Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2011, 08:24 PM   #1
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Gas / Diesel prices?

My gosh, those fuel prices don't come down........

The world oil price dropped like hell, but the price at the pump just does not follow as fast. But when the price goes up, those pumps get changed within an hour
We just can't stop driving and the oil bosses know that of course.
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2011, 09:41 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by TW View Post
My gosh, those fuel prices don't come down........

The world oil price dropped like hell, but the price at the pump just does not follow as fast. But when the price goes up, those pumps get changed within an hour
We just can't stop driving and the oil bosses know that of course.
Can you spell G-R-E-E-D!!!!
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:42 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
We are currently in Louisiana and I have seen gasoline prices drop at least 10 cents in the last week. While planning the next leg of our journey I saw diesel prices at my next fuel stop drop 4 cents in one day. It always takes a few days for the pump price to adjust to the current market price for oil.

Nick
traveler of california is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:57 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ours went up 2 cents last week. We are at 3.77 for gas.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:58 AM   #5

I read one of the politicians today explain that fuel prices had dropped 30-40 cents per gallon in the last 3 weeks. I'm out on an extended boat trip, so I haven't been able to really see that at the pump since I carry more fuel in the boat than I can burn in a summer. You're saying only 10 cents? Politicians wouldn't lie to me, would they? It was one of his proofs that the economy was getting better.

Ken
bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:01 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'll have to watch where this thread goes. I posted a thread on another rv forum about the same topic and just was brushed over the coals. I guess I should have known better as to post there. One question I was asked, is whether I expected the fuel to be free??? I never even remember mentioning anything about free gas. One thing I don't really understand though is why the diesel prices have not come down at all. At least in the area of upper MI that we're in now. I don't have a diesel but these travelers are all in the same community and should get a reflection on what they have to pay to travel as well. Just don't understand this oil market as all and yes G R E E D is the biggest culprit as far as I can tell.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:05 AM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
The problem is not with the oil companies, it is with a govt controlled by the green lobby that refuses to allow drilling, exploration, etc. Couple that with increase fuel taxes in most states and you have the problem we all face. It may be greed, but it is govt greed.

Nick
traveler of california is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:10 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Up like a rock, down like a feather. Our elected reps don't have a clue as to the real impact of continued high gas prices on the economy and jobs. They keep to that old tired saw about the stock market (legalized gambling) and European markets.
If gas dropped back to 1.90 gal you would see everything turn around...housing, jobs and the market....just my .02.
mccsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:41 AM   #9

The biggest problem with the oil market is that it is traded on Wall St. Blame the speculators.
randco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:34 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
One of the major reasons fuel prices rise easily but drop kicking and screaming is that the U.S. dollar is not worth two sou. Can you spell D-E-B-T... We owe, we owe, it's off to the poor house we go...........ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:57 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccsix View Post
Up like a rock, down like a feather. Our elected reps don't have a clue as to the real impact of continued high gas prices on the economy and jobs. They keep to that old tired saw about the stock market (legalized gambling) and European markets.
If gas dropped back to 1.90 gal you would see everything turn around...housing, jobs and the market....just my .02.

i totally agree with this when oil is up everything cost more when its down more money out there to spend on other things its not rocket science but political figures don't care IMHO because the lobbyist from the oil industry keep handing them money. The politicians only have their best interest in mind and not the people that voted them in or our country... Just my .02 cents worth here
mavric65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:15 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Retail fuel prices are suppose to be driven up or down by the market where the station is located. This worked well when fuel prices were less than $2 a gallon, especially in larger markets (Dallas, Austin, Houston, etc.). However when fuel shot up in price a couple of years ago the herd of owners shrank even though the number of locations selling fuel stayed the same or slightly went up. Many a smaller operator with between 3 and 15 locations couldn't get bank financing for their fuel inventories so they were selling out (and still are) to others that have more locations and can get the financing (normal inventories run between 18,000 and 30,000 gallons per location).

Here in Temple, TX there are 2 major local station owners (who are also wholesalers) and they are consistently 10 to as much as 22 cents more than national players such as Valero. Interestingly enough there are a number of 1 and 2 store owners here that get their fuel from these local wholersalers, and are selling for the same as the national players. Of course when you get into smaller communities you're stuck with paying what these local players are getting (unless of course you drive 20-30 miles).

There is an organization for convenience store operators named NACS (search for them on the web) and depending on what is going on in the market place, will either state that their members should be able to sell fuel for what it will cost them to replace it (wholesale prices are going up so we get to pay more at the pump) or they'll state that their members should be able to sell the fuel for what it cost them (even though wholesale prices are falling and thus the reason prices don't fall as fast at the pump).

Another big push by the NACS group was with congress to pass (which they did) a bill limiting how much bank card issurer companies can charge for credit/debit card transaction interchange fees (to be managed by the federal reserve no less). Of course NACS claims its members will pass this savings along to the consumer. I'm not holding my breath and I'm sure if it's reviewed a year after it's put in place we'll see the savings was passed through to the C-Store owners bottom line.

BTW - fuel should be treated like other commodities (corn, cotton, rice, etc.) when being traded. When your trade comes due you (or who ever bought your ticket) need to have ample storage for it some place. And just like corn, wheat, etc. if you don't have available storage then you can't purchase it in the first place. This would keep the speculators out of the fuel commodities trading and the price would fall and then stablize.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPICoaster View Post
BTW - fuel should be treated like other commodities (corn, cotton, rice, etc.) when being traded. When your trade comes due you (or who ever bought your ticket) need to have ample storage for it some place. And just like corn, wheat, etc. if you don't have available storage then you can't purchase it in the first place. This would keep the speculators out of the fuel commodities trading and the price would fall and then stablize.
2X on that. I'd like to see some NY trader take delivery on 50,000 barrels of oil...... and try to get rid of it
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:06 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
x3 for me.

Tags
diesel, gas