years have never had a problem on either a carburetor vehicle or a EFI vehicle.

Modern vehicles have sealed fuel systems that minimize evaporation thereby maintaining to some degree the fuel integrity.

Of course fuel stabilizers don't hurt anything either!

I don't add fuel over the winter in my motorhome after funning the generator.
Old 10-22-2021, 07:34 AM   #11

I fill my tank and don't run the generator during storage. I don't bother with adding any fuel additives to the fuel tank. Starting and running the generator in -20 temps probably does more harm than good.
Old 10-22-2021, 07:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloduster View Post
Everybody is giving you anecdotal information so I will add my own! I have several special interest vehicles that sometimes sit for a year or more between gas fill ups and then there is the motorhome that I store from Oct to May without a fill up.

I don't add any fuel stabilizers and in 50 years have never had a problem on either a carburetor vehicle or a EFI vehicle.

Modern vehicles have sealed fuel systems that minimize evaporation thereby maintaining to some degree the fuel integrity.

Of course fuel stabilizers don't hurt anything either!

I don't add fuel over the winter in my motorhome after funning the generator.

None of your fuel systems are sealed. There must be a source of outside air to enter or the tank would soon be under negative pressure, then the engine will stop running from lack of fuel.
It is that outside moisture-laden air that adds water to your partially empty tank.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 05:34 AM   #13

Only caution I'll add is to not get too carried away when filling. I have seen boats filled for storage and the fuel vent is leaking fuel due to expansion with temp rise.
80-90 % full close enough.
Use of non- ethanol for fill prior to storage is a best practice IMO
All of the above said I am not a believer that storage creates any significant quantity of moisture condensation. Agree it depends a lot on the environment where you store. If coastal and moist maybe but drier cold climates not so much.
I store a diesel boat and motorhome in the NE and have never seen water in the separating filter after spring start up. If there was any it should be visible.

Sent from my SM-T387V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 07:28 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
None of your fuel systems are sealed. There must be a source of outside air to enter or the tank would soon be under negative pressure, then the engine will stop running from lack of fuel.
It is that outside moisture-laden air that adds water to your partially empty tank.

I work in a fuel lab, and this is true. If the vehicle vents get plugged, it can suck the tank inward on itself. It's surprising how much that hard plastic collapses in with the fuel module.
Duster73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, storage, winter