Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2008, 04:30 PM   #1

Before anyone slows the heck down!! I ran the speed limit all day today (70) and the ONLY thing that didn't pass me were big trucks! I swear people were running 85-90 mph!! The big trucks have figured out slowing down saves fuel but 4 wheelers must not have a brain! You should not gripe one bit about fuel prices unless your running the speed limit or under.

FWIW i went 228.2 miles in my old explorer today and put 10.55 gallons in it. Filled up to the lip at the same pump both times. Thats 21.63 MPG on a 16 yr old 4X4 Explorer with 132K on it! Ran the speed limit all day which here is 65-70 on 2 lanes and 70 on the interstate. Also went over Boulder Pass, Homestake Pass & Mc Donald Pass so it wasn't all easy driving. The irony of this is Dad has a rental Chebby Trailblazer with 9K miles on it and can't get anything more than a low 22 mpg out of it and he drives slower than i do!! Seems like every time a new model year sport ute or pickup comes out the lower the mileage gets.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2008, 04:30 PM   #2

Before anyone slows the heck down!! I ran the speed limit all day today (70) and the ONLY thing that didn't pass me were big trucks! I swear people were running 85-90 mph!! The big trucks have figured out slowing down saves fuel but 4 wheelers must not have a brain! You should not gripe one bit about fuel prices unless your running the speed limit or under.

FWIW i went 228.2 miles in my old explorer today and put 10.55 gallons in it. Filled up to the lip at the same pump both times. Thats 21.63 MPG on a 16 yr old 4X4 Explorer with 132K on it! Ran the speed limit all day which here is 65-70 on 2 lanes and 70 on the interstate. Also went over Boulder Pass, Homestake Pass & Mc Donald Pass so it wasn't all easy driving. The irony of this is Dad has a rental Chebby Trailblazer with 9K miles on it and can't get anything more than a low 22 mpg out of it and he drives slower than i do!! Seems like every time a new model year sport ute or pickup comes out the lower the mileage gets.
Old 05-11-2008, 06:24 PM   #3

mjstef

You collect trucks? Sell some of them and you will have enough money to drive one for awhile. LOL s/Toby
Old 05-11-2008, 06:27 PM   #4

mjstef
Did not see where you sold them until I posted. Sorry about that. s/Toby
Old 05-12-2008, 02:52 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Seems like every time a new model year sport ute or pickup comes out the lower the mileage gets.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE> I agree, the manufacturer ad's on tv brag about their new cars getting 32 to 35 mpg just doesn't cut it for me. These ad's represent smaller cars too, not the big ones. In 1982 we bought a brand new Honda Accord that consistently got 32 to 35 in town and 38 to 40 mpg on the highway. With modern technology and advances in design how come they haven't bettered that?
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 05:42 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I've owned Hondas, lots and currently have an Accord, Civic and a new Odyssey with 300 miles on it.

I owned a 1979, 81 and 83 Accord, all purchased new.

You can not compare a 1982 Accord to a 2008 Accord. A fairer comparison would be a 1982 Accord to a 2008 Civic. Even that may not be a fair comparison, mostly because of size and weight.

Plus, in times of cheap oil buyers would not buy the most fuel efficient vehicles.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 07:02 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
I've been squeezing out about 12.3 mpg running empty on my 100 mile round trip (A day) commute to work and back. I usually purr along at 60mph when running empty, watch the speed demons shoot by, then catch back up to them a few minutes later when they ran into the wall of slow moving traffic that's usually ahead. Usually takes me about an hour with traffic delays to make the 50 mile journey there.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 11:18 AM   #8

We usually set the cruise control when on a proper road to 59 mph and stay in the right lane. Many cars are set on 60 and this makes it easier. It seems to increase our mileage about 15 % over 65 mph. I have a 33 foot coach with a 496 V-8 pulling a midsize pickup. That gives up a whopping 7.1 mph. I have also tried to become a momentum driver in that in hills we try to play to hills to gain momentum going down to use when going up. We also try to rarely use the brakes and try to coast as much as possible. I try to make a game out of saving momentum and it translates into increase fuel mileage. My main problem is the idiot on her cell phone trying to merge at 45 mph without a clue what is meant by an acceleration lane.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:26 PM   #9

Whats really bad is these new Tier II diesels are getting about 25% less mileage than a diesel was 5 years ago. Sometimes worse than that...........
Old 05-13-2008, 06:36 PM   #10

The service managers at Ford called them "sicko diesels" My cousin who works at a Ford assembly plant bought one of the first ones off the line, didn't get to drive it much though, first they replaced the fuel managment computer, then a short while after that the turbo came apart. They are notorious for shutting down for no apparent reason. I have a 98 Mercedes C230 that gets 32 MPG with plenty of get up and go and its a gas burner not a diesel!
Hillbilly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 10:54 AM   #11

There's a TV ad about railroad freight train efficiency. They say they can move one ton 432 miles on a gallon of diesel. Maybe we should put our Rv's on a freight car. My 11 ton motorhome would then get 39.3 MPG (432/11)
wazone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 12:13 PM   #12

mj, I'm beginning to think some people would go without food in order to drive faster than everyone else.

wazone2, The beginning of the end of the growth of the U.S.A., was when our federal "representatives" voted to dismantle our rail system, and instead, depend on trucking to supply the country.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 12:29 PM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The beginning of the end of the growth of the U.S.A., was when our federal "representatives" voted to dismantle our rail system, and instead, depend on trucking to supply the country. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>So true and well said!!! That comes from a retired truck driver who has seen the fantastic rail system in Europe. And still can remember riding the passenger trains in this country on both the Erie RR and the NYC RR. Tells my age.

Oh, the big banks had a bit to do with it too!
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 12:49 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Well said!

Isn't it amazing how all the new light rail lines are being constructed or expanded all over the country for passenger service, and all the new short line freight railroads are starting to compete. I'm a long time rail fan and proponent of railroads of all kinds and it is gratifying to see rails expand. Too bad it is because of outlandish fuel prices. Pick up a copy of the latest addition of Trains magazine and see what I mean.

Bob
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote