Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2021, 01:56 PM   #1

Generator shutting off

Been chasing this issue for a few years now. In short on a 98 degree day our on an genie turns off after 30 min. It has new factory pump and filter, I've moved fuel line farther a way from exhaust pipe, and fuel tank has never been below a 1/4. When it happens. I've watch videos of others with same issue. Oil level is fine. The unit is clean as a whistle. Im considering putting in another inline low pressure fuel pump with a manuel switch and turn it in when it happens. As you might know it would be before existing fuel pump. So what's do you think? Im convinc6 its s fuel issue. 2014 Thor ACE 30.1
4000 series cummins onan
Quickuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2021, 03:46 PM   #2

Is the gas cap vented? In high temp situation, the gas fumes may be expanding in the tank causing a vacuum lock. The vent may be plugged. You can try palcing the cap in a container of Seafoam. It may dissolve what ever is casing the blockage.
glwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 04:41 AM   #3

Does this happen on cooler days? Does it happen when moving, parked, or both? Onan has very specific requirements about free air opening sizes and air flow requirements. Movement could interfere with air flow and cooling, especially if it's 98º.

Has it happened when the gas tank is full or nearly full? Most generator pick up tubes don't go to 1/4 tank, you could be simply running out of gas.

When it stalls what do you do to restart it? Does it have to sit for half an hour, that could indicate over heating or another problem where it shuts down because of a fault. Will it restart right away, how does it run when it's first restarted?

Have you checked the fuel line back to the tank for leaks? If you think this is a fuel problem and it takes half an hour to show up it could be a tiny crack. As it already has a second pump and it happens if you're stationary try running it from a different fuel source to see what happens.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 05:21 AM   #4

I seem to remember this as a known issue with the ACE. Had to do with lack of air flow. Some folks put compartment door louvers in. You might try leaving the compartment door open and see what happens.

Also might want to search the Thor forum here on IRV2.

What error code is it throwing after it quits?
Old 06-06-2021, 05:31 AM   #5

I had a 30.1 4 years ago. Same problem. I bought the generator compartment door vent made especially for the Onan 4000. It forces the incoming fresh air to cool to be pulled from the side of the door instead of from under the door where the hot air from the engine and exhaust are. I got the vent from a Forest River dealer. Notice the rubber boot that mounts in the door to seal around the fresh air intake on the generator. Thor is aware of the problem but would not help. Mine did it especially when parked on hot asphalt.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E54BFE92-C19D-42F3-BD14-5B1AD5E7FA62.jpeg
Views:	33
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	331014   Click image for larger version

Name:	1537ABE8-3132-4305-8075-7CAD15A6F0C8.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	166.4 KB
ID:	331015  

Old 06-06-2021, 06:29 AM   #6

Ill look at camp, its a locking cap, pretty sure its vented.
Quickuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 07:13 AM   #7

I would retrieve the codes from the start stop switch.
carl.swoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 08:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickuc View Post
Ill look at camp, its a locking cap, pretty sure its vented.
The cap can't be vented, emissions laws, fumes have to be collected in the EVAP canister. The PCM will set a code even if the gas fill cap isn't tight.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 10:18 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Following.
Old 06-06-2021, 10:52 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argosy View Post
The cap can't be vented, emissions laws, fumes have to be collected in the EVAP canister. The PCM will set a code even if the gas fill cap isn't tight.

Evaporative emissions have to be captured, but that doesn't mean no venting. Air has to be able to come in, but vapors are not allowed to escape. A check valve, in other words.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 11:06 AM   #11

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quickuc..I had the same issues on my 7500...but you haven't mentioned that you have changed out the Air Cleaner Filter or when's the last time you changed out the coolant? These Genies don't like old coolant & should be changed out about every 3 years (per Cummins/Onan) as I leaned the expensive hard way from Cummins/Onan service (new radiator..thermostat..& so on) which had I known better could've done myself had I known the problem or better yet a PM on it more that just changing the oil & filter..fuel filter..air filter.
groveln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 11:44 AM   #12

Most common problem with the Onan 4000 is a gummed up carb from sitting more than 3-4 weeks with no run time, old gas etc.
I have even seen this on newer units. Sometimes they sit on the sales floor with no frequent starting to flush out the carb. Causes hard start and your stalling issue quite often.
Most common fix is to just replace the carb. They are such poor quality, that no one rebuilds them.

Best thing you can do for an Onan is to run them very often and keep fresh tier one gas in your tank.

There is also a wired issue with the oil dipstick registering improper oil fill. If there is too much oil or too little, it will shut down. High temps make the oil expand and can trigger that shutdown if slightly over full. You can always try to lower the oil level just a bit. It’s a low cost diagnostic check.

Betting your carb is gummed up though.

Just some general ideas from messing with these things over the years.
Hope you find your problem.
Old 06-06-2021, 11:53 AM   #13

Are you sure it's a fuel problem? Ignitions can break down under heat.
Old 06-06-2021, 11:53 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I has the same issue with my 8000. It was the temp sensor.
Like someone else said run the codes and I think mine kept coming up 33.
After replacing I came through the Cal desert last summer, the temp was 120 and it did fine.
Let us know what you find.
Good luck
JW
kwittintime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator