Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2011, 05:12 AM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Good portable outside heater for tailgaiting?

Any suggestions for a good, safe portable outside heater for tailgaiting?

I'm getting lost in all the choices I'm finding online (floor stand, table top, sits on ground, etc.), and corresponding levels of BTUs and how warm that will really keep us, etc.. Also, I'm not sure if one kind is truly more safe than another to operate...

Ideally, I'd like to use smaller propane tanks to power (so we don't have to haul a big 20lb one with us in the back of the truck if we don't have the TT with us). Understand from what I've read that I'll only get about 3hrs on one tank if I run on a high setting, but I can bring a bunch of these smaller canisters more easily for reserves.

If I get a type powered by the smaller propane tank, would I need two separate units to really stay warm? (I get teased a lot for always being cold! )

Thanks! Waiting for those NASCAR races to start early in the year can get pretty chilly!

go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2011, 09:32 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

You need a radiant heater, one that warms nearby objects with infrared waves. Just blwoing warm air won't help much outside.

A radiant heater is as effective as the area it can cover, and most don't cover very much. It takes a lot of btus to spread over a much of a space, and I would think two would be much better than one if several people are involved. Otherwise the people near the heater are ok and those facing them are literally out in the cold.

I would also think you would want the tall models, so that it can reflect the infrared waves down onto people standing/sitting around the tailgate.
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 05:53 AM   #3

Some friends of ours have these big heaters that stand about 8' tall. The propane tank sits in the base and there is a big mushroom type head on the top of it that radiates the heat. They disassemble quite easily for transport. I know you mentioned smaller type heaters, but these things really put out the heat - we've stood with an 8'-10' radius of these things in 0 degree weather and they really work nicely. I was looking into getting one and they range from 200-300.00 for a decent one. Just a thought.

Info: http://www.azpatioheaters.com/produc...l-Patio-Heater
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New%20res%202.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	8284  
Old 02-12-2011, 06:53 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the help and suggestions!

I think you're both right - I need to look at these instead.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:22 PM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
I googled "outside propane heaters" and this was the first hit-there were others. Have you looked at any of these?
Patio Heaters: Outdoor Patio Heater | PatioShoppers.com
HoboPals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:47 AM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks - I did take a look.

I ended up getting this one for just over $100. It got good reviews from what I could find online, comes with a carry bag and looks pretty good. Plan on giving it a shot at our first NASCAR race at the end of April.

Thanks, again, for all the feedback.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:28 AM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
Hope you enjoy it! My son is an avid NASCAR fan-he's taking my trailer to Darlington in May.
HoboPals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 01:06 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Now that you got the heater, but don't want to use a large tank, get one of these small ones, we've had one for years-- they're not much bigger than the disposables, and hold about 8x as much propane...
PlayItForwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 02:31 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Great idea! Thanks!

Old 02-18-2011, 03:07 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by go6car
Thanks - I did take a look.

I ended up getting this one for just over $100. It got good reviews from what I could find online, comes with a carry bag and looks pretty good. Plan on giving it a shot at our first NASCAR race at the end of April.

Thanks, again, for all the feedback.
Once you get warmed up, come over and meet us in Dover. there will be lots of cold Canadian beer. The good old USA is my second home - but
Our beer is better LOL No offense to my US friends.

I PLAN TO LIVE FOREVER. IT'S WORKING SO FAR.
Akibase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 03:14 PM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
We're actually season ticket holders at Dover! Love it, but can't go to the Spring race this year since our kid is graduating on Sunday. So, decided to hit the fist Richmond race instead. With all these schedule changes, the races we go to (except Pocono) are all now really early Spring, or late fall (hence getting this heater!!).

Old 02-18-2011, 05:42 PM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by go6car
We're actually season ticket holders at Dover! Love it, but can't go to the Spring race this year since our kid is graduating on Sunday. So, decided to hit the fist Richmond race instead. With all these schedule changes, the races we go to (except Pocono) are all now really early Spring, or late fall (hence getting this heater!!).
As well we are Dover season ticket holders. Up until this year we have always stayed in a motel near Dover. Maybe I could ask you as to which
campground at Dover is the best. I have some health issues and we normally try to stay in handicapped CG, but if not available where do you suggest? Are all campgrounds dry camping? We are not kids anymore and would prefer a non party zone. We would appreciate any help you may be able to give us. Have been to Dover 7 times and we travel from eastern end of Canada (New Brunswick) Its a nice two day trip. I have been to every track but three. Have not been to California, Texas, and Pocano. I have heard so much negative about Pocano. What are your thoughts?
My GW and I are heading down for spring race with new TT. Can hardly wait.

I PLAN TO LIVE FOREVER. IT'S WORKING SO FAR.
Akibase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:54 PM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akibase View Post
As well we are Dover season ticket holders. Up until this year we have always stayed in a motel near Dover. Maybe I could ask you as to which
campground at Dover is the best. I have some health issues and we normally try to stay in handicapped CG, but if not available where do you suggest? Are all campgrounds dry camping? We are not kids anymore and would prefer a non party zone. We would appreciate any help you may be able to give us. Have been to Dover 7 times and we travel from eastern end of Canada (New Brunswick) Its a nice two day trip. I have been to every track but three. Have not been to California, Texas, and Pocano. I have heard so much negative about Pocano. What are your thoughts?
My GW and I are heading down for spring race with new TT. Can hardly wait.
Just sent you a PM about all that! Hope it helps!

Old 02-18-2011, 09:20 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I use one of these under the awning when boondocking.

Amazon.com: Mr. Heater Buddy Portable Propane Heater - 9000 BTU, Model# MH9BX: Home Improvement
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote