Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2023, 06:00 PM   #1

Getting started (overwhelming!)

I expect to retire in 5-8 years, and one of the things I would like to do more in retirement is travel at our own pace, so we always meant to check out RVs as one more thing to do in retirement.

We would travel during the nice season and a few weeks/months at a time. We
are avid hikers and nature lovers, so we always thought that a huge motorcoach would likely be too big to go places we'd like (e.g. National Parks) and probably not in our budget anyway.

So right now we're thinking either a self-propelled camper van (Class B/B+ I think?) or a camper trailer and a vehicle to tow it.

Since we would likely leave the camper and go explore national parks, etc... we're currently leaning towards the trailer, so that you can detach it and use the towing vehicle to visit places or grab pizza in town. It might also make sense budget-wise because that vehicle could also be our (or one of our) day-to-day vehicles when we're not traveling. My main concern here is that we're not truck people, so that would likely rule out 5th wheel trailers, and you run very quickly into weight limits if you don't have a truck.

So early thinking, I'll need a new car in the next 3 years anyway, so I could get a mid-size SUV with a towing capacity of around 5000lbs (e.g Nissan PathFinder, Kia Telluride, Honda Passport...). It seems that prices shoot up a lot as soon as you try to get well above 5000lbs towing.

So I'm looking at what the options are for trailers in that weight range. We got to see a Rockwood Geo Pro G19FBS at a show. I think I'd like something a little more comfortable if not luxurious though. While we liked the idea of not having a cramped dinette, the couch still felt like foam blocks on a wood box for example. But the overall size/idea seemed like we were on the right track.

We will try to visit dealers/shows, rent or borrow, etc... to get a sense of whether we'd be happy with that kind of combo, but again we're trying to identify the supposed sweet spot for us, then we can see if we're right.

I'd love to get thoughts from the community, are we barking up the right tree? are there slightly more luxurious brands/models in that 17-22 <500lbs trailer?

Just from visiting this one show, there are a couple of things that are standing out for us:

- bed must be queen or wider
- I hate the idea of one person having to crawl over the other, so orientation will likely be important.
- some of those mattresses are absolute crap, do you have to basically buy your own mattress? (and are they regular size?)
- we don't want a bed that you "build" every night, e.g. by breaking down the dinette into a bed. Someone mentioned that some beds are murphy beds, even that doesn't sounds appealing. I like the idea to sprawl on the bed with a book at any time, so I'm guessing we want a model with "permanent" bed

- dinettes felt uncomfortable and cramped in most trailers although the ones that had only 2-sides rather than a U-shape seemed more comfortable. I saw a photo of a Casitas trailer that had actual armchairs instead of a padded bench, and that sounds good. A real couch and movable table could possibly be appealing too.

- I was amazed at the size/amenities of many of the bathrooms. I expected to get the toilet seat wet when you take a shower, but now I'm expecting more!

- we'd like to take 2 kayaks. Probably another reason to tow a trailer: you can put the kayaks on an SUV rack and drive from the camp to the lake if they are not next to each other.
- we'd like to take bikes too! I saw one trailer advertised with a kayak rack, so I wonder if we would have the kayaks on the trailer and the bike on the car roof. Or maybe we switch to inflatable kayaks.
- that would be the #1 reason that would tempt me into getting a 5th wheeler with a toy-hauling section, but I just don't think it's in the budget, and I don't want a truck the rest of the time.
TentsNoMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2023, 06:22 PM   #2

It looks like a KODIAK CUB 199RK could come close to meeting some of my specs above (is it too close to 5000lbs?). I really like how you can access all around the bed (funny the brochure for Kodiak Cub says a King bed in every floor plan, but it 60x74, which is a short Queen)
Old 01-08-2023, 06:53 PM   #3

We had a motorhome our first year I camped with my wife. The following year I sold it to get a travel trailer. The motorhome was great for long distance travel (comfort wise) but once we got to our camp area, I NEVER wanted to pack up camp to go sight seeing or the store.

I already had a truck, so the expense was minimal and this make sense for us. Much better for us because we can run to the lake, go hiking, meet up with others, ect in the truck.

As for the mattress, we went on camping worlds website and bought a $80 three inch mattress topper. Holy cow what a difference. I will never sleep on the factory mattress again lol also being over 6 ft tall, a queen short bed works but is not perfect. Hope this helps.

Also if you will be traveling for more than a couple hours here or there and want to use the camper bathroom. If you have a slide, make sure you have access to the bathroom when the slide is in! Some models prevent this access while traveling.
Duster73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 07:14 PM   #4

This online towing calculator will accurately and impartially match a tow vehicle and trailer.
This means you can ignore salespeoples drivel for both a tow vehicle and a trailer.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 08:29 PM   #5

It looks like the Forest River R-POD 196 has walk-around bed and a slide couch instead of a dinette.
Old 01-08-2023, 09:18 PM   #6

Be aware that some manufacturer's weights are for base models BEFORE options and these are dry weights. Add propane, water, options, and all your stuff to that figure. Even the kayaks on the tow vehicle count.

You can certainly tow right up to your maximum weight, but be aware the closer you are to that max, the more you'll have to pay attention on hills. I towed a trailer all over the southwest that was at my vehicle's maximum capacity, and it was fine as long as I didn't try to make the rig do anything it didn't want to, such as trying to push it to go faster uphill or in headwinds. My rig set the pace and I listened.

I've owned just about every type or RV except a 5th wheel, and every single one had some kinds of trade-offs. Since this will be your first RV, you may find out that all the planning in the world may not work in the long term. As you gain experience, you'll learn what you like and don't. If you are lucky, and accept some compromises, you may be fine the first try. Each person is different.

You are correct in that a smaller rig will get you in more places. Many state parks and older campgrounds have a limit under 30'. You can fudge in some, as some sites are bigger than others, but it's a crap shoot. Vans will get you in the most places, but of course, the compromise is space and the fact you need to stow things every time you want to use it as a regular vehicle.

We've been full timing in a large Class A for over two and a half years, and while we've had to pass over staying in some nice campgrounds, I can't say our size has been much of a limit, experience-wise. Even if we need to camp outside of a park, we can still drive in with the car. I've done a number of hikes where I've driven the car to get there from a home base. Even a 20 mile drive isn't that far if the destination was good. Some of my favorite hikes in the southwest weren't even near a campground. One of our first slot canyons was 25 miles down a gravel road.

You are correct about seats, beds, and benches feeling cheap. That's where manufacturers save on weight. We found for the bed, a mattress topper helped a lot, and didn't add much weight. A better mattress is certainly an option but it will add some lbs.

One thing to consider between now and then, is renting one of the RVs you are considering. There are people who rent out their stuff so you have access to quite a variety to chose from.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 10:45 PM   #7

Definitely consider purchasing a tow vehicle that allows for some wiggle room with weight capacity.

Towing with an undersized tow vehicle won't be enjoyable at all. I've seen a lot of buyers remorse over the years from folks who under estimate the size of their tow vehicle.

Good luck as you continue planning and researching.

Sent from my SM-N981U using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 10:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TentsNoMore View Post
...... so we always thought that a huge motorcoach would likely be too big to go places we'd like (e.g. National Parks) and probably not in our budget anyway.

Welcome too the forum.

Thank's for the laugh. Who writes you material?

In the first sentence, you start with 'I' and then go to 'we'.

I completely agree with you logic. We were working in China when we decided to retire. No house, no car, and furniture is storage with 30 days to figure it out.

There was a RV dealer across from the hotel back in the US, I found a great 19' TT. DW wife looked in and walked away.

This is the woman that I could not keep up with hiking to Vernal Falls in Yosemite when she was 6 months fertile. Who slept in the V-berth of my sailboat. Who tent camped with the boys.

And it was just temporary until we found a place to live.

It was not until we got to a 32' MH where she could walk on both sides of the bed did 'we' find something she liked. Traveling at our on pace enjoying the outdoors turned out not to be temporary, end up being full time.

Step 1, find a floor plan she likes.

Size matters if you want her to spend more time in it as a retired person. You can drive to places you hike in the truck you tow with or the car you tow with your MH.

Size does not matter when you are looking for to park. It is a big country.

Step 2, budget. Pay cash!

I have heard people say that owning an RV or boat is expensive. They are wrong. Yes it can be expensive or you can save lots of money. The Conrad in Hong Kong, Macao or Singapore are expressive but it was for a few days.

Love my boat and MH. I have heard there are places where I might not meet there standards. Pay cash and keep enough in the bank for a major repair, then you can go and stay where you can afford on your monthly income.
Old 01-09-2023, 03:23 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Not to be rude, but if you want to tow safely, you might want to become “truck people”. I don’t think you are considering the “80% rule”. A vehicle that is rated to tow 5,000# is best used at 4,000# or less. This builds in a safety margin for yourself and those on the road with you. Also, consider the tow vehicle’s max payload. Don’t forget to include the weight of full fuel, all folks, pets, kayaks and other stuff before determining how much room you have left for tongue weight. CAT scales are your friend here. Also, don’t use “book weights”, look at the stickers on the specific tow vehicle and trailer you are considering.

Lastly, consider that after a year or so in a smaller trailer you may want to move up to a somewhat larger trailer. You will need a new tow vehicle if you initially go with a mid sized SUV. Even a full sized, frame based, SUV will max out pretty fast. I know this is not what you want to hear, but IMHO, it’s good advice. Also, understand that most car dealers have no idea how to properly size a vehicle for towing and most RV salesmen will tell you a Fiat 500 can pull a 40’ 5th wheel if it will get you to buy it. You are responsible for the safety of your rig, period.
Shutterbug57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 05:37 AM   #10

We started out small 10 years ago with a 32 foot DP with no slides. It did well pulling our toad but the we quickly grew tired of the limited space. So at the insistence of DW, we went with a 40 foot DP with slides and haven’t looked back.
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 06:09 AM   #11

Go rent a motorhome for a weeks vacation. Or maybe you can rent a tow vehicle and a TT. At any rate don't buy until you know what you want. RVing is always a compromise and it's not the lifestyle for everyone. If you can't find a rental and still want to give it a try, buy used, from a private party, on sale. There are still good deals out there but it does take some diligence and flexibility on your part to find a unit that will work. BTW, it's unlikely you'll find a TT that fits your desires that you can comfortably tow with a tow vehicle that has a 5000# tow rating.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 06:25 AM   #12

If it were me I would go the B+ route and get a light toad.
SteveJ. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 06:44 AM   #13

Welcome to the group. You picked a great place to get an education and learn from the mistakes of others. Your requests are pretty good too, there has been more thought and consideration than some new posters.
First off, change the vehicle to a pickup. Something with at least 7000 tow and 1500 payload. That will handle a trailer with the space to meet your requirements. It will also carry the boats on a ladder rack, the bikes in the bed and other stuff you have not yet considered like a generator, firewood, etc.
Second, don't buy new, as the chance of getting the trailer right on the first try are small and these things depreciate like mad the first few years. So many people buy a trailer then use it less than 10 days a year. We found a 5 year old trailer that never was even showered in.
Renting to get an idea of minimum space is a good idea. If you are not comfortable in a 23-25 foot space change the truck to 3/4 ton. But there is a good chance you can find what you want in the smaller size.
Don't sweat uncomfortable mattresses or cushions. An aftermarket foam mattress that was too firm ended up just right with a walmart topper. The dinette that was uncomfortable after an hour was great once we zipped open the cushions and put in better foam.
Start learning about trailer construction. Aluminum frames vs wood, tin siding vs azdel, floor construction, roof construction, slide or no slide, leaf spring or torsion bar axle.
In spite of too many of us out there competing for a campground this is still a wonderful activity and you will meet some great people. Like life there will be good times and bad, how you deal with them will determine how much you enjoy the activity. But since you enjoy nature this is good way to roll. Nothing like a flock of wild turkeys greeting you in the morning at Little Pine State Park, PA or the famous mooching ponies at Assateague MD. So many places to go and things to do!
MCCOHENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 07:12 AM   #14

Lightbulb

A few years before we retired, we visited many RV dealers & shows local to us. We planned on buying used, so we figured the new stuff we looked at would be 3-4 yrs old when we went shopping. We really got tired of sales staff telling us: " NOW is the time to buy".

The phrase: " Buy your first RV , so the 2nd RV will be what you like" was true for us. After a few yrs of looking , we bought a 5 yr old 39 ft Keystone toyhauler (Goldwing motorcycle). After 5.5 months of full time we learned it was the wrong RV for us.

As the Toy hauler was in for repair work, I suggested we look at used RV on the lot to kill time. We walked into a 1 year old used Grand Design Solitude. About the 3rd happy "oh my" from my wife I knew we were replacing the toyhauler and leaving the motorcycle home while we traveled. We are very happy with the Solitude. Minimum fixes required on it so far.