Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2020, 05:48 PM   #1

Getting It Home

How on earth do you get a motor home you bought from an individual home? I found one I liked, agreed on the price, and ready to go, but the bad news is I can't drive it back to the town in Georgia I am working in without a tag. I am a resident of NC, and from what the really obnoxious Georgia State Trooper I talked to on the phone told me the only way to proceed is to tow the motor home from Alabama to NC, get it tagged inspected and taxed there, then I can drive it back to GA without "Gettin' my a$$ a ticket" Holy cow I know that there have been movies about the cops in this state, but I really thought that was 60-70's Hollywood, but apparently nastiness is alive and well here in the Peach State. Anyway, how did any of you deal with getting a rig you bought from an individual home?
EricM1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2020, 06:02 PM   #2

Can't get a Trip Permit?
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 06:11 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Drive it home with all your paperwork from the purchase and insurance. Get it tagged in North Carolina and then take it to Georgia. Georgia Troopers have no idea what Alabama and North Carolina laws are about registrations.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 06:19 PM   #4

I would get insurance on it, put a tag from another vehicle on it and drive it home. If I got stopped, I would be ready to show the title and respectfully explain what I was doing. If I got a ticket, I would be ok with that. After all, it is not a moving violation and will carry no insurance points. You are highly unlikely to get stopped...
SlowJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 06:21 PM   #5

Guy in the CG I'm in now lives in Wisconsin, bought a car in Florida, using it in Alabama and will re register in Wisconsin when he gets home.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 06:28 PM   #6

Live in Texas, bought mine in Oklahome from an individual. Got insurance and a temporary Texas tag to take it home.
That was a few years ago.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:37 PM   #7

To the question concerning a travel tag. Apparently not. I have pretty much decided that with the Honda Element being towed, the odds of the lack of tag being noticed is minimal, and as stated by another respondent it isn't a moving/speeding ticket so to heck with worrying about it.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:48 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Tell your insurance company you brought it, go get it and drive it home. Purchased mine from a private owner in Oregon, drove it home to Oklahoma. live dangerously!
engine103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 07:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by engine103 View Post
Tell your insurance company you brought it, go get it and drive it home. Purchased mine from a private owner in Oregon, drove it home to Oklahoma. live dangerously!
I agree, screw it.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:48 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I've driven without tags, expired tags and the wrong tags and never been pulled over. Still have the previous owner tag on my car trailer because it is a "permanent" plate. The money I've saved not retagging it every flipping year will pay for any ticket I may get. Drive the speed limit, use your signals and smile when you drive past a cop. They generally have more important business than harassing retirees in RVs.
Old 02-18-2020, 12:10 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricM1963 View Post
I agree, screw it.
Precisely. Ive made a few out of state purchase, including my first coach, present coach, a few boats on trailers, and most recently an equipment trailer, and never worried about tags. I just get around to it when I’m ready and it’s never been a problem.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 02:46 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Bought a MH in Illinois a few years ago. No big deal, went to their DMV and got a 10 day trip permit then drove it home to Montana and registered it.
gonecampin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 04:40 AM   #13

Our dealer will get us transport tags. Once home, we'll transfer the tags from our trade in to the new coach.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 05:59 AM   #14

I did one in Ohio to Pa $ 10 got me a 3 day temporary tag from Ohio. Did you check the state you are buying in?
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote