Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2015, 07:07 AM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Get Into US National Parks for Free for a Year!

You can get into US National Parks for free for an entire year and all you need is a 4th grader! Children under 15 get into National Parks for free any time. But now, thanks to the President’s Every Kid in a Park initiative, 4th graders can bring their family along for free during the 2015 to 2016 school year.
Families who are interested will get a free annual pass. Details on how to get passes have not been released yet. Watch for a press release, or you can check on Google.
This is a great excuse to plan a family or school trip to incredible places like Yosemite, Yellowstone, and Mount Rushmore.

Or, you can rent your kid out to the Grandparents!

Don’t Have a 4th Grader?
You can still get into US National Parks for free in 2015 on these dates:
April 18 to 19 (National Park Week opening weekend)
August 25 (National Park Service 100th anniversary!)
September 26 (National Public Lands day)
November 11 (Veterans Day)
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2015, 08:15 AM   #2

Wow...timing is everything...my 8 year old will be attending 4th grade this September. Guess that helps plan out our cross country trip next summer!
romkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 08:21 AM   #3

There is nothing on the NPS website concerning kids get in free all year, only for the free weekends they've had for years. The 2015/2016 school year does not begin until Aug. does it? Until the NPS says it is so, I'll refrain from getting my plans ready.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 06:01 AM   #4

Actually Ray, there is...

From Nationalparks.org:

To help engage and create our next generation of park visitors, supporters and advocates, we are kicking off the Every Kid in a Park initiative. The immediate goal is to provide an opportunity for each and every 4th grade student across the country to experience their public lands and waters in person throughout the 2015-2016 school year.

Soon, you will have access to your own Every Kid in a Park pass. This pass will give you free access to national parks, national forests, national wildlife refuges, and more!

The Every Kid in a Park pass will be available for the 2015-2016 school year.

Every Kid in a Park joins the Foundation's Open Outdoors for Kids program in helping children learn history, culture, and science while exploring the great outdoors. The initiative is an administration-wide effort among the National Park Service, Forest Service, Department of Education, Army Corps of Engineers, Bureau of Land Management, Fish and Wildlife Service, Bureau of Reclamation, and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:53 AM   #5

Looks like it's time to plan a trip with the grand kids this summer. It sucks to be us being forced to take the grand children on a road trip. ::::
usplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 10:06 AM   #6

Who needs the grandkids; If you are over 62, you can get a 'Senior pass' ($10) which gets you into all NP for $0, also 50% off on camping at NP and most federal sites (USFS, BLM, ACOE, etc). U.S. National Park ServiceAmerica the Beautiful – The National Parks and Federal Recreation Lands Pass Series Best 10 bucks I ever spent.
Newly retired: Senior pass is the (second) best thing, after not having to go to work!
Enjoy our national parks!
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 01:06 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzbill View Post
Who needs the grandkids; If you are over 62, you can get a 'Senior pass' ($10) which gets you into all NP for $0, also 50% off on camping at NP and most federal sites (USFS, BLM, ACOE, etc). U.S. National Park ServiceAmerica the Beautiful – The National Parks and Federal Recreation Lands Pass Series Best 10 bucks I ever spent.
Newly retired: Senior pass is the (second) best thing, after not having to go to work!
You Betcha!
Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 02:06 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

"Every Kid in a Park," but only 4th graders? I guess it's just "Some Kids in a Park."
Old 03-01-2015, 06:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by romkey View Post
Actually Ray, there is...

From Nationalparks.org:

To help engage and create our next generation of park visitors, supporters and advocates, we are kicking off the Every Kid in a Park initiative. The immediate goal is to provide an opportunity for each and every 4th grade student across the country to experience their public lands and waters in person throughout the 2015-2016 school year.

Soon, you will have access to your own Every Kid in a Park pass. This pass will give you free access to national parks, national forests, national wildlife refuges, and more!

The Every Kid in a Park pass will be available for the 2015-2016 school year.

Every Kid in a Park joins the Foundation's Open Outdoors for Kids program in helping children learn history, culture, and science while exploring the great outdoors. The initiative is an administration-wide effort among the National Park Service, Forest Service, Department of Education, Army Corps of Engineers, Bureau of Land Management, Fish and Wildlife Service, Bureau of Reclamation, and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
Link please. I haven't found what you posted.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 03-01-2015, 07:05 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetonchief View Post
You Betcha!
Got ours. We lived this long might as well take advantage of Senior discounts.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:55 AM   #11

Ray,

Every Kid in a Park | National Park Foundation
Old 03-03-2015, 09:23 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by romkey View Post
Thanks for the link. Now it is clear, this is not for every kid, only 4th graders, 5th and above are out of luck. I didn't overlook the donate button either, the foundation has to get funding after all. That's why I couldn't find any reference to this on the NPS website.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:32 AM   #13

Quote:
Yep, got mine on my birthday when I turned 62. I've used it a lot and the 1/2 off camping fees is a huge bonus!
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
national