Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2021, 10:29 AM   #57

Is this new Orange 3600si
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlesland View Post
We use a Generac 3000 generator. It will run one AC and is very quiet.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2021, 10:49 AM   #58

It’s orange but it’s the 3300 , weighs 60 lbs. it powers my 15,500 watt ac unit
Bags4266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 10:50 AM   #59

It’s orange but it’s the 3300 , weighs 60 lbs. it powers my 15,500 watt ac unit
Bags4266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 11:06 AM   #60

I have the 4375 and used it to power both of my AC's with one caveat - the breakers for each circuit are 13.5 Amp so I was only able to power one AC off of each circuit at a time. My second AC is a portable dual duct unit, so I ran it from an extension cord going to the generator while the primary AC ran on shore power.
nelmstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 01:15 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP7 View Post
https://www.harborfreight.com/genera...iii-63962.html

Anyone have one of these Harbor freight Generators for running your AC

My AC specs say minimum 3500 watt generator

Think this will be 4375 /3500 (100lbs) will work good ?

Or should I get the next size bigger 6500/5500 watt that weights more 180 lbs
https://www.harborfreight.com/genera...arb-63964.html
Unless you want to replace about everything electronic in your trailer, including you cell phones when you charge them, you need to buy an INVERTER generator.
Today's electronics are delicate and need a steady power source which you can only insure you have with a inverter generator. Plus they are much quieter.
mike5511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 01:33 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike5511 View Post
Unless you want to replace about everything electronic in your trailer, including you cell phones when you charge them, you need to buy an INVERTER generator.

Today's electronics are delicate and need a steady power source which you can only insure you have with a inverter generator. Plus they are much quieter.
Most motorhome generators are NOT inverter type generators.
They are the same constant speed, rotating, units as the large cheap ones.
They don't burn up sensitive electronics.

What burns up electronics are Modified Sine Wave inverters. They run off batteries.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 11:43 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Most motorhome generators are NOT inverter type generators.
They are the same constant speed, rotating, units as the large cheap ones.
They don't burn up sensitive electronics.

What burns up electronics are Modified Sine Wave inverters. They run off batteries.
You are right. They are not. They are also not cheap construction generators either. We learned a lot about generators several years ago when the electricity was out for over a week. Those construction generators fried all the new type refrigerators with the little electronic panel on the front, flat screen TVs, computers. But hey, I'm not a electrician, but I know what I was told by those who are. FWIW.
mike5511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 12:21 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike5511 View Post
You are right. They are not. They are also not cheap construction generators either. We learned a lot about generators several years ago when the electricity was out for over a week. Those construction generators fried all the new type refrigerators with the little electronic panel on the front, flat screen TVs, computers. But hey, I'm not a electrician, but I know what I was told by those who are. FWIW.
https://www.rvtravel.com/rv-electric...ator-clean-ac/
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 06:52 AM   #65

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTegarini View Post
In my opinion, there are quality generators that are far quieter than open frame generators, certainly quieter than Harbor Fright. Dry camping along the coast in a camp ground, it seems the loudest, most obnoxious generators are brands like Harbor Freight. It’s interesting that people spend tens of thousands for motorhomes, trailers, fifth-wheels and tow vehicles, then go ‘cheap’ and buy a $300 generator with no consideration on just how loud they are and how it impacts the campground. Buy the ‘i’ version of a Honda, a Generac or Yamaha. More money in the short term but far quieter and more dependable after a lot of use. You get what you pay for… and so does your camping neighbors. -RT
It really pi$$e$ me off when someone chimes in that is absolutely clueless.
"it seems the loudest, most obnoxious generators are brands like Harbor Freight" is pure Bullsnot. Honda makes some pretty loud open frame generators also.

I OWN a Harbor Freight 3500 Predator. Our campgrounds are full of them, maybe as much as 50%. They are AS QUIET as a Honda-Yamaha inverter for the same size.

"More money in the short term but far quieter and more dependable after a lot of use." It's the "far quieter" part I object to. Complete BS.

For the most part I try to stay away from Harbor Freight products. Their tools are the lowest quality on Earth but for the most part they'll last my DIY lifetime. The Predator isn't typical of the HF line. It's a big hit with our boondocking crowd. It's reliable, has almost a cult following, simple to work on and parts are readily available. I don't know about service as I do my own work but I can't imagine a hardware store / small engine shop that would turn away making a dollar on service.

Weigh your options, get the features important to you, but don't slam a product you know nothing about.

Respectfully,
- bob
cbr46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 08:52 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr46 View Post
It really pi$$e$ me off when someone chimes in that is absolutely clueless.
"it seems the loudest, most obnoxious generators are brands like Harbor Freight" is pure Bullsnot. Honda makes some pretty loud open frame generators also.

I OWN a Harbor Freight 3500 Predator. Our campgrounds are full of them, maybe as much as 50%. They are AS QUIET as a Honda-Yamaha inverter for the same size.

"More money in the short term but far quieter and more dependable after a lot of use." It's the "far quieter" part I object to. Complete BS.

For the most part I try to stay away from Harbor Freight products. Their tools are the lowest quality on Earth but for the most part they'll last my DIY lifetime. The Predator isn't typical of the HF line. It's a big hit with our boondocking crowd. It's reliable, has almost a cult following, simple to work on and parts are readily available. I don't know about service as I do my own work but I can't imagine a hardware store / small engine shop that would turn away making a dollar on service.

Weigh your options, get the features important to you, but don't slam a product you know nothing about.

Respectfully,
- bob
I agree, we purchased a E-trailer 2K inverter unit and it coupled with our soft start AC module works great. I use full synthetic oil and only non-ethanol fuel. I also purchased both of the high altitude carb jet kits for it should we decide to stay in the the mountains.
GIjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 09:08 AM   #67

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got one of these Westinghouse inverter generators, rated 3700, 4500 peak.
I have not used it yet but did run it for a test and it ran both compressors on my basement ac. It is a bit louder than I had hoped when under full load but is quieter than my onboard Onan and it starts and runs when I want. It is dual fuel, gas or propane. We will see how it works in a couple of weeks. It has a 30 amp rv outlet.
David 70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 09:45 AM   #68

i have a 3500 Champion, i wouldn't own anything else IF it didn't have the REMOTE START. we boondock a lot and like to watch satellite tv at night mainly the wife. no way in the world am i going to go out and start the gen then wake up and get my clothes on and go out and shut the gen off. the wife can simply just push the little button and all is done. she gets up in the morning and wants to make coffee and use the micro, push the button, priceless!
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 10:25 AM   #69

After studying non- Yamaha or Honda inverter gens for 2+ years

I'm with #16 post. July '20 bought a Champion open frame inverter generator. 4K/3500 run. Powered my '25 Sunline TT with it when I had it. When inside the TT could barely hear the generator run at all. From 10' away. When I exercise it, the only time it seems loud is when the AC speeds it up. Along with running other items. It's fairly heavy for this old man. ~100 pounds. And the handle sometimes folds when moving it. $656. @ Cabella's with 6% Pa. sales tax and Veteran's discount. Love it. (installed a 12 volt hour meter on the battery charge line) Remote start- whoopie! The Champion is engineered better than my HD Ridgid 5700 inverter generator which is so loud, installing a muffler did NOTHING. The Yamaha engine is louder than the exhaust! The wheel mounts broke, had to be welded. The front snubbers disintegrated. ETC.
Including a info file here. Sam G.
https://www.championpowerequipment.c...rame-inverter/
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CHAMPION Inverter Generator 07052020.pdf (396.7 KB, 16 views)
homesteader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 05:44 PM   #70

Harbor freight Generators

I have this generator https://www.harborfreight.com/genera...tor-56720.html and it is GREAT very quiet and starts EVERY time with just a push of the button Runs our 15,000 BTU AC with no issue.
tjerram is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, generators