Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2006, 07:21 AM   #1
BLT

Hello to all RV Enthusiasts..
We are going to an Rv show and would like your input to what to look for in a class
A Quality is very important to me as it should be since these things cost so much.. will be looking at Winnie's, tiffin,
Monaco, Holiday rambler. Gas and diesel..
Do you have a prefrence.. chime in and lets here it.. Thanks Bruce

BLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2006, 07:21 AM   #2
BLT

Hello to all RV Enthusiasts..
We are going to an Rv show and would like your input to what to look for in a class
A Quality is very important to me as it should be since these things cost so much.. will be looking at Winnie's, tiffin,
Monaco, Holiday rambler. Gas and diesel..
Do you have a prefrence.. chime in and lets here it.. Thanks Bruce

Old 08-28-2006, 08:06 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Bruce

If nobody has said it yet, welcome to iRV2.com.

RV shows can be exciting and confusing. I am sure by the time you get home, everything will be running together. Take a note pad and take notes.

While you're there, check out Newmar and Travel Supreme. Both are excellent, high quality coaches.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 10:46 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Bruce,
This is what we do when shopping for a coach. Make a list of no more than ten items that are deal breakers. When you shop, provide the list to the sales person. Ask him/her to show you only coaches meeting your list of deal breakers. As a sample, our last list, for our signature coach was (the list assumes basic items like a generator, dash A/C, leveling jacks, microwave, multi door refrigerator etc.)
1. 4 slide outs (or equivelent)
2. Booth Dinette (that can be a bed)
3. Sleeping For 6
4. Seatbelts For 8
5. Washer/Dryer
6. Bath:
6a)Tub Or Shower With Seat
6b)Split Bath
7. XM Radio
8. GPS Navagation
9. Direct TV (Can Be Used While In Motion)
10. Tow 6000 lb Vehicle

Most of the time there are three things we do with a coach.
1. travel
2. eat
3. sleep
View the coach in each of these three configurations. In our most recent search (2004/2005), we found living area facing couches could not be opened into beds at the same time and when traveling we could not get to the bathroom with the slides closed. Visualize who will sleep and eat where. What choices to the passengers have for seating, when traveling. Determine if the floorplan will work for you.

All other things being equal, there are three things that sell a coach, floor plan, floor plan and floor plan. The floor plan decision is unique to each of us. Use this as a baseline to make you own list and decisions.

Good luck, there are many memories ahead of you.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 12:12 PM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
OK, Bruce. I'll chime in. My perspective is that any RV is a tool. When I shop for a tool, the first things I want to decide are:
1. What do I plan to do with it? Buying a cheap electric drill if I plan to use it every day isn't smart but I don't need a 1/2" chuck with a 90 degree handle to drill a few 1/8" holes in a piece of crown molding either. Long trips? Leave it parked in one place for a long time? Travel with passengers or just the DW? Sleep how many? Live in it for long periods or just on weekends? Cook in or eat out? If I buy a hammer for the wrong reasons, it probably isn't going to work for me.
2. What level of quality (budget) do I want to work with? I can buy professional grade table saws costing thousands of $ but is that what I need to do? You don't need to get your budget figured out down to the penny but you should know before you start looking what range (maybe plus or minus $20K). There are Prevosts out there for $1.5M. You can find used MHs down to $10K. That is a wide spread and you have to have some range you want to work with.
3.Will I really like using it? I rented a one man powered posthole auger and now know that I never want to use one of those again! The RV lifestyle seems glamorous (just like traveling to foriegn countries on business) but when you do it the first time, it may be that it isn't for you. Accordingly, I would invest in a rental, even for a long weekend. The higher the price of the RV that you looking for, the longer I would suggest making that rental period. Not that you have buy the same type that your renting but the idea is get used to the lifestyle and determine if it is still appealing to you afterwards. The rental also will give you an idea about appliances and accessories. If you use it to travel to where other RVs are in use, the rental period will also allow you to see how others do things and maybe get some ideas about your likes and dislikes. We rented almost 7 weeks and put on nearly 7K miles on the combined rentals that we had. We don't regret that experience (we even broken down twice)as it helped us greatly in our purchase decision.

By the time you get through those 3 steps, you will have a lot more specific questions to ask and you may have saved yourself from one or more very costly mistakes. JMHO.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 03:20 PM   #6

Bruce
Like the above post said, buy the right tool for the job. If you are full-timing, I would not get anything less than 40 Foot. Also, Diesels generally have more CCC (cargo hauling).
IMHO, I would decide how much money you plan to spend. Are you going to finance. Then limit your selections to the price ranges. Also, if you ar buying new, expect to pay no more than 75% of the MSRP. Don't plan on buying small then moving up. Very costly decision. If you buy used, expect to pay for some repairs-- just about all Motor Homes, new or used, have problems. If possible get someone who has owned a MH and take them with you to shop, They will know more of what to look for. s/Toby
Old 08-29-2006, 04:20 PM   #7

Bruce,

As the former head of maintenance and warranty service in a New England Wood Working Mill my eyes and hands are drawn to the millwork. Don't just look at the cabinets, doors, counters and other millwork, touch them and caress them. You will be able to feel the difference in quality very quickly. You will be able to feel bathroom vanities that could scrape and injure you and your guests along with interior doors that have not had their edges eased properly which could deeply cut or break fingers if they got caught in them.

Touch, feel, look, take pictures and take notes. Play house in your mind. Sit in the coach and imagine what it would be like to go through your daily activities in each one that you consider. Activities like cooking the meals that you like to prepare, showering, shaving, making the bed amd other general housekeeping. Does it have room to carry your lifes neccesities?

Set the limits of your budget and see what those at the low end are like and then work your way up until you find one that feels right for you.

For my family we found that as things progressed we naturally gravitated to the Winnebago Adveturer 35U and its equivalents. It had the quality/value level that met our needs and budget. Not the best but most definately not the worst.

Regards,
Old 08-29-2006, 07:09 PM   #8
BLT

Thanks everyone for the great responses..
There sure is alot to think about..
one thing We aren't going to do is jump into this without first doing our homework..
I've been lurking around ths fourm for quite awhile now, and have learned alot.. I don't think renting an RV will change our minds about what we want to do, and that is fultiming and seeing this great country of ours, and meeting new people.. buying new or used is still up in arms, but kinda starting to lean toward used because of the deprecation hit they take.. There are some good deals out there..
We do have a list of things that are a must have.. Its infact almost the same as gary's
except for the Booth Dinette.. I not sure on the 4 slides either I feel the more slides there is the more it takes away from the CCC, IMO..
Enjoy going to RV shows to check out whats new and also drewl a little..
Ok I'm done rambling.. Thanks everyone

Old 08-30-2006, 04:04 AM   #9

Mr. & Mrs. BLT~

Your story sounds a lot like ours. We (read: ME) have been researching and lurking about RV forums for going on 5 years, now. I get it that renting will not change your mind, I am absolutely convinced that this is the life for me (DH's responsibility lies in following me and his checkbook around!). We're heading up to Hershey, PA in a little over a week--not sure we'll buy at that time as we're about 9 months away from our next vacation and I can't see making 9 months of payments on a new rig that is in storage--but we're going, for the drool factor alone!!! Then again, we've been talking about a fall trip up into New England...

Time being, for the weekend/yearly vacation we've settled on either the Winnebago View or GulfStream Vista for now. When we start full-timing in 5 years, we are pretty much settled on ordering a LazyDaze. We'll "sell" the View/Vista to a brother-in-law.

So YIPPIE YAHOO :-) to you and yours! The thread you started held much interest for me and mine! Happy Camping!

Marcia
DH & Dogs
AmericanGypsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 04:45 PM   #10

I don't know much about class A's, but having been to RV shows, I say bring a digital camera.

After a while, all the brands and models can tend to run together, and the brochures aren't always that helpful.

For each model I'm looking at, I start with a photo of the sign with the price, as it usually lists the model information and the dealership that carries them, then I photo the heck out of that model, and can keep track of what photos are what unit.
Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 07:24 PM   #11
BLT

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff_in_The_Dalles:
I don't know much about class A's, but having been to RV shows, I say bring a digital camera.

After a while, all the brands and models can tend to run together, and the brochures aren't always that helpful.

For each model I'm looking at, I start with a photo of the sign with the price, as it usually lists the model information and the dealership that carries them, then I photo the heck out of that model, and can keep track of what photos are what unit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What a great idea taking pictures, It didn't even dawn on me.. I have taken notes before
but thats even better Thank You..
Bruce

Old 09-11-2006, 08:27 PM   #12

We looked for our TT for almost 5 years before we made up our minds. We went to every show and took digital pictures of everything we liked and found out that we started looking in the complete opposite direction than when we started. We almost had our minds made up 4 or 5 times and then something told us to wait. I'm glad we did. We would have made a costly mistake. We finally rented a TT that we thought might work and we narrowed it down from there. We have 2 teenage children and quickly found out that we wanted to be able to get up in the morning and be able to sit and watch the news and make coffee without disturbing our children. If it is just our family then we don't have to break anything down into a bed. Front queen and rear bunks(2) were sufficent. We bought our new TT in July and have been on 3 worry free trips so far. The last one was with Sister-in-law, brother-in-law and thier 2 children. While we di have to break down everything to sleep we still had a great time and everyone had a place to sleep, eat, and relax. Do your homework carefully and take plenty of pictures and make good notes with model #'s and likes and dislikes then go from there. Good luck!
Bryan Salgado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 10:51 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One thing I think everyone forgot about was service. We all know that your new RV will not be right and things will need to be fixed. How long has your dealer been in business? How long has he sold the brand you are buying? Is the brand you are buying recognized for being a quality builder or are you going to have trouble for the whole life of ownership? How far will you have to go to get warranty service? How many service providers are available to you in your travels? Julia and I spent a long time looking. We went from class c's to A's. From gas to diesel and back to gas. We went from 29 feet to 40 and settled at 37. We wanted a seperate head / vanity and shower. We wanted a curbside kitchen. In the end we hit about 90% of our goals and even though we now live in our almost fulltime, I see things I would do different next time. I don't think renting would of made a difference to us. We knew we were going to buy and would like the lifestyle. Don't go in to anyalisis paralisis. Look a t a lot of floor plans features and builders. The answer will appear before your eyes.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 09:55 AM   #14
BLT

Hi all,
We are back from the RV show..
WOW, so many to choose from. like you all said, we took pictures and notes..
Since we what to fultime in this thing my DW
said nothing under 36'
My Wife was very suprised when we looked at the Newmar Ventana VTDP 3331
It is 31' what we liked about it was the layout
she said "I could live in this".. It was very spacious for a 31'.
So this is something else to think about..
Also Looked at a Fleetwood Discovery 40' it has one looooong slide WOW really nice but just a little beyond our means.. Looked at crap to I won't say which ones though..
Its to bad that we as consumers would except such poor craftmanship even on entry level Coaches there still should be Quality
I will give you an example "cupboard doors"
Doors were routed to mount the hinges, some were done ok but others were routed all the way through to the outside edge, so when the door is closed it shows a 3/8" dado..
If someone can see this defect right out in the open, I have to wonder what else is there thats hidden.. All in All had a great time
It was fun talking to other folks about thier experinces and about what they liked and disliked.. I always said I wanted a toilet separate from the sink and shower, untill one lady asked me "how are you going to wash your hands after you do your buisness" you know what? I never thought about that, washing hands is a pet peeve of mine to, germs are everywhere!
I suppose I could put a container of sanitation
wipes in there.. Thanks to everyone that replied.. Be Safe On Your Travels
Bruce