Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2009, 11:11 AM   #1

I have had my 2004 Itasca Suncruiser 33V insured with GMAC (Good Sam) and my previous coach also insured with them for years. I have been a little concerned about the stability of the company due to press reports, bailouts and the like and contacted my regular auto insurer (Geico) today to see what they would charge. They are fairly new to RV’s, but the third largest auto insurer in the US. They have been very good on my cars and handled a fender bender and a windshield chip very nicely. They do a quantity discount for the three vehicles. The quote I got back was very good at only about 60% as much as the GMAC. I was wondering if anybody else has had a claim on their RV through Geico. Please tell me of any positive or negative experiences with Geico. Thanks

(edited to correct title)
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2009, 02:55 PM   #2

I hope people realize that I meant Geico rather than Geicp.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:36 PM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
I don't have GEICO for my RV but I did for my motorcycle. Their rates were low. Never had a claim (knock on wood) so don't know how they would react.

Sorry not much help.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:54 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Lindsay,
Geico has always been higher priced for me so I have never insured with them. One thing to consider is if they offer an annual or 6 month premium. I try to insure with companies that have an annual premium.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 11:00 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
To Lindsay Richards: When I read of AARP's (The Hartford) political musings I can't help but hold my nose, however, I've not ever found any insurance company who could insure my stick, MH, two cars for less $$. Geico couldn't even come close.
Milt. popuscdds
popsuscdds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 11:22 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
Before I renew insurance, I always shop. I dropped Good Sam several years ago due to an incredible price increase. Since then, I have had 3 different insurance companies. Geico and The Hartford (AARP) never made it to the final cut.
Old 11-15-2009, 12:52 PM   #7

To me, adequate insurance has always be a 2-part issue - first is price in relation to coverage, the other is how well and satisfactorily they handle claims - that is sometimes hard to gauge until AFTER signing up, and actually filing a claim - probably varies by area as well.

The game, is to find a company that scores well on both ends of the equation - an outfit that charges mucho $$$, but steps up to the plate on claims, MIGHT be the better deal than the el cheapo outfit that has low rates, but disappears when claim time rolls around...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 02:18 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
GEICO Government Employee Insurance Co.

Anything with the government can't be too good.
gasman28110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 03:37 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman28110 View Post

Actually, they are owned by Warren Buffet. Since he just reached into his pocket and paid $26 billion (with a B) to buy a railroad, I think there's a good chance you won't have trouble.

We have had Geico for 12 years now, and they have given us good service, up to the limits of the policy. We have had some claims, and they never balked about paying. Never had to have a claim on the RV part of the policy, but I can't imagine it being much different from the auto part (it's all on one policy, with a multi-vehicle discount).
tmh462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 05:29 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman28110 View Post

You mean like the Army, Navy, police, firefighters, and all the other public servants that do their best to serve you! Shame on you.
Old 11-15-2009, 05:33 PM   #11
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Two things here folks.

1. Let's not make comment's about each other.

2. Let's not start making political related posts.

Both are a violation of iRV2's rules.

Thanks.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 07:17 PM   #12

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Richards View Post
I have had my 2004 Itasca Suncruiser 33V insured with GMAC (Good Sam) and my previous coach also insured with them for years. I have been a little concerned about the stability of the company due to press reports, bailouts and the like and contacted my regular auto insurer (Geico) today to see what they would charge. They are fairly new to RV’s, but the third largest auto insurer in the US. They have been very good on my cars and handled a fender bender and a windshield chip very nicely. They do a quantity discount for the three vehicles. The quote I got back was very good at only about 60% as much as the GMAC. I was wondering if anybody else has had a claim on their RV through Geico. Please tell me of any positive or negative experiences with Geico. Thanks

(edited to correct title)
I'm like you in reguards to the health of GMAC. In the past they have been good to me and our RV, But financially, their not as stable as I would like my insurance company to be. I called GEICO and they actually send you off to another insurance agency for RVs. And they were higher. I went with Progressive and have been well satisified with them.
Kvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 08:15 AM   #13
Community Administrator

I recently got three quotes from geico, progressive and gmac. the geico one was half the progressive and gmac ones. I'm going with the geico one.

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 11:58 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I have Geico on 2 cars, Motorcycle and the Motorhome. They are great and as low priced as anyone when I checked last year when we added the MH. Had a mishap and they were all over it, had at least 6 calls that they initiated. My Wife was listed as being with me, and they even called her and asked if she was OK and did she need anything. They even waved my deductible because no one was driving the car that hit my MH (I was towing my toad and it broke loose and hit the MH)!

Their service is above reproach. They even have special adjusters for MHs and they come to you.

On the cars, they have certified dealers that give lifetime guaranty on their work. Their adjusters are located at the dealers. They write them a check and if problems are found during repairs, they approve right then and write another check.