Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2021, 11:08 AM   #1

Generator or no?

Hey Guys,
I'm a newbie and have parked here for a while trying to learn. Anyway...I am now starting to look at used TT's. One I'm looking at doesn't have a generator. They tell me the appliances run on propane when you have no electric source.
Stupid question...what does that mean? Will that get me through the night if I park somewhere with no hook ups? Should I buy a generator and if so...are they expensive? Do they have to be specially made for TT's? How hard to hook up?
Thanks guys
Homeby5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2021, 11:23 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeby5 View Post
Hey Guys,
I'm a newbie and have parked here for a while trying to learn. Anyway...I am now starting to look at used TT's. One I'm looking at doesn't have a generator. They tell me the appliances run on propane when you have no electric source.
Stupid question...what does that mean? Will that get me through the night if I park somewhere with no hook ups? Should I buy a generator and if so...are they expensive? Do they have to be specially made for TT's? How hard to hook up?
Thanks guys
I thought you bought a 24tt?
PS56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 11:26 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS56 View Post
I thought you bought a 24tt?
Me? No...Been researching for a while but now wife just retired so getting serious.
Old 03-04-2021, 11:27 AM   #4

Mods...I posted this again in the correct forum. Sorry...
Old 03-04-2021, 11:39 AM   #5

Your stove/oven run on propane. Your fridge is likely gas/120v switchable, so will work on propane. Your water heater is propane/120v switchable with 12V control. Your lighting is 12V electric. The system controls are 12V. The slide, the water pump and power awning are 12V. The furnace burns propane but the fan uses 12V. The microwave is 120V. Some televisions are 120V, some 12V. All the 12V stuff can be run for a limited time on battery and you should have no problem overnight if it's a good batt and if you use energy conservation (don't watch TV all night). You will have to recharge at some point. Recharging can be done while towing with many TVs, but not all. Plugged in at a RV park will recharge.
If you're boondocking you will need a good solar setup and/or a generator to recharge.
Old 03-04-2021, 11:52 AM   #6
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
I've had 3 RV's that were dual source (electric & propane). No problem for a night without hookups. Interior lights & your fresh tank water pump will be 12v & run off your batteries. Fridge, stove & water heater will run off your propane tank. You just won't be able to use many (if any) of the 120v AC receptacles without alternative power. Our TV's ran off 12v, but we had inverters for that. Some people have a little Honda generator for those types of circumstances. They're not all that noisy. You just have to know when you will be allowed to use it as some places have restrictions on generators.
There is great need for a sarcasm font.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 11:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeby5 View Post
Me? No...Been researching for a while but now wife just retired so getting serious.
Has someone else have access to your account?

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/shou...tt-477248.html
PS56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 12:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS56 View Post
Has someone else have access to your account?

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/shou...tt-477248.html
That TT fell through. Wife didn't retire until 10 months later.
Old 03-04-2021, 01:43 PM   #9

Gen

I carry 2-Honda EU2000"s in the back of my pickup.

They are light and easy to deal with.

If needed I can parallel them for 4,000 watts.

When more power is needed the Honda EU6500 is brought along in the
"little Creeker" trailer.

C.B.
C.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 02:43 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Trailers rarely come with a generator (A toyhauler type may be an exception). You can carry any brand of style of portable generator in the trailer or tow vehicle and stick it outside to run when needed. However, you mostly shouldn't need it for overnight stops - you can run on propane and battery and onboard water tank for 12-24 hours, as long as you do not need air conditioning. Hopsbrewster covered that pretty well, so I won't repeat.

If you camp without electric for longer periods, a small portable generator works great to recharge batteries each day. Solar panels can help too. Propane tanks should last several days of heavy use and much longer for more limited needs. The biggest limitation on stays without campground hook-ups is waste water - your waste tanks fill quickly and there aren't many options to deal with it.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 02:50 PM   #11

Air conditioning would need a generator if not hooked up to the shore power
Bimmerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 04:21 PM   #12

Consider a battery monitor with shunt so you can see your actual amp flow in/out of the battery and the calculated battery state of charge. With the monitor you can see how different devices put a demand on your 12 volt system and how well you can charge your system from the converter/charger or the tow vehicle.

If you aren't going to be hooked up each night consider upgrading your battery with a pair of 6 volt true deep cycle batteries in series. Some solar will help extend your battery run time and even help cut down on generator run time if you use the generator in the morning to partially recharge your batteries and use solar the rest of the day to top them off.

If you decide you really like camping without plug in power consider LiFePO4 batteries and even more solar.

Start small with the battery monitor, learn about your trailer power usage so you can make better decisions down the road.

https://invertersrus.com/product/victron-smartshunt/

The VE Smartshunt uses an app on your phone called VictronConnect to setup and display battery SOC, current and other data.
Old 03-04-2021, 07:18 PM   #13

The real gotcha will be when you need to run the propane furnace and the blower motor kills your batteries before the sun comes up.
Old 03-04-2021, 08:38 PM   #14

With no generator you will be without AC and Microwave at least. In our trailer our coffeemaker is a Keurig so that wouldn't work either.

Tags
generator