Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2019, 07:36 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwood58 View Post
All of the coaches will get you where you want to go. Sometimes not as fast or as quiet as we would like. The ACE will get you a lot of room for the money. The trade off will mainly be noise at the high RPM required when hill climbing. The reality is that you will spend most of your time sitting in a camp spot somewhere, so focus mainly on interior and comfort options.

The first year we had our A Gasser, it was all about suspension and drive train performance. Ever since it has been about interior comfort and technology.

No matter what you decide, getting out there and having fun is job #1.
I think perhaps this is great advice. So far I’ve driven out RV with a schedule so it’s “best feet” to meet the schedule, more time driving than camping. The comfort of the ACE 29 is superior to the Quantum 24. Size matters. So I’ll look further into the ACE. Who knows where this will take us. But more time camping is the goal!
Rookie RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2019, 06:20 AM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
My in-laws have an ACE and love it. They cycled through several different RVs before landing on that one, and it's the first one they didn't grow to hate after just a few months. I think they've had it for 2 or 3 years now, and though they've had some problems, they still love it. My MIL uses it as a "she-shed" when it's parked at their house.
schad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 07:28 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie RVer View Post
I think perhaps this is great advice. So far I’ve driven out RV with a schedule so it’s “best feet” to meet the schedule, more time driving than camping. The comfort of the ACE 29 is superior to the Quantum 24. Size matters. So I’ll look further into the ACE. Who knows where this will take us. But more time camping is the goal!

I suggest test driving the Ace, with iron springs, and a rig with air ride, back to back.
And test them on crappy roads!
My air ride keeps me cruising, farther and without pain.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 07:33 AM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
I've had my gasser over the smokies, and over the rockies. I didn't break the sound barrier for sure, but we got there. Plus i got 60k in my pocket over buying the diesel. Maybe someday but right now, my gasser has gone from point A to point B every time.
Old 07-16-2019, 07:43 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderson2228 View Post
I've had my gasser over the smokies, and over the rockies. I didn't break the sound barrier for sure, but we got there. Plus i got 60k in my pocket over buying the diesel. Maybe someday but right now, my gasser has gone from point A to point B every time.
Agree but it seems everyone eventually wants a diesel
jarata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 08:39 AM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarata View Post

Yea i think it's alot of keeping up with the Jones's, bigger is better and all that. If you want a 45 footer tag axle you have no choice. That makes sense, but buy a 34 foot diesel to me seems a little silly because the finishes arent much nicer. The fit and finish difference between say a canyon star and a ventana LE or not Kountry Star or an Open Road and a RED really isn't major. Now if you're up to the phaeton and king aire different conversation but your also talking a couple hundred grand more.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:05 AM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
When I'm in my parking spot with the jacks down, the slide out, and the electric and water connected, I can't tell any difference between my gasser and a corresponding diesel, until I look at my checkbook..
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:36 AM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
When I'm in my parking spot with the jacks down, the slide out, and the electric and water connected, I can't tell any difference between my gasser and a corresponding diesel, until I look at my checkbook..

Bingo! I like to spend my money on the experiences when i get to the site, not on the travel getting there
Old 07-16-2019, 12:32 PM   #23

Why even buy a Class A RV?

My wife wanted a Class A/Super C when we went back to traveling and camping when the children left to be on their own. I said why? We still need to tow a toad if we have a motorhome. Why not invest in a 5er and pick-up truck, than I would not need to maintain three rolling chassis. An save some money in insurance, operating cost so forth and still have two very good vehicles. A diesel pick-up truck and a very good 5er plus your car.
Will I am glad she agreed with this decision since we have had three different 5er in the 13 years we have been traveling and camping now. I could not afford three different motorhomes in that time period. Plus I can run between 65 and 55 all day long with my trailer attached. I cross the continental divide doing 55mph on I70 in 5th gear with no issues at all pulling my Cedar Creek.

The only downside to this is we can't stay at class A resorts, but do I really want to!
Old 07-16-2019, 02:58 PM   #24

Gas or Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderson2228 View Post
Yea i think it's alot of keeping up with the Jones's, bigger is better and all that. If you want a 45 footer tag axle you have no choice. That makes sense, but buy a 34 foot diesel to me seems a little silly because the finishes arent much nicer. The fit and finish difference between say a canyon star and a ventana LE or not Kountry Star or an Open Road and a RED really isn't major. Now if you're up to the phaeton and king aire different conversation but your also talking a couple hundred grand more.

My 10 year old 43 ft DP will always ride better than any new iron spring coach, and it cost me less at 5 than a new Open Road gas model. It’s what my butt requires, and what my wallet likes.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 03:02 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
Why even buy a Class A RV?

My wife wanted a Class A/Super C when we went back to traveling and camping when the children left to be on their own. I said why? We still need to tow a toad if we have a motorhome. Why not invest in a 5er and pick-up truck, than I would not need to maintain three rolling chassis. An save some money in insurance, operating cost so forth and still have two very good vehicles. A diesel pick-up truck and a very good 5er plus your car.
Will I am glad she agreed with this decision since we have had three different 5er in the 13 years we have been traveling and camping now. I could not afford three different motorhomes in that time period. Plus I can run between 65 and 55 all day long with my trailer attached. I cross the continental divide doing 55mph on I70 in 5th gear with no issues at all pulling my Cedar Creek.

The only downside to this is we can't stay at class A resorts, but do I really want to!

I agree with every point you make. My only reason for preferring the MH over a trailer is the ability to access the living quarters while underway. If you are wanting to cover a lot of ground it helps to have food and a restroom accessible. If I was retired and did not care about travel times, I would definitely be more interested in a trailer...
SlowJoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas