Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2017, 07:20 AM   #15

Federal law limits your liability on a cc (not debit card) to $50. Banks routinely don't charge you anything. A couple of thoughts. Capital One cards now give different card numbers (same account) to H and W (or family members). When one card is compromised they only have to shut down and replace the one, so the spouse's still works. Great system. Also, at least if you are big users of the card, banks will agree if asked to overnight the new one to you.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2017, 07:40 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceNorman View Post
People have been stealing from others since the emergence of man. As soon after a new technology appears - somebody comes up to with a way to exploit it. I'm not certainly not suggesting it's not a problem - but rather that it's simply a fact of life.

I will continue to use my credit card (NOT my debit card!!!) at point of sale machines. I've got it set so that I receive an email whenever my credit card is used for a purchase of more than $50 - as well as an email whenever my card is used for a remote transaction (i.e., an internet purchase, a phone in purchase, etc.) regardless of amount. It's common that my telephone's email received chime sounds while I'm putting my card away at the cashier counter - telling me my card was just used. (Note my DW is not crazy about me being notified every time she pulls out her card!)

I also log on and review my credit card charges a couple of times each week - just to be certain no unauthorized charges have been made.

The technology available to keep an eye on things is easy to use and doesn't pose any real inconvenience for me.

Granted - the couple of times I have been hit with a fraudulent charge - it's an inconvenience. The card issuer immediately cancels your card (leaving you unable to charge anything until a new one is received) - however, I've NEVER been held liable for a fraudulent charge. Aside from the inconvenience of being without a card for few days - it's been a non issue.

For me, the benefit of not having to deal with cash (and the increased risk that comes with having to obtain cash and constantly carry it) and the enhanced reporting that provides me with information regarding every purchase I've charged to my card - far outweighs the inconvenience that the 2 incidents of unauthorized use I've had to deal with over the past 20 years.
X2 except I get a text message on each transaction.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:09 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Same thing , all cards are set to have text msg sent to me on virtually any charge ( normally within 1 minute of being run) the waiter can't get back to the table before I see the charge ! We have 4 cards and use 2 , with 2 locked up in reserve "just in case". 3 of the cards have % kickback on all charges. We charge virtually everything and Pay the bill in total ea month.
We've Had no problems in the past 2 years and only a couple in the past 10 that have been resolved within a day or two. One was Walmart related , one a restaurant when we traced back .. the bank didn't concern itself and just credited all charges I disputed immediately and overnighted a new card to me.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:42 AM   #18

Angry Catch the thieves!

What is ridiculous is that they never seem to catch these thieves. Every gas station I have ever visited has security cameras covering every pump. How is it that the thieves can open up a pump, install a skimmer and not be clearly seen on the camera?

Other cameras cover the ingress and egress to the station so they have to have video of these bozo's coming and going as well as doing their dirty work. Arrrg!
Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas