Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2020, 07:14 PM   #1

GFCI at Storage keeps tripping

I plug my rig in (inside by itself) with everything off except the battery charger and fridge.

Without using an extension cord I plug the rig into a 15 amp (maybe 20) GFCI and watch everything work for 10 minutes.

The fridge is working. The batts are charging.

The next day I come back and the GFCI is tripped. No rain made its way in.

I hit reset and everything is back to working.

Any ideas? Is a criminal breaking in and hitting "Test" on the GFCI??

Thanks!!
Keith55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2020, 09:55 PM   #2

It is likely the heating element on the fridge that is the culprit. Won't happen right away (after 10 minutes) is the big clue. As element heats up, it expands slightly, an internal defect is connecting neutral to ground. And since this is downstream of gfci, this is also the very scenario that many Gucci look for. Voltage on ground. The other method, btw, is loss of current balance between hot and neutral.

How to tell for sure?
Switch fridge to gas. If element is at fault, then running on propane will not energize the event and gfci holds.

Turn off breaker to your converter / battery charger. If not energized, can't leak

If you still have gfci tripping, unplug 120vac cord behind it and repeat. Now the fridge is isolated from gfci.

If you are *still* tripping gfci, then unplug charger. Same reason as above.

And IF STILL tripping, then leakage between neutral and ground are occuring somewhere else. Note I said neutral and ground, not device turned on and leaking to ground since everything is turned off.

AND IF YOU ARE STILL TRIPPING then there are other issues at play. Simplest is worn out GFCI. Most dangerous is a hot skin.
Krbjmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 05:34 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
With refrigerators being the most common cause of RV fires I would not keep it running in storage.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 06:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
With refrigerators being the most common cause of RV fires I would not keep it running in storage.
Wondering, are the fires more common on gas or electric.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 06:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
Except they're not. Engine fires are the most common cause of RV fires. Another Interweb rumor squashed.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 08:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfryman View Post
Except they're not. Engine fires are the most common cause of RV fires. Another Interweb rumor squashed.
Oh, darn.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 08:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krbjmpr View Post
It is likely the heating element on the fridge that is the culprit. Won't happen right away (after 10 minutes) is the big clue. As element heats up, it expands slightly, an internal defect is connecting neutral to ground. And since this is downstream of gfci, this is also the very scenario that many Gucci look for. Voltage on ground. The other method, btw, is loss of current balance between hot and neutral.

How to tell for sure?
Switch fridge to gas. If element is at fault, then running on propane will not energize the event and gfci holds.

Turn off breaker to your converter / battery charger. If not energized, can't leak

If you still have gfci tripping, unplug 120vac cord behind it and repeat. Now the fridge is isolated from gfci.

If you are *still* tripping gfci, then unplug charger. Same reason as above.

And IF STILL tripping, then leakage between neutral and ground are occuring somewhere else. Note I said neutral and ground, not device turned on and leaking to ground since everything is turned off.

AND IF YOU ARE STILL TRIPPING then there are other issues at play. Simplest is worn out GFCI. Most dangerous is a hot skin.
Thank you - Lots to chew on here.

It is a residential refrigerator so I feel comfortable leaving it run in storage.

Interestingly, I went in this morning and turned off everything at the breaker except the refer. It wouldn't run. I turned the inverter on and it turned right on.

I'll see in a few hours if it kept running.

It is a new storage facility - literally just finished a few months ago so the GFCI is new. I'll take a tester over and see if it was wired correctly.
Keith55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 08:57 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith55 View Post
Thank you - Lots to chew on here.

It is a residential refrigerator so I feel comfortable leaving it run in storage.

Interestingly, I went in this morning and turned off everything at the breaker except the refer. It wouldn't run. I turned the inverter on and it turned right on.

I'll see in a few hours if it kept running.

It is a new storage facility - literally just finished a few months ago so the GFCI is new. I'll take a tester over and see if it was wired correctly.

Nothing unusual about the inverter. A residential fridge is wired thru the inverter to provide power when off-grid. If you turned off the breaker that feeds the inverter/charger, it no longer has any external power to pass through to the fridge. If the invert function is also turned off, no power to fridge.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 04:05 PM   #9

Good suggestions posted above. Heating elements often cause ground faults.

GFI's generally do not measure current to ground. If fact they may be installed on circuits that do not have a ground.

Disconnecting things to locate a ground fault requires disconnecting both the hot and neutral wire. Unplugging things works well.

Circuit breakers only disconnect the hot. Neutral stays connected. Wall or other switches do the same. Neutral must be disconnected as well to troubleshoot such circuits.

The ground fault may be in a circuit that is "turned off". It will still trip the GFI.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 08:15 PM   #10

Krbjmpr
The internal heaters that reduce condensation are 12V, it makes no difference if the fridge is running on 120VAC or LP.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 08:24 PM   #11

Just takes one crossed wire to trip a GFCI outlet. Went for three years in our coach before we realized a 120v exhaust fan was wired wrong - found out when it tripped the first GFCI we plugged into. It was connected with a hot and ground - no neutral.

Have you plugged an outlet tester into the outlets you have on to see if there are any problems?
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 05:57 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Krbjmpr
The internal heaters that reduce condensation are 12V, it makes no difference if the fridge is running on 120VAC or LP.

You are correct, an RV fridge door heaters are 12v. These won't cause a Gucci to trip however. But they will blow fuses, and occasionally will act as a fuse and open up before the fuse blows.

OP has stated that his fridge is a residential unit. So it's heaters, particularly with through door ice / water, will be 120vac.
Old 09-27-2020, 06:09 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post
Good suggestions posted above. Heating elements often cause ground faults.

GFI's generally do not measure current to ground. If fact they may be installed on circuits that do not have a ground.

Disconnecting things to locate a ground fault requires disconnecting both the hot and neutral wire. Unplugging things works well.

Circuit breakers only disconnect the hot. Neutral stays connected. Wall or other switches do the same. Neutral must be disconnected as well to troubleshoot such circuits.

The ground fault may be in a circuit that is "turned off". It will still trip the GFI.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!

The 'groundless" gfic measure current balance between hot and neutral. When a imbalance occurs, indicating a fault, relay / solenoid is disengaged.

Most of the wall units I have had the displeasure of working with monitor circuit balance and presence of fault on ground. I now have trouble with using isolation transformers faulting a gfci, despite being a maintained 10Mohm and higher isolation to ground.

You seen the assemblies that have ground connections for upstream and downstream on different screws yet? I suspect those are device specific, and monitor for integrity of ground circuit downstream and upstream independently in addition to monitoring the neutral / ground loop (if it exists).

Tags
storage