Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2013, 05:50 PM   #15

I have the Pilot/Flying J RV Plus card. I almost ALWAYS get fuel at a Flying J or Pilot truck stop. No pump limits, I can dump the tanks and the card stays with me at all times. The 6 cent per gallon discount off the CASH price is icing on the cake. What's not to like about that?

On those rare occasions when I had to use a pump with a limit, I just swiped the card again and never left the pump.
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2013, 06:08 PM   #16

I always swipe aleast 2 times sometimes 3 not a big deal.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:50 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
Several folks have commented about multiple swipes. In my experience much of the time only one swipe is allowed before having to involve the attendant. I usually just use a differing card...

However I now have a PEN FED card with 5% discount at the pump, so am trying to figure our how to maximize the (at the pump) use of the card.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:06 PM   #18
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I have the station attendant run the card to a pre-authorized amount that I know will be more than I need to fill the tank. When the pump shuts off, I go back in & get a receipt for what I actually pumped. So far, all that's ever shown up on my card is the pumped price, the pre-auth was dropped off.

Granted, it's 2 trips to the attendant, but then I usually need the excercise anyway after sitting in the co-pilot seat for several hours drive-time.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:09 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
I have the station attendant run the card to a pre-authorized amount that I know will be more than I need to fill the tank. When the pump shuts off, I go back in & get a receipt for what I actually pumped. So far, all that's ever shown up on my card is the pumped price, the pre-auth was dropped off.

Granted, it's 2 trips to the attendant, but then I usually need the excercise anyway after sitting in the co-pilot seat for several hours drive-time.

Lori-
That's what we do also, except we hand them a wad of cash, and usually get some change back. Never use credit cards for fuel, and never had a problem with our cash not being accepted anywhere...
Old 05-01-2013, 09:50 PM   #20
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I use the Flying J/Pilot "Pump Start" card. Pull into the pump (Diesel - truck side for me) run the PFJ card and it authorizes the pump to start. When finished pumping any amount I go in and pay the attendant with my CC. The discount is nice also.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:50 PM   #21

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
That's what we do also, except we hand them a wad of cash, and usually get some change back. Never use credit cards for fuel, and never had a problem with our cash not being accepted anywhere...
I did that coming back from Phoenix last year. I opened my wallet and was kind of surprised to find I had $500 left so I counted it out and left it with the clerk. Pumped $400 in and the pump stopped. Went in and told her to set the last $100 up. She said all I had given her was $400. No one else saw me count the money out. I had no proof of how much I gave her! I turned around and walked out $500 lighter and ripped off for $100.
Now I'll ask for a receipt before I leave the counter, even if just handwritten and signed by the cashier!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:38 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
If they insist you leave a card, leave one of the cancelled ones, then pay with a good one when you are done.

DICK
Acker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:20 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I use my Pilot/Flying J card that auto pump start. It allows me to pump until full on a single swipe.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:00 AM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Dateline: To Catch an ID Thief
'To Catch an ID Thief'- msnbc.com

A real eye opener. They even interview one guy who was the go-between for his "grilfriend" (he's never seen or talked to her), reshipping to her in Africa like the method mentioned earlier in this thread. It was very easy to tell that this guy was a couple pads short of a full campground. In the TV episode, they also purposely "released" the numbers on a couple credit cards obtained for the show, and showed how the $10,000 was gone in less than three minutes via underground internet bulletin boards.

You also have to be on the lookout for "skimmers", the phony devices placed over card slots to get your number (Credit Card Fraud, Consumer Reports). Some of these devices are extremely hard to detect. There are also portable ones that a waiter/waitress can carry in their pocket and can skim your card in front of you without your even knowing it. As a retired police officer who did computer crimes and financial crimes (which tend to go hand in hand), believe me, there's always a way, so be EXTREMELY careful when dealing with your cards in person AND at machines!
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:40 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acker1 View Post
If they insist you leave a card, leave one of the cancelled ones, then pay with a good one when you are done.

DICK
I like that idea!
Old 05-02-2013, 09:05 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
Often it takes 3 swipes to fill my tank. (especially if/when the pump stops at $75).
Many times the pumps will only allow 2 swipes.
My wife goes to the register and stays with the card if the pump reader is not cooperating.

Will swiping a completely different CC at the pump work?
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:19 AM   #27
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I worked in IT Security at NASA/JSC doing computer forensics. Quite interesting as I/we worked with many of the LEO agencies at the Federal, State, and local level when their resources were low or we had equipment or knowledge (at the time) that they did not have.

Identity theft is one of the worse things to recover from. It blemishes your name and could cost you thousands of dollars to recover your identity. It is really something to be aware of, and it has been going on for a long, long time.

Back in the early 2000's time frame I was asked to give a briefing on ID Theft to my organization. It went over so well I was then asked to schedule it for other organization and eventually the briefing moved into the big auditorium.

That is just some background. At the time the number one method of obtaining credit card numbers was to pay a clerk at a store, restaurant or any other establishment to collect the numbers throughout their shift and then provide a paper copy of those numbers to the ID Thief. In those days, expiration dates and security numbers were not used, and came into play in the later part of the 2000's. Although today they are not much paid attention to because of complacency.

How were the numbers used? ID thieves would have card writers. They would check into a hotel room, and only use those hotels that have the electronic card reader keys, and then they would use those hotel cards to re-write the CC number on it. They go shopping using the hotel card. Remember, those were the days when you just swiped you card and not other information was needed. When the returned to the hotel with the stash of goods they just told the hotel clerk that their key was not working and the hotel clerk would reprogram the card or give them a new one. Simple way of stealing.

Now, and I hope you are reading down to here. I'm going to break up this next link so you will have to string it all together to make it work. I think you will be shocked at what you are about to see regarding credit card numbers.

http://www. elfqrin. com/hacklab/pages/discard.php

Remember to string it all together.

The web site I posted will allow anyone to study the algorithm (yeah, right!) of credit cards, or so it states on their web page. When I was working with a federal agency (letters starts with F) a CC number was generated from the site. One of the attendees had a computer with access and after the number was generated it was checked against a National database. The number belonged to a person living in Ohio. (We were in Texas)

So remember, all is not as it seems in the world of crime, but it is crime.

Why do I post the link? Because it is common knowledge among thieves. You are not a thief (I hope not) and never had an interest in how to generate CC numbers, just a curiosity of how yours could be stolen. So besides the sniffers, the paper trail, the bogus card readers, the stolen card, and many more, there are web sites that may just generate YOUR number. This is just information, so protect yours as you can.

Happy trails.

Edited: Today when you swipe your cc they are supposed to take the card, check the last four numbers and see if there is a signature. What now happens is you swipe your card, and they ask for the last four, or if they ask for the card you can just speak the last four. Seldom to they check signatures. Complacency. Some places will ask for an ID to verify that the name on the card is you. Personally I really like those places and never admonish a clerk for asking. Matter of fact all of my CC signature lines have "See ID" instead of my signature. (Not really legal, so I have been told, and the establishment can refuse the card.)
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:08 AM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
"See ID" instead of my signature. (Not really legal, so I have been told, and the establishment can refuse the card.)
Likewise, and the only place I have a problem is the Post Office. They have a rule where if it's not signed, you sign it in front of them or find another way to pay. Concerning the stores, if I go to 100 stores in one day, 1 or maybe 2 of the cashiers will actually ask to see me ID .
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas