Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2014, 05:31 AM   #15

Aint insurance great! Gives me that warm fussy feeling.
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2014, 05:56 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
As I read this post, I am waiting for a tire service company, to come to me and possibly change out my inside dual tire - driver's side. I am presently located at the RVacation RV Park, in Selma, NC.

Yesterday, I checked the air pressure in my tires and found one tire, down in pressure, 50%, from what I usually run. This worried me, because I'm headed home, to Florida and didn't want to risk a blowout.

So, I called GS, because I have ERS with them. However, since this was not an emergency, (I was parked in my space at the RV Park), they couldn't help me, except to give me a local service telephone number to call. I have previously read here (in another post), that GS won't help you, in an RV park. Now, I know for sure. I'm not complaining, "just saying".
Old 04-03-2014, 06:02 AM   #17
Community Administrator

I would gently drive it out of the rv park and then call them.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:29 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A question GS would not answer for me was How much of that $99 or $150 was service call and how much was labor.

Service man came to my house for a flat, GS charged me $150, all he did was tighten valve core and air up the tire. Credit card charges was $150. I still can't believe that was right.

I have Coach Net now and if I have to call I will ask how much each is. My understanding is that the same rules apply to both.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:41 AM   #19

Thor Owners Club
I think that the ERS is sort of self descriptive...Emergency Roadside Service....although a flat tire is a flat tire if its not always an emergency. I look at ERS as a service I use when I'm out on the road broke down and need to be towed or my tire changed. Beyond mounting a spare I would expect to pay. Its not an extended warranty plan, its an Emergency Roadside Service. That said if you feel ripped off GS has rv.net.com where you can make a complaint and from what I read there is usually a response. I think those folks who have been towed and saved a bunch of money on towing probably swear by ERS.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:46 AM   #20
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
i was parked in my driveway with an inside dual flat. Called GS. They dispatched a service. The service found a leaking valve extension. Repaired it, inflated tire and my cost was nothing.

A few years ago I broke down. Engine just quit. (long story). Called GS. The dispatched a wrecker. I had to be towed 40 miles to the Cummins service center. After arriving I asked the wrecker driver what it would have cost had i had to pay for it. He casually replied, "$750 for the hook-up and tow."

So, thank you Good Sam ERS.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 02:45 PM   #21
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
...I have Coach Net now and if I have to call I will ask how much each is. My understanding is that the same rules apply to both.
Not unless things have changed in the last couple of years. See my previous post #14. Coach Net repaired flats on 2 separate occasions - $20 for the first one and $25 for the second.

Oh, yeah - both repairs were done in a campground. We were not on the highway, but we were technically away from home.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 03:04 PM   #22

On the two occasions I called Coachnet for onsite help, we were actually HOME and Coachnet never asked for any charge card or payment info.
The first time they towed a car to dealer (no charge) for warranty repair on shift linkage. The second time sent a mobile mechanic who repaired mouse chewed air brake line on a MH. Onsite Service call was paid by Coachnet with our expense only a charge for actual diag & repair paid to mechanic.
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 03:09 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post

And make sure you have the right tennis shoes on when the show up!
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 03:54 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
OK - I am confused. I have Good Sam ERS. I had a flat and they sent someone out to put on my spare - no cost and that is what I think is always the case. I suspect there is a clause that if you are at home this is really not qualifying for Emergency ROAD Service. I think it does matter where the coach is sitting. We are stranded on the side of the road.

That was with our 5er and now we have a MH and don't know about ERS putting on a tire but told by others they will and the literature states "we will put on our inflated spare." I am still debating about carrying a tire, full spare or nothing. Just let them tow me perhaps - which is included.

To this poster I think the location (being at home and not 'enjoying' an 'emergency' is probably the cause of the issues.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:22 PM   #25

Wink

Thoroughly research these issues, this Forum and RV.Net are good sources for real world experience, before spending your money. I did and purchased Coach Net. Even if they (CN or GS), will come out for a flat you had better have the appropriate inflated spare or it is going to get very expensive.

Are you prepared to sit on the shoulder of a busy interstate for several hours (or more), when they are too busy to get to you? It happens. This is why I carry a bottle jack, jack stands, torque wrench and a 100 psi compressor all of which were purchased for around $100 at Harbor Freight.
Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 04:44 PM   #26

This is why I carry a bottle jack, jack stands, torque wrench and a 100 psi compressor all of which were purchased for around $100 at Harbor Freight.

The OP's signature shows a big Monaco diesel pusher. I would guess at least 295/22.5 tires. The coach is heavy, the tires/rims are heavy, the lug nuts are torqued to 450+ ft.lbs. Your average RVer is not physically able to change a tire like this safely, on the shoulder of the road, with or without Harbor Freight tools.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 05:08 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
Not unless things have changed in the last couple of years. See my previous post #14. Coach Net repaired flats on 2 separate occasions - $20 for the first one and $25 for the second.

Oh, yeah - both repairs were done in a campground. We were not on the highway, but we were technically away from home.
Glad to hear that, but hope I don't need them anyway
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:27 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
A man after my own heart...although I'd probably call them first and when they said two hours to get there, I'd gently leave at the 1:30 mark.
JACKAL0PE is offline   Reply With Quote