Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2019, 07:47 PM   #85

I paid $3.45 this morning in Visalia, I've seen it that high $5 in Lee Vining 5 years ago
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2019, 07:59 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler of california View Post
Well sfopilot you better pray that those in charge don’t eliminate Prop 13. They sure are trying. Then watch your property taxes soar.

I guess the human forces and druggie needles and homeless situation in SF is also Fox News made up stories.

Nick
No it's not a Fox news fake report. It is a fact and a problem in SF as it is in ALL major US cities. No more, no less.
As to prop 13... I'd welcome a change. Why should I pay 1/2 the taxes my neighbor pays just because he bought his house, an exact copy of mine, 3 yrs after I did? Prop 13 was passed with good intentions but should be updated.
So where in CA do you live Traveler of California? Do you benefit from prop 13? If you rent instead of own you still benefit.
Old 10-24-2019, 08:22 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sfopilot View Post
My 7 figure CA home taxes are 4200/yr where as my NH home ($235k) I sold last yr had taxes of 6500/yr.
The property taxes on your 7-figure home are only $4,200 a year because of prop 13 passed by the voters in 1978. Your assessed value is based on your purchase price plus 2% per year as long as you own the home regardless of real value. Buy a million-dollar home today and your taxes will be about $20K per year. You obviously bought your home a long time ago. Probably for around $200K.
Old 10-24-2019, 08:49 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woo10-210 View Post
The property taxes on your 7-figure home are only $4,200 a year because of prop 13 passed by the voters in 1978. Your assessed value is based on your purchase price plus 2% per year as long as you own the home regardless of real value. Thank the Republicans for that. Buy a million-dollar home today and your taxes will be about $20K per year. You obviously bought your home a long time ago. Probably for around $200K.
Nailed it!
Old 10-24-2019, 08:49 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woo10-210 View Post
The property taxes on your 7-figure home are only $4,200 a year because of prop 13 passed by the voters in 1978. Your assessed value is based on your purchase price plus 2% per year as long as you own the home regardless of real value. Buy a million-dollar home today and your taxes will be about $20K per year. You obviously bought your home a long time ago. Probably for around $200K.
Exactly...1985 for $185k. Which is why I feel prop 13 is unfair even though I greatly benefit from it.
Old 10-24-2019, 08:55 PM   #90

Quote:
So don't come to California! We'll do just fine without you or your money. We'll have:
Shorter lines at ag entry points.
Fewer big rigs (MH's) on our highways and country roads.
More camping spots available at state and federal parks.
And maybe fewer people complaining about things they have no knowledge about.
1 in 5 haven't completed high school?? Really?? Sounds like a Fox news static. I doubt that is fact but then again what about states in the mid/lower southern states? CA has some of the best schools & universities in the country.
We have somewhat high taxes but not nearly as bad as property taxes in states like NH or MA. My 7 figure CA home taxes are 4200/yr where as my NH home ($235k) I sold last yr had taxes of 6500/yr.
All states have +/- so why denigrate the home states of others.
Let me guess. Your 7 figure CA house has an assessed value of $350K because you bought it 25 years ago for $250K. The movement to repeal Prop 13 comes from your new neighbors- who are buying those 7 figure homes and don’t think it’s fair that they are paying $15K/yr or more and you are only paying $4200. Plus the busybodies in Sacramento need a fresh supply of funds. California doesn’t have high property taxes as a percent of property value, it does have ridiculously high home prices, high income tax rates, high sales tax and high fuel prices.

Take a gander at the student demographics at Dymally High school, then tell us more about the great schools.

New Hampshire has no income tax or sales tax. A great arrangement for high income earners. They don’t take your money when you earn it or spend it. The state also has some of the smoothest roads in the country. I was just there last month. You can also get a lot more house in NH for $235K than you can in CA.
Old 10-24-2019, 08:57 PM   #91

Actually the prop 13 rate is 1percent of assessed value(purchase price) with Max increase of 2 percent per year.
Old 10-24-2019, 09:00 PM   #92

Quote:
Exactly...1985 for $185k. Which is why I feel prop 13 is unfair even though I greatly benefit from it.
Well, as unfair as you feel it is, there's probably 10 that feel it's very fair. When it was passed, retired people on fixed incomes who owned their homes outright were literally losing their homes because they couldn't afford the taxes. My grandparents were in that situation. They built their home in Anaheim just a few blocks from where Disneyland is now in the early '40's for around $4K and by the late 70's they were paying taxes on a $100K home after long being retired. If it wasn't for their children coming together to help them out they probably would have lost the home.
Old 10-24-2019, 09:16 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
Let me guess. Your 7 figure CA house has an assessed value of $350K because you bought it 25 years ago for $250K. The movement to repeal Prop 13 comes from your new neighbors- who are buying those 7 figure homes and don’t think it’s fair that they are paying $15K/yr or more and you are only paying $4200. Plus the busybodies in Sacramento need a fresh supply of funds. California doesn’t have high property taxes as a percent of property value, it does have ridiculously high home prices, high income tax rates, high sales tax and high fuel prices.

Take a gander at the student demographics at Dymally High school, then tell us more about the great schools.

New Hampshire has no income tax or sales tax. A great arrangement for high income earners. They don’t take your money when you earn it or spend it. The state also has some of the smoothest roads in the country. I was just there last month. You can also get a lot more house in NH for $235K than you can in CA.
The*Oregon*(OR)*sales tax*rate is currently 0%. Though there is no state*sales tax,*Oregon*was noted in Kiplinger's 2011 10*Tax-Unfriendly States for Retirees due to having one of the highest*tax*rates on personal income in the nation.

NH has basically only property taxes which is why my father couldn't afford the property taxes on the house I grew up in and he had owned for 55 yrs.

As I said before every state has pluses and minuses. I love NH and am there every couple of months. I left CA once and considered it one of my biggest mistakes ever. Returned after being away one year never to consider moving again.
Old 10-24-2019, 09:16 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot_1 View Post
But Calyforna's have a much higher income base, they can afford the cost of livin out there. Its the rest of the country thats struggling
And yet 75% of the wealthy people in California are considering moving out of the state.
Old 10-24-2019, 09:17 PM   #95

People of CA are happy topay that amount of gas and all other taxes. They keep voting spenders into office. They enjoy keeping illegals halthy and well fed. They are happy to spnd billions on a train that may never move. Voters are happy to pay for addict needles. Must pay to clean those needles and the poop off San Fran streets and sidewalks too.
Old 10-24-2019, 09:19 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlJB View Post
And yet 75% of the wealthy people in California are considering moving out of the state.
And that statistic is from???
Old 10-24-2019, 09:25 PM   #97

Quote:
So why not send in an extra $10K/yr in property tax if you feel it’s unfair?

I have plenty of wealthy friends who insist that taxes should be higher, especially on the wealthy, yet they all hire the best accountants in order to pay the least amount possible.
Old 10-24-2019, 09:26 PM   #98
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
OK, enough. Those who couldn't refrain from political commentary & California bashing have resulted in us having to close this thread.

Thank you to those who did post within our rules.

Lori-
Closed Thread

Tags
gas