Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2005, 03:25 PM   #1
Jim

recently i stopped for gas for my rv in central va...about a week later i received a call from the va local sherif saying i was reported as driving off without paying...i called the gas station and gave them the info from my receipt and they are investigating...if i had not obtained the receipt i don't know how i would be able to defend myself..jim
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2005, 03:25 PM   #2
Jim

recently i stopped for gas for my rv in central va...about a week later i received a call from the va local sherif saying i was reported as driving off without paying...i called the gas station and gave them the info from my receipt and they are investigating...if i had not obtained the receipt i don't know how i would be able to defend myself..jim
Old 05-17-2005, 03:41 PM   #3
doc

Appalachian Campers
Absolutely a 'must'. I have wondered what would happen if one did not get his receipt and then got accused of a drive off. Here in Georgia, you can lose a license for such an offense. We all need to make sure we get our receipt, expecially at the 'pay at the pumps' locations.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 04:37 PM   #4

Must admit I never thought about that possiblity at all. We do keep receipts while on our trips but only for proof if needed at the border, if asked. I will make real sure we get and keep them now.
Old 05-17-2005, 04:40 PM   #5

I always pay at the pump and charge on a credit card. They can take it up with Visa if they have a problem with it.
Ken Lenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 02:44 AM   #6

Ken,

I feel the same as you, but give this issue some thought, it's opened my eyes to a possible big problem for any of us, especially with the way some people act today.

Lets say you inserted your card and the pump LCD reads "begin pumping" and you do so. Say a kwerk takes place in the system and never registers with the credit card company, you finish pumping, don't ask for a receipt and then drive off.

You and I both know, that we have better things in life then to steal gas, right? Well, the people who run the Gas Station probably don't know either of us from whoot, and in the course of doing business and having to deal with all kinds of jerks; when someone drives off and it doesn't register inside and they don't pay, they call the police.

Now, whether innocent or not, we'll have to answer for that indescression one way or another. I would rather have a receipt and prove them wrong, then have to go through a situation like that, that could get real messy.

I always ask for receipts, I'm going to watch this a lot closer. It's the people you have to deal with that can make a mountain out and ant hill that concerns me.

Tomcat F15
Old 05-18-2005, 06:20 AM   #7

We ran into this issue in Denver. We paid for our gas at the pump via credit card, got a receipt, and left. Four blocks later, we were pulled over by a city police officer. Sure was fun (if you have to be stopped) showing the officer the receipt and watching his anger raise as he realized the clerk had made a mistake. Apparently, he had "high-tailed it" to where I was to catch "me."

The officer took my name and number. I got a call from the corporate office of the gas station the next day offering 17 gallons of free gas for their mistake.

Come to find out...the person next to me drove-off without paying and the clerk got confused.

Moral of my story -- I always get a receipt from the pump. I also make sure I get a receipt from the clerk inside - if I pay in there.
Coachmen4rFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 09:40 AM   #8

wow...would've never thought about this in a million years! Good subject...looks like I'll get my receipts from now on!

Thanks!

Sean
WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 10:19 AM   #9

Interesting - I can't remember going to a gas station where you did not have to pay BEFORE you can pump your gas. You mean you all pump first, pay later?

Dave
00 Ford F150
01 Cub 23
aa6vh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 10:30 AM   #10

I remember getting gas and just signing a slip that the attendent would hand you and they would bill you at the end of the month. They also checked the oil and cleaned the windows.
Ken Lenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 12:32 PM   #11

The only place in the contry where it is normal practice to pay before pumping that I have encountered is California. And of course some other large cities that have problems like drive offs.
Chet
Old 05-18-2005, 01:29 PM   #12

Drive offs are common where I live.About a week ago I was at a discount station near my house(cash only,pay after pumping) And a guy took off on $11.00 worth of gas.Camera recorded his plate,what a dope , 11 bucks.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 03:52 PM   #13
Jim

yesterday the sherif called me a second time to see if the matter was resolved and i told him i had no reply...he said he would follow up and today i received an apology from the gas station..i asked how they could make this mistake when they have cameras to record pump activity..he said they didn't have a recording..that i was the first one leaving the lot after they noticed the non-pay and they wrote my number down..i guess one could defend themselves other ways buti believe the info on the receipt saved me a lot of headaches..jim
Old 05-18-2005, 08:53 PM   #14

I had the same experience one time when my familly and I were in Illinois. I paid for the gas at the pump with my bank atm card and left. A few weeks later we got a letter from the District Attorney's office requiring me to respond to a court summons for stealing the gas. I called the DA's office and ended up faxing a copy of my pump receipt and a copy of my bank statement showing the gas station had indeed been paid. I got an appology from the DA's office and the gas station owner.

2002 Chevy 2500HD CC/LB D/A
baddwalk is offline   Reply With Quote