Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2021, 03:33 PM   #43

Monaco Owners Club
Fine the floor plan that works for you
an buy it gas or diesel its your money
oh no is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2021, 03:53 PM   #44

Diesel

Well, once you go Diesel you'll never go back to the gutless gas motor no matter what you tow. And as far as maintenance, somebody is blowing smoke up yer ***. �� Cummins can go up to 15k miles between oil change if you desire, and recommends fuel filter every 15k miles. I certainly wouldn't call that expensive nor high maintenance �� And they will go 500,000 miles.
Rammannn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 03:55 PM   #45

Amen, could not have said it better
DJensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 03:59 PM   #46

Fleetwood Owners Club
We have a Gas with the new 7.3L V-8. Does a great job, @ 68-70 average 8-8.6 not towing & no wind. Out west in mts. Average dropped to 7.6. Gas prices cheaper right now. We’ve done 16K first year. Only oil & filters. We also added 5 Star tuning which increased HP on top end making mts. no problem.
Cloudbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 04:01 PM   #47

Ram Diesel will do 18-21 under the same conditions and not break a sweat in the mountains. Just giving a comparison, ford makes a decent truck
DJensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 04:05 PM   #48

I could not agree more

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrungis View Post
The one and only component no one else has talked about is EXHAUST BRAKING. Up hills, mpg, torque and all that jazz is preference but if you have a long twisty, downhill descent at 6%, you would thank your lucky stars to have an integrated transmission and exhaust brake on a diesel engine. A gas truck and trailer will burn up their brakes by the time the get to the bottom. Not to discount if it is hot outside. Then you'd get brake fade.
Location is missing from this subject. I live on the Central Coast of California. It is difficult to get N, NE, E and SE out of here without going over mountains for well over a 1000 miles, but once we are east of the Rockies we could be on Auto Pilot across the Midwest. I'm in no hurry uphill, but it is nice to pull them at a steady low diesel rpm instead of what would be much high revs in a gasser. As you say the best part is the no brake downhill side also at a steady speed. Forget the better fuel economy and often lower cost fuel...the ease of handling both sides of mountains is priceless.
joesesto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 04:22 PM   #49

Gas or Diesel.

Diesels are designed to work hard and long. Even non- stop. I have run my boat diesel. Literally for weeks, non-stop except to check vitals. My last one had over 25,000 hours. I currently have a Cummins 8.3 ISC. NO DEF!!! Love it. Will replace some day with electric. Some day. Gas engines just aren’t the work horses that diesels are. On a big rig….diesel. On smaller rigs either work. Just spent 3 wks in my daughters 24’ motorhome Gas. It was great! On my 38’ full time home loaded! Diesel!!
Roadyacht1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 04:22 PM   #50

DEF Head Issues

I have a gas MH. Won't consider moving to diesel until the DEF head problems are resolved with a fix that won't leave me stranded on the side of the road.
Geokenuae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 04:28 PM   #51

I'm holding out for this..... But until then it is diesel all the way!
Attached Images

Old 10-07-2021, 04:47 PM   #52

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z714X4 View Post
I'm holding out for this..... But until then it is diesel all the way!
X2 on that, and remember "Mr. Fusion" runs on beer and banana peels.

Ain't life great !

Mike in Colorado
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 04:58 PM   #53

Gas or Diesel? I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the inherent safety associated with diesel! We subject ourselves, our family & our possessions to a very dynamic road environment that haplessly can kill us rather quickly & assuredly if a fire starting spark occurs near a trickle of gas! A 100 gallons of gas can 100% destroy your MH & kill people very quickly! On the other hand, a ruptured diesel tank just won't ignite!

A diesel eng. MH, that has a diesel generator & diesel heating system along with an elec. stove & refer. is well prepared for surviving a hapless road accident & doesn't have to worry about the ignition of a propane leak!

Duane2
Duane2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 05:24 PM   #54

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mods: can you do a sticky pointing to the gas vs diesel threads so we don't have to see this tired old discussion over and over again? Kind of like the Guns thread?
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 05:26 PM   #55

Gas is for little boys with a red wagon. Diesel is for men with a big load. Wife says once you go diesel you will never go back. Next Rv will be a DP 605 HP. More power UUGH!
We Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 05:37 PM   #56

We started with a large TT and quickly bought a diesel f-350, thinking we may upgrade to a 5th wheel. Didn’t do that, bought a DP instead. The f-350 was too crazy bumpy for everyday driving, so we got rid of that for a small gas pickup. 6 years later we decided to shift gears and traded the big DP for a Sprinter. I enjoyed driving it, no need for a toad, DW enjoyed the ride, but hated the accommodations. So we bought the only thing we could find …a gas class A. It gets the job done, but it has two gray and two black tanks, and the blacks never seem to drain correctly. It literally screams all the way up the mountain, and then to keep it from burning up the brakes, i use tow/haul and it screams back down the other side. It isn’t enjoyable to drive, but, we only got out twice this summer in it, so it is a whole lot easier to “justify” than a DP. I’m thinking we’ll keep it for a few years, then maybe trade down to a 10’ shorter and much lighter class C.

As far as the debate over gas vs diesel, however, it really boils down to two or three or four things: personal preference, how often you will use it, and your financial ability/willingness to spend more for a higher priced MH that you may only rarely use (like our case turned out to be…wasn’t the plan, but life [and cancer] happens). As far as towing a TT or fiver goes, I’d stick with gas for 8k pounds or less TT, 8-10k and it could go either way, more than that or a fiver and diesel would be my preference…but I would be hesitant to do that again if I could only go out a few times a year and the super duty had to be my daily driver as well. If I ever decide to tow again, to will be a TT and it will be less than 8000# loaded, unless an F-250 rides as nice as my new F-150 (the 350 was way too harsh as a daily driver).
RamblingRV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas