Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2018, 02:03 PM   #1

GasBuddy Fuel Card???

Hello Folks.
I am very very curious. (bad feeling). I just responded to a link for a "GasBuddy Fuel Card" sign-up, that is linked directly to my bank account. You use it like a gas card, for $.05/gal discount nearly anywhere. I signed up BEFORE DOING DUE DILIGENCE and now I'm concerned. Anyone out familier and what can you tell me to ease my worries.

I should addthat I'm familiar with GasBuddy for searching fuel prices and I like it, but not certain about this. Looking for some others with experience- good or bad. Thank you.
jimd3246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2018, 02:50 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Not our type of 'thing' but this one seems legit;

How Pay with GasBuddy™ Works:

Consumers looking to save on every gallon of gas can enroll in the free Pay with GasBuddy program following these simple steps.

1. Visit pay.gasbuddy.com or download the free GasBuddy smartphone app and click on the wallet icon to get started

2. Sign up by connecting a valid checking account to Pay with GasBuddy™.

3. When you receive your card in the mail, activate it by setting up a unique Driver ID in the GasBuddy app. Your card is now ready to use.

4. Swipe your card at the gas pump as you would any other plastic form of payment. Your unique Driver ID makes using Pay with GasBuddy™ even more secure than a credit card.

5. By using Pay with GasBuddy™, you will save 10 cents per gallon off of your first fill up and 5 cents off every gallon thereafter.

https://help.gasbuddy.com/hc/en-us/c...with-GasBuddy-
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 03:51 PM   #3

There are better gas card deals. If you can get a Sams Club card it is 5% off each gal, $2.50 gal = $.125 off anywhere except Cosco and a few others couple that with a Good Sams card at Pilot Flying J for another $.05 off. There are other card that offer comparable discounts. Others will be along shortly to explain those. These are the ones I use.
redcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 04:40 PM   #4

We had a couple convenience store chains in upstate NY offer the same program. It saves them money on processing fees since most gas purchases are via credit card.
I'm sure it's legit.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:34 PM   #5

I have a GasBuddy card and use it regularly. Yes it is linked to my account.

It is accepted at most gas stations. It is my understanding that the gas buddy discount is not applicable if you use or buy fuel with another discount. Such as good Sam, Costco, Safeway, etc. But I am not sure.

So far no problems. Fingers crossed.

And a gas buddy card is not a credit card. It takes the money from your account as you use it so you have no balance at the end of the month. Unlike my credit card from Costco which will gladly carry a balance at 24% interest. Don’t know if Sams Club card is the same.
Fyrflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 07:46 PM   #6

Use mine regularly for about 8 months now without a problem. Sometimes I double dip.... that is use Good Sam at the flying J to get 5 cents off and then pay with gas buddy to get another 5 cents off. Gas buddy stops the pump at $75. Then you have to start a new purchase.
CamperDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 07:48 PM   #7

Limited stations

I have it linked as well and it works okay. Not all of stations I use accept it and a few stopped recently, ie Shell, opted for their own program. Seems the cash refund credit cards are the best way if you manage your cards/debt well.
K_n_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 08:43 PM   #8

Shell has a fuel rewards program NOT linked to any account - $0.05 off a gallon, gas or diesel. Been using it for about a year. Hey - 5 cents is 5 cents!!!

2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P, 1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC, 1989-1993 Tents!
Loggenrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 04:19 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My 2% rewards card pays me 5-7 cents per gallon back. But more importantly avoid the big truck gas stations. That will avoid their credit card fees, and 20-30 cents more per gallon.
Many car stations now have truck pumps in the rear or side of the building.
We drove 775 miles this week on one tank because diesel was only $2.79 at home in TX. It saved us about $30.
Was in WA this spring, diesel was a buck a gal more.
Old 09-19-2018, 05:00 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
My 2% rewards card pays me 5-7 cents per gallon back. But more importantly avoid the big truck gas stations. That will avoid their credit card fees, and 20-30 cents more per gallon.
Many car stations now have truck pumps in the rear or side of the building.
We drove 775 miles this week on one tank because diesel was only $2.79 at home in TX. It saved us about $30.
Was in WA this spring, diesel was a buck a gal more.
I agree. We use this method as well and have not had a problem doing so.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 07:52 AM   #11

Fee better

As usual, you guys can always clear things up for me. My concern was mainly, having the card directly connected into my bank acct. Glad to see others are using it with no problems. I feel better about it. Thank you all.
jimd3246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 05:03 PM   #12
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
But around here Shell is about $.30+ per gallon higher than anything else. Glad it works for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loggenrock View Post
Shell has a fuel rewards program NOT linked to any account - $0.05 off a gallon, gas or diesel. Been using it for about a year. Hey - 5 cents is 5 cents!!!

Tags
fuel, gas