Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2012, 11:34 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
GMAC Insurance and "RV Storage" feature

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck62 View Post
I checked into the cost of GMAC insurance as a comparison to my current policy and found them to be higher. They did tell me that I would save money during my storage months but we use our motorhome through out the year. The storage suspension is on your Liability and Collision coverage, comprehensive (theft) remains in effect and if you store at home should not be a problem . But, if you store at a public storage lot and someone accidently hits your RV you will be responsible for the damage unless you can identify the person that hit you. GMAC needs to inform people about this and not when you ask the agent when you are getting a quote what happens if you are hit while in storage.
So what insurance company do you have your RV insured through? I''m going to check with Farmers (where our other vehicles are currently covered), Allstate, and AAA to see what they offer for premiums, storage, etc. for the RV. Any other insurance companies others have had good luck with?

Thanks,

Jim and Susan
Merln, OR
meant2shop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2012, 03:13 AM   #16

I just bought the GS/GMAC Insurance and it was several hundred dollars cheaper than my home/car insurer State Farm and State Farm was several hundred dollars cheaper than Progressive. At this cost I am not worried about doing the storage deduction.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:36 AM   #17

AAA is by far the best price on all insurance. We have cars, home and 5th wheel with them. Highly recomend giving them a look.
kencon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:39 AM   #18

While shopping for insurance I got a GMAC quote from GS. Then, after reading about Miller Insurance (503-636-6347), I called them. They quoted several companies, GMAC being one of them. Their GMAC quote was hundreds less than GS's.
Geezer80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:35 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by meant2shop View Post
So what insurance company do you have your RV insured through? I''m going to check with Farmers (where our other vehicles are currently covered), Allstate, and AAA to see what they offer for premiums, storage, etc. for the RV. Any other insurance companies others have had good luck with?

Thanks,

Jim and Susan
Merln, OR
Jim and Susan,
I have National Interstate through Explorer agency they specilize in RV insurance and are very knowledgeable in RV insurance needs and the specialized coverage.
buck62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:22 PM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Wow, so glad I read through this post. Gives one alot of food for thought. We insure everything we own through State Farm, 2 vehicles, TT,MH, house, and are very happy with it . I did check out GMAC once, and found the rate to be much higher. I guess rates vary from state to state, but we are happy with ours.
ghoststories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:00 PM   #21

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have been in and around insurance a long time and I do not know everything, but I do know this:

1) Don't switch insurance companies over a few (10% or less) bucks. Don't expect a new carrier to respond to a large loss like one that you've been with for years.

2) Don't file a claim for less than your deductible (or whatever your comfort zone for smaller claims is...some it might be 100, some it might be 500, etc). Even a call to a claim rep and they could open a file and your "claim free" discount (if applicable) will disappear. Pay for it out of pocket. Believe me, the carrier WILL get the money back one way or another..

3) Carriers use consumer profiling and credit reporting for the pricing. Not just in RV insurance either. Carriers have their own little "credit/consumer reporting system" for just about any line you look at.

Insurance companies are not in business to lose money. They'll get it back one way or another, either by increased premiums, or cancellation.

This is all IMHO ! For those of you who don't know what that is (like me for several months) IN MY HUMBLE OPINION.

Kent
Old 02-24-2012, 11:56 PM   #22

Whatever you do-remember, insurance companies are not your friends. They are there to strictly make money. And do.
Wayne MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:00 AM   #23

It seems that I have my own drama with a couple of insurance companies.

Progressive - they determined that their client was 100% at fault for rear ending me on the freeway and that is where they stopped accepting responbility. All of the impact was directly on my hitch. Even with a concussion & whiplash, numbness in arm & hand, 0.50 change in eye sight, etc. they said they are entertaining a nuisance offer only. They refused to get my new truck repaired or have the frame inspected. They said how do they know that the bumper & tonneau cover pushed out of alignment was from the accident? "It was such a minor accident" according to"Team Jerks". This minor accident was strong enough for me to hit the back of my head on the headrest and blackout for a few seconds. I don't remember the accident or if we were moving or not. Just days after the accident they have pushed to get me to settle medical and they haven't stopped pushing yet. Next week I have an appointment with my doctor and will go over the results from the two MRIs I recently had.

Allstate - dad lives with me in his house. Dad had a stroke and no longer drives. He does have Home Owners with Allstate that is linked to my auto policy with Allstate for a discount. Dad been with Allstate since 1962 and has filed 3 claims in this period and combine the claims were about $6k total. Allstate dropped him but long story short Allstate agreed to keep him by rasing his deductable from $100 to $2,500. I just found out that my TT could fall under the HO policy instead of my RV policy with Allstate. Here's my problem - in that case I would have my dad's $2,500 deductable to meet instead of the $50 deductable I am paying for on my policy (same as my auto). Allstate does not cover theft of property but yet I have $5k coverage on my RV policy. Insurance agent is support to be working on giving me a breakdown in non-insurance language so I can understand my policy. Currently I have my TT at a storage place but been thinking about bringing it home. My TT is not covered by the storage place either.

AAA - I have AAA for road services. I ended up upgrading my auto coverage in the event my RV breaks down. RV coverage included towing up to 100 miles (if I remember this correctly) while they would only tow my truck 8 or 12 miles. Roadside service is something I intend to research during summer break. AAA can't even come close to my fees with Allstate nor do they even offer my low deductables that I have (Zero & $50). AAA was something like $265 higher with higher deductable.

All this insurance stuff gives me a big headache.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:01 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have an update to my GMAC dilemas. After two separate (and long phone calls) to GMAC Customer Service, my "taking the RV back out of storage" bill was reduced from $102.00 to $80.00. I still wasn't happy about even getting a bill, since my premium for 12 months had been paid in full when I took out the policy in Aug '11, and didn't expect a bill (only a refund), when we used the "storage" feature for 2 months. After emailing my problem direct to a GMAC underwriting POC from whom I had received good service previously, she called me direct. She understood my problem, said my comp. rate should not have "increased" while the RV was in storage for 2 months, and billing had incorrectly calculated the bill. GMAC is refunding $75.00 of the $80.00 we paid back to us. So we're happy campers now - we probably won't put our RV in "storage" again - at least while we have GMAC - not worth the hassle and the savings seem to be minimal. The final savings appears to be $73.00 for two months of storage - but what an ordeal getting the bill corrected!

BTW - we have a '00 Fleetwood Pace Arrow Vision 37ft. We have $500 Collision deductible, 0 comp deductible, and 100000/300000/100000 - right now our annual premium is $477 (we live in Oregon), but it may go up approx. $70 in Aug '12 due to a rate increase GMAC got approved for Oregon policyholders effective Jan '12. Our current GMAC $477 annual RV insurance premium was significantly cheaper than Farmer's quote, where we have our house and vehicles insured, and Farmer's was cheaper than State Farm, where we'd had our house and vehicles insured for many years.

Yes, we, too don't like dealing with insurance companies. You really have to be vigilent and do your homework, and then you have find someone to speak to who has the capacity to understand your issue and resolve it/or explain it to your satisfaction. Luckily, after several attempts, we did.

Happy Trails,

Jim and Susan
Merlin, OR
meant2shop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:45 PM   #25

Yeah, I dumped GMAC Because of their Games !!! They charged me a service fee ( I think it was $78 ) too for changing to the storage option !!!!!!
Old 03-03-2012, 09:00 PM   #26

I have GMAC and put in storage while parked for winter and living in it in Arizona. Then put it back in storage when it sits in my Drive in Michigan in the Summer. No problem yet. I get refund check in mail then when I put it back on the road, I pay balance on phone with my cc. Savings is substantial. 5 month savings in Arizona pays for about half the diesel back to Michigan.
usmade56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:23 AM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
I need to vent about insurance too !

I had recently switched over to GMAC through Good Sam's....My wife talked with the nice lady and got everything insured including MH and both cars ( one is a toad ). This was back about the first part of May..
Well, we headed out for our trip from Fl. to Northern NH with stops in Va. Pa., and a few others along the way pulling the toad behind...
With recommendations from here, had my mail forwarded by my daughter ( via priority mail ) to our seasonal address ( three day service ).

I just yesterday received a check in the mail from GMAC..found out my insurance was cancelled back on the 7th of May...Why ? Because the payment, which my wife had give over the phone with a credit card, was $1.97 short...GMAC says, we sent a certified notice..NOPE...I checked with our mail lady..( close friend ) never delivered a cert. mail since we've been gone...no signature with GMAC either...Sooo, they just cancelled the insurance...no notification...no phone call, no email...although they strongly push " Paperless " billing. Even giving a discount if you do..but they don't use email or ( I guess ) the telephone.. All this info was asked for in the application..and they sure do use it for advertising...

Needless to say, after finding out I've recently traveled over 2000 miles without insurance, I was rather upset....Never again will I go with GMAC for anything...Nor will I take Good Sam's recommendations without checking on here and other places...very, very poor business. I have documented everything and plan to notify the Fl. insurance commissioner about not receiving any certified mail...for the cancellation....can you believe it....???? $1.97 off on the payment...and my wife, paid with the CC over the phone to the GMAC person...exactly what she said she needed to start the policy.....
kchadw1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:17 PM   #28

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
So, we also signed up for GMAC with full coverage including full replacement on our 2011 coach. When we recd policy coverages in mail, full replacement was missing. Discovered Gmac won't offer in Florida. Never. Otified us. If we hadn't read policy declarations wouldn't had known. Got our $ back and went with Nationwide....they have been terrific.
LEZM3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance