Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2020, 09:21 AM   #1

Gas BBQ - what are you using for your Class A DP?

I'm talking with the wife about what to use for a BBQ once we buy in the coming couple of weeks. We're not BBQ enthusiasts or hobbyists, we just want to be able to grill a few steaks or burgers, etc. Just general use. I don't want to mess with charcoal, I want to use gas.

Do most class A DP's have a way to hook up a gas line to the main propane tank for a BBQ, or does it have to be a separate dedicated source of gas for the BBQ? If so what tank are you carrying, and are the any special provisions for securing it and carrying it? If you carry a tank is it a special tank, or a standard back yard 20lb, or a very small one? What do you use?

What grill are you guys using? I don't want one so tiny it only fits three burgers, yet at the same time we obviously can't carry a full size yard grill either.

Thanks, guys.
Doug427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2020, 09:24 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Weber Q is what we carry. Cooks great and we just keep a couple of the small disposable tanks.
Old 01-01-2020, 09:37 AM   #3

We use a Coleman Roadtrip with a 20# bottle because our coach is all electric. The little 1# bottles seem to lose their pressure when they are less than half full resulting in a puny flame.

It has two separately controlled burners which makes it more versatile than a Q. And it is collapsible so does not need a table to sit on.
RonLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 09:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spk64 View Post
Weber Q is what we carry. Cooks great and we just keep a couple of the small disposable tanks.
Does your Mountain Aire have a provision to hook up the grill (or anything else for that matter) to the propane tank in the coach so you don't have to carry a separate bottle? Do any coaches have that?
Old 01-01-2020, 09:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonLC View Post
We use a Coleman Roadtrip with a 20# bottle because our coach is all electric. The little 1# bottles seem to lose their pressure when they are less than half full resulting in a puny flame.

It has two separately controlled burners which makes it more versatile than a Q. And it is collapsible so does not need a table to sit on.
I like the idea of the bigger grill with collapsible legs - no table needed. I do have concerns about carrying the larger 20lb. bottle. Is that regulated in any way on how and where you can carry it? How do you secure it when you're on the move?
Old 01-01-2020, 10:01 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Yes, I have a connection but to connect the Weber I would need to remove the regulator. 5 years with the 1 lb tanks and never had an issue. They last a few trips.
We do use the connection for a propane fire pit.
Old 01-01-2020, 10:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Yes, I have a connection but to connect the Weber I would need to remove the regulator. 5 years with the 1 lb tanks and never had an issue. They last a few trips.
We do use the connection for a propane fire pit.
OK thanks. Don't know what you mean by remove the regulator. On the coach connection or on the grill? Why? I'll have to research that.
Old 01-01-2020, 10:16 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
The regulator on the grill is what would need removed. The remote connection on our coach is already regulated.
Old 01-01-2020, 10:19 AM   #9

I carry the 22" Blackstone Griddle.
Old 01-01-2020, 10:20 AM   #10

Quote:
The regulator on the grill is what would need removed. The remote connection on our coach is already regulated.
Thank you Steve - I think I see now. You need to remove the regulator to use the tank on the coach because the coach line is already regulated. Then if you want to use a small tank on the BBQ and use it elsewhere, you'd have to put the regulator back on. You don't want the hassle of taking it off and reinstalling it, over and over. Do I have that right?
Old 01-01-2020, 10:20 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
That is correct.
Old 01-01-2020, 10:22 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldkarphart View Post
I carry the 22" Blackstone Griddle.
Looks nice. You fuel it with the small tank? I guess you need to have as table of some sort to place it on?
Old 01-01-2020, 10:23 AM   #13

Quote:
That is correct.
Thanks so much! Happy New Year!
Old 01-01-2020, 10:31 AM   #14

We went from a Coleman Roadtrip to a 3 burner Campchef stove with Barbecue box. Yes it takes up some space but we like the ability to use it as a grill and three burner stove to cook outside. We also have the pizza oven attachment which does an excellent job making pizza. My next purchase will likely be the griddle attachment.

For propane we carry an 11 lb. bottle. I built storage shelves in our storage bays and have one with a slide out shelf specifically for the Campchef.
Renegade RV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, gas