Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2009, 07:20 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Good Sam

Received an offer from GS to renew as an Lifetime Member. Is this something new? Is it worth it $299. to never pay anymore dues?
Is it worht it to even belong?
Bagger97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2009, 07:43 AM   #2

Allan

Do not know if it is a good buy, but the rate they are increasing the dues, if you want to be a member maybe it is a deal. They want $29 a year now. A couple of years ago, it was just $12. I just wish FMCA had a program to get all the campgrounds to give you a ten percent discount like GSs does and I would not belong to both of them, just FMCA, s/Toby
Old 03-31-2009, 08:10 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Hi Bagger97

Wether it is worth it must depend mainly on how many years you will continue RVing and how often you stay at parks that will give you a 10% discount.

Looking strictly at the campground savings I estimate that you will save on average $4 per night, and if you devide this into $299 it will take you 75 nights to save $299.

You will however have to take the annual fee of $29 into the equation, so without ever staying at parks that gives you the 10% discount it will take you just over 10 years to break even (assuming that the annual fee remains unchanged, which it probably won't).

There you are - everything is now clear as mud as they say in Ireland. I bet you are now confused at a much higher level

Glad to be of assistance

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:12 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

We let our GS lapse this year. About the only benefit is the 10% campground discount and we belong to other discount programs (e.g. passport America) that give more for the dollar. Good Sam still sells us theor other products, e.g. campground CDs, road service, etc. if we want them. Don't seem to have to be a member to get them.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:18 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Roamer [Gary] View Post
We let our GS lapse this year. About the only benefit is the 10% campground discount and we belong to other discount programs (e.g. passport America) that give more for the dollar. Good Sam still sells us theor other products, e.g. campground CDs, road service, etc. if we want them. Don't seem to have to be a member to get them.
Wise man this Gary - this is exactly what we are going to do.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:39 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
We dropped our GS membership last year as well. Many of the places we frequent no longer honor the GS discount or they do only for cash. GS has been transformed to a cash cow for Affinity rather than something to help RVers in my opinion.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:36 AM   #7

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am a life time member and do not regret it at all. I was a member of passport america some ten years ago and could hardly ever find a place to stay that was not off the beaten path, a funky park, or they said could not use it at the park for one reason or another, dropped them quick and bought lifetime with GS. It has paid for itself ten times over already.
MtManLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 01:33 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Alan,
I became a life member of GS years ago. For me it has been and will continue to be worth it. Like others have posted, the bottom line is do you use the service GS provides. If so, it's a good deal.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:21 AM   #9

I dumped off Good Sams. When I joined I got more junk mail than one can even begin to imagine. Most parks will offer discounts without the Good Sams card. I would not recommend it to anyone.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:41 PM   #10

We are life members of Good Sam. I use the discounts and the trip routing. I also have AAA, but they do not offer lifetime membership.
Meandering Retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 07:23 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
GS has been transformed to a cash cow for Affinity rather than something to help RVers in my opinion.
GS has always been a profit center for Affinity. It was never about helping campers. Escapees and Passport America are also privately owned companies that are in the business of selling services to RVers.

FMCA, on the other hand, is member owned and operated.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 10:58 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
This is all very interesting to me, not only as an RV'r, but as an owner of a small RV Park. I am just trying to decide what programs we should be part of, so far I have no less than 10 affiliations I am considering. We are happy to offer a discount, but in addition most programs charge us (as an RV Park) for a membership or for "being listed"... I'm trying to decide what works best for the most RV'rs. So, I'll stay tuned!

Brenda, of...
Old 04-04-2009, 11:48 AM   #13

I have both GS (not lifetime) and KOA. I have looked at PA, HC and other similar clubs, but they have too many restrictions. When we travel, we seldom make reservations because we seldom know where we are going to be on any given day. We plan what we are going to see, but not always know how long we will stay in any given place. Very difficult to plan ahead to get into a PA or other similar club campground.

However, with GS and KOA you will always get the 10% discount without restrictions and you can almost always find a GS or KOA campground wherever you are. We easily make up the cost of membership. Make sense?
Old 04-04-2009, 12:02 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Brenda,
Consider becoming affiliated with those organizations that charge you nothing or very little. Offer something special, above and beyond, if the customer mentions a code number you place in the listing. Keep track of the customers that mention the code number. After a year or two, you will have data that you can use to make a decision on how valuable these affiliations are to your business.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote