Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2020, 06:11 AM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
When we purchased our MH in Alabama we got a 7 day temp tag from the DMV and drove it back to Florida to get the taxes paid and a FL tag. Not a big deal.

We also sold our Class C to a gent from Texas. We delivered it to him in FL and got a temp tag so he could drive it back to Texas. AGain not a big deal.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2020, 07:18 AM   #16

Haha, Too bad you're not in Florida. No way they will stop you for a tag infraction. Shoot. they don't even enforce speed limits here.
SGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 08:14 AM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
Check with your local DMV, most states offer a 3 / 10 day temporary tag to allow the vehicle to be moved.

Also, if it has tags on it now, see if the owner will allow you to mail the tags back to him after you arrive at home. maybe offer a $100 deposit that hell return when the tags are returned to him.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 08:45 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Contact the local DPS office and see about a temp tag or a travel tag.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 09:08 AM   #19

We bought ours brand new in Alabama. Drove it back to Georgia (across the state) with no tag on it. I even pulled into a gas station and a police officer followed me in the station thinking he was going to ask me about the tag. As I gassed up he went in for coffee, and my wife went in to pay as I pumped it full of fuel. He commented to my wife that it was a nice rig and she commented that we just came arrived from Alabama with it. He made no mention of the tag. We had bill of sale and insurance. You may have just run across a trooper who had a bad attitude or was having a bad day.
boomersooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 09:52 AM   #20

googled it for you

https://revenue.alabama.gov/motor-ve...emporary-tags/
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 11:27 AM   #21
US1

Myself, as I’ve done before l just drive away and not worry about it. I always call my ins agent before I get behind the wheel though to let them know I bought it. On weekends I just leave a message.
Seems over the last decade, trailers don’t need plates or working lights. Cars don’t need lights or windshields that aren’t cracked.

Have you asked to seller f he will leave his plates on and you mail them back? Be no risk for him as you would both have a signed and dated purchase agreement.
Old 02-18-2020, 12:04 PM   #22

I would think that every state gives a specific amount of time allowed to register and tag a vehicle. You should be fine with a bill of sale and, if you paid for it, a signed title.
Old 02-18-2020, 12:16 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransil View Post

"Go right to the source and ask the horse
He'll give you the answer that you'll endorse..."
Old 02-18-2020, 01:36 PM   #24
doc

Appalachian Campers
This guy has no idea what he is talking about. He can get a temp tag and be fine coming through Georgia. If he is wanting to just NOT HAVE a tag then he may have a problem.
With his attitude, if he is stopped he will likely get nailed.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 02:32 PM   #25

Getting It Home

Unless something has changed in NC the past 3 years you do not to get a current inspection to bring a vehicle from another state into NC to register. For me the inspection only had be done before the next annual renewal. If that is still true you could make the purchase and take the paperwork to the nearest NC Tag office, then go back and get your motorhome. That is how it worked for me. Call NCDMV and make sure of what you need to register.
Old 02-18-2020, 02:32 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
This guy has no idea what he is talking about. He can get a temp tag and be fine coming through Georgia. If he is wanting to just NOT HAVE a tag then he may have a problem.
With his attitude, if he is stopped he will likely get nailed.
Well if he’s “talking about” his experience so far, as well as what he’s been told, then I’d say he knows exactly what he’s talking about. That doesn’t make it factual, but my impression is he’s looking for advice based on his experience so far.

I’m with everyone else who has said just ignore at the bureaucratic bs and drive, and register it when he has time, preferably in the next 30 days or so, but if that’s not convenient just date the bill of sale accordingly.

Officer initiated actions are at an incredibly low percentage (single digit) just because of a high demand for service and low levels of staffing. So while it’s possible, crossing paths with that one officer who is interested enough in a motor home tag to initiate any action on it is highly unlikely.

And it’s not a moving violation, so as long as the driver passes the attitude test, and has some documentation showing he didn’t steal it, I don’t see any reason to give it a second thought. Buy it, drive it, register it when you have time. Law enforcement has much more important and demanding stuff to worry about.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 06:37 PM   #27

Since you live in NC you need to stay under their umbrella. Buy the MH, get a dated bill of sale and/or title. Keep proof of insurance with you and drive it home. Go to your local DMV office register it and pay the road use tax, and put your new tag on the MH.
I would ask the prior owner if I could keep his tag for the trip home and mail it back to him.

That is what I did when I bought a MH in Fla and drove it through Ga,SC and then into NC.
I don't know what any Officer in Ga might do, but you would be legal in NC that way, and Ga should honor the reciprocal agreement and let you drive through their state.
I really doubt you would get stopped, much less ticketed.
crb478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 10:45 PM   #28

Damon Owners Club
I think every state as "temp tags" or "permit" I would contact NC and ask them how to get your new purchase home.
hawkeye1995 is offline   Reply With Quote