Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2014, 02:41 PM   #15

Gas prices have dropped back a little over the week end. Easter travel is over now and demand is reduced. Profit taking has run it's course for now. I don't think the petroleum companies caused this but the local proprietor was looking for a little boost in the wallet. The local Kroger is now 3.61, down from 3.73 mid-week. You feel better when they stop whipping you, for a while.

The cartoon stated 1952 prices. The cheapest gas I ever bought was .08/gal in 1957. Gas wars were very common then and I just caught it at the right time. The price was only good for about 1/2 hour and that price did not cover the tax. Normal prices back then were hovering around $.20 at the cut rate gas stations and yes, they aired your tires, washed your windshield and checked the oil for you, except in a western Iowa blizzard or a raging thunder storm.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2014, 07:36 AM   #16

Back in the 70's, Motorhome Life magazine had on it's cover, in big red letters: "WOULD YOU RV AT $2.00 A GALLON?". We obviously blew past that price and never looked back. I was really pleased during a west coast trip last year when almost every gas fill up was under my budgeted price of $3.75 a gallon...
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:59 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
We are Canadians.
Left home Oct.3 diesel was $1.31/litre.
Roughly 4 litres to an american gallon makes the
price at $5.20/gal. We travelled throughout the USA
and paid $3.20/gal in Memphis to a high of $3.90/gal.

Got back home and found diesel was $1.46/litre.
This makes it $5.84/US gallon.

Wonder why we like driving in the States????
luckyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:03 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Gas Price Schedule

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
Back in the 70's, Motorhome Life magazine had on it's cover, in big red letters: "WOULD YOU RV AT $2.00 A GALLON?". We obviously blew past that price and never looked back. I was really pleased during a west coast trip last year when almost every gas fill up was under my budgeted price of $3.75 a gallon...

That 1970 $2 adjusted for inflation would be $12.18 a gallon today! Even the magical .25 cents a gallon 1950 price would be $2.45 today. Also remember that 50 cents a gallon is the average fed and state tax on gas.

Prices are high today indeed, but it really isn't as insane as we all perceive it to be.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 03:15 PM   #19

In 1999, right after hurricane Floyd blew through my area, gas was $0.89 a gallon. Funny how back then a hurricane had no effect on the cost of fuel.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:17 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
[ QUOTE=bluegrassrv;2022395]In 1999, right after hurricane Floyd blew through my area, gas was $0.89 a gallon. Funny how back then a hurricane had no effect on the cost of fuel.[/QUOTE]

Are there oil refineries in the area?

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Old 04-23-2014, 03:32 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Yesterday morning, gas at the Hucks station was $3.42. Came back yesterday afternoon and it was $3.59. This morning it's $3.53. No rhyme or reason for gas pricing. Eddie Elk.
1998 Pace Arrow Vision 36' w/460, '03 Honda CRV, FMCA #388823, Gateway Getaways RV Club
eddieelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:36 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Oh, where have the Green Stamps and free glassware gone? 'Ding, Ding. I do miss those 'Gas Wars'!

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:38 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
It's all BS (sorry, just MHO)
When I worked at a gas station in 1967 gas was .25 a gal.. We checked the air in the tires, the oil and washed all the car windows. We had to be careful not to scratch the paint with our coin changers. The worst night to work was Thursday, the day before payday, because everyone wanted 1 gal.. They also expected all the above mentioned services. Does anyone remember bulk oil?

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:56 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
[QUOTE=Pepper2 Does anyone remember bulk oil?[/QUOTE]

Heck yeah, my '51 Chevy used almost as much bulk oil as it did gas...17cents a quart. The attendants hated to see this thing come across their dinger...automatic 2 to 3 quarts in hand and maybe a buck fifty in gas. Geez, was I poor, but young. Best $21 dollar car I ever bought.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:41 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raining Star View Post
[ QUOTE=bluegrassrv;2022395]In 1999, right after hurricane Floyd blew through my area, gas was $0.89 a gallon. Funny how back then a hurricane had no effect on the cost of fuel.

Are there oil refineries in the area?[/QUOTE]

No refineries, but a couple of large terminals. But that's got nothing to do with it. When Sandy skirted or coast recently, fuel went up and the media blamed the storm. What changed between the two storms?
Old 04-24-2014, 12:02 AM   #26

I started pumping gas at 0.23 a gal , I remember the looks we got from the Caddy and Olds owners , when premium went over 0.50, you'd think we were there with a gun in our hands.
Also remember minimum wage was 0.90 , and because I worked for my dad and wasn't paying room and board , I got .65, never did hear if mom ever got the quarter an hour for household budget.
First car cost $125. but cost me $400 a year to insure, can you imagine telling someone today ; working for min wage ; that they have to work 444 hours to pay for their car insurance & licence.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:29 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
If there is a pattern, I haven't solidly locked onto it yet. However; the local station seems to be higher on weekday mornings and at the start of weekends. Most afternoons, the price drops a few cents. I assume to catch the weekday commuters and weekend travelers. I'm not so old but I do remember when the price stayed the same for weeks at a time.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:52 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFNM View Post
If there is a pattern, I haven't solidly locked onto it yet. However; the local station seems to be higher on weekday mornings and at the start of weekends. Most afternoons, the price drops a few cents. I assume to catch the weekday commuters and weekend travelers. I'm not so old but I do remember when the price stayed the same for weeks at a time.

Thanks for asking the question I originally asked. I agree the price used to be more stable. I was wondering if the pattern was something they did based on the calendar, or some other concept, and who's making the call.

Certainly there must be something more to it than the local kid in the gas station decided to change prices on a whim this morning. Heck, I don't even know if it's been changed by the local station manager or dictated by corporate in their policies and prices to stations.

Many products and services really seem to fluctuate in price these days, often on a daily basis. I can't help but wonder how they are being determined. .

(Snowbirds in Reverse)

Tags
gas