Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2011, 12:39 AM   #1

gas rv

Hi I am thinking about getting a gas rv (gas is .72* a gallon cheaper here) but would like to find out which larger bunk bed coach is preferred or liked the best and also what chassis Chev or Ford. any ideas on what to or what not to get will be helpful
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2011, 01:28 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi NIFFIT,
Based on the bunk bed statement consider Newmar's Bay Star 3310. Go to Motorhomes By Newmar Corp | Bay Star Floorplans and read about it.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 06:35 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
New? Used? Very used?
What engine has your present coach got?
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 07:55 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
As with everything it's never as simple as the price of gas vs fuel. I've got a Monaco LaPalma on a Workhorse chassis and a Chevrolet 8.1 engine that I'm real happy with. Not to start a war but my preference is the V8 over the V10. I also have a Chevy Suburban with a 6.5 diesel and 240k on the clock.

With a diesel you get better mileage, more power (torque), and durability but you also have expensive maintenance and repair. Unless you are putting in huge mileage numbers annually the durability factor isn't a big factor. Nor is the difference in mileage enough to to make up the difference in fuel prices. With the big upfront cost of a diesel I just couldn't make the numbers work for me.

All that being said, if money were not an issue, I would get a DP for the power and weight rating.
Mageksl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:04 AM   #5

We have a Damon Challenger 376 it comes in either a workhorse chassis or the ford f53 chassis mine is on the ford chassis. On our trip to Yellowstone last summer we averaged 8.2 mpg and that was towing a ford escape. There are many brands that have bunk models just find what fits your needs and pocketbook and enjoy. Safe travels.

Neko & Nilla
rbracing60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:35 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
You'll never get a definitive answer on Ford vs Chevy, each is very well suited for the task at hand. Pick a floor plan you like and buy it without worry or regard for the mfg. of the chassis.
macnkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 09:33 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I will adress the "Which Chassis question. There are 3 answers.

1: Personally I prefer Chevy to Ford,,, That is because of my expierence with cars however.. Ford does build good trucks... (But then so does Chevy) In truth, unless, like me, you have a personal favorite.. not much to recommend one over the other.

2: I drive a Workhorse with a 8.1L Chevy Vortec V8 and I'm very pleased with it, this 38' Motor home hauled a 4,000 towed for 4 years like it was not even there. Only once did I ever have a "lack of power" issue, and when I "Dropped" the towed and drove the motor home over the hill. then the car. I had no problem.

3: At this time Chevy no longer makes an engine suitable for Workhorse, they have discontinued the 8.1L At the instance of the EPA or so I'm told and Workhorse, now Navistar, is looking for a replacement.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:45 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
New? Used? Very used?

454 with the banks
Old 11-27-2011, 12:48 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
New? Used? Very used?

new or very lightly used
Old 11-27-2011, 12:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mageksl View Post
As with everything it's never as simple as the price of gas vs fuel. I've got a Monaco LaPalma on a Workhorse chassis and a Chevrolet 8.1 engine that I'm real happy with. Not to start a war but my preference is the V8 over the V10. I also have a Chevy Suburban with a 6.5 diesel and 240k on the clock.

With a diesel you get better mileage, more power (torque), and durability but you also have expensive maintenance and repair. Unless you are putting in huge mileage numbers annually the durability factor isn't a big factor. Nor is the difference in mileage enough to to make up the difference in fuel prices. With the big upfront cost of a diesel I just couldn't make the numbers work for me.

All that being said, if money were not an issue, I would get a DP for the power and weight rating.
money is an issue, that is why we are looking at gas
Old 11-27-2011, 02:45 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIFFIT View Post
money is an issue, that is why we are looking at gas
Same issue here.
Mageksl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 03:37 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Two years ago this coming January, we found our WH with the 8.1 with 17K miles on it and have been all over the West and this past summer, Alaska. Now, with almost 28K miles traveled, we are still very happy with the chassis. You should be able to find the floor plan that meets your needs that has the WH base. That said, I would think that 'floor plan' would trump a particular chassis.

We too chose gas because we needed to keep the initial costs down and I'm able to do most of our own maintenance...simplicity is king with me. I also wanted the Allison tranny and so far it's been a smooth operator. There have been a handful of times when I wished we had a diesel for the extra power, but when it comes time to change the oil/filters and do a lube job, I come to my senses. YMMV. We tow a Wrangler and we've only had to disconnect a couple of times when we were in some places we shouldn't have been in the first place. The 8.1 is a sweet engine and it purrs best at 60 - 63 mph. We love it! Good luck with your search. Bob

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 03:48 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIFFIT View Post
454 with the banks
The 8.1 runs circles around it. This coming from a guy that owned a 454 TBI with headers/intake/bored throttle body and TBI chip flash.

The allison & 8.1 making driving a breeze. Did 700 miles this weekend w/o so much as a hitch! Keep it between 60mph uphill and 70mph down.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas