Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2014, 12:38 PM   #43

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJerryP View Post
What are the reasons for not having a spare tire????
I just do not see the logic of choosing to be stranded................
If you use a 22.5" tire most rigs have no where to put one, unless of course you put it on the bed or somewhere else inside the rig as I my basement does not have enough room to store it, and I am not able to heave a heavy tire on the roof either. If take one and it is inside I would also have to find a way to secure it, nothing like slamming on the brakes and having something that heavy start rolling or flying around the inside of the rig waiting to stop on the back of your neck . If you look at most long haul trucks, they do not have spares either.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2014, 12:54 PM   #44

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
What are the reasons for not having a spare tire????
I just do not see the logic of choosing to be stranded................
I have neither the tools nor the muscle to change out a 22.5" tire. That's why I have a roadside assistance plan.
tanstaafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 05:50 PM   #45

this is why I carry a full size spare on a rim under the coach 11R22.5 . changing to the spare on the roadside is free, getting charged for a new tire on the side of the highway is against my upbringing.
rbpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 06:30 PM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanstaafl View Post
I have neither the tools nor the muscle to change out a 22.5" tire. That's why I have a roadside assistance plan.

Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:45 PM   #47
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If I were to carry a spare, it would be the tire only. It could be in the back of the TOAD and stored under the RV when parked, or wherever. Any good tire service can mount a new tire on a rim.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:38 PM   #48

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruelens View Post
This is why I carry a bottle jack, jack stands, torque wrench and a 100 psi compressor all of which were purchased for around $100 at Harbor Freight.

The OP's signature shows a big Monaco diesel pusher. I would guess at least 295/22.5 tires. The coach is heavy, the tires/rims are heavy, the lug nuts are torqued to 450+ ft.lbs. Your average RVer is not physically able to change a tire like this safely, on the shoulder of the road, with or without Harbor Freight tools.
This discussion is not limited to folks with a Class A and the heavy 22.5" tires. My point was ERS may not be able to get to you for hours and the time spent on the shoulder puts you at risk. One of the big reasons folks go with a Class C is the superior safety they offer when contrasted with a Class A. The ability to change a tie with a few tools is just one of the many ways C's are safer and as noted for $100 worth of cheap tools you give yourself options.

I'll call Coach Net for help but know that if they cannot get to me right away I can change, repair and or reinflate that tire. We mostly camp, often a long ways from immediate help and are prepared to deal with most problems.

As always.... Opinions and YMMV.
Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:41 PM   #49

Some of us are unable to change a tire. Others simply choose not to. And each has their own reasons.

I am physically unable to now, but did on my class C back when. But with ERS I dont have to.

The BIGGEST thing about ERS, and the 1st reason to have it, is not the tire change, it is the tow if disabled that can save many hundreds. It just so happens that they will also change my tire.

I dont have room for a spare. But I know they will bring one. If they dont bring one, they will need to start over.

If there is poor performance on the part of the ERS or the tire folks, it would so reported.

That is good enough for me, and hardly worth discussion.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:27 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbpower View Post
this is why I carry a full size spare on a rim under the coach 11R22.5 . changing to the spare on the roadside is free, getting charged for a new tire on the side of the highway is against my upbringing.
Sounds logical to me.

Anyone ever plugged a hole??? you do not even have to change them
find the hole, is a nail, or screw hole, and the tire is not otherwise damaged, I just plug it, and move on...
I have heard all the warnings about plugging a hole, and how they should be removed, patched on the inside, but I have never had trouble.
Too much of a DYI guy I guess.
Never tried it with anything bigger than a 1 ton van though
IamJerryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:45 AM   #51

Quote:
Sounds logical to me.

Anyone ever plugged a hole??? you do not even have to change them
find the hole, is a nail, or screw hole, and the tire is not otherwise damaged, I just plug it, and move on...
I have heard all the warnings about plugging a hole, and how they should be removed, patched on the inside, but I have never had trouble.
Too much of a DYI guy I guess.
Never tried it with anything bigger than a 1 ton van though
The whole plug thing changed back in the 70's when they went from nylon, rayon and polyester belts to steel belts. Back in the 60's and 70's, a plug was the way to go. But when they went to steel belts, they found that the two sides of the belt would cut through the rubber plug and reopen the hole.

A number of modifications have been tried, leather plugs for example, that are much harder to "saw though" with those belts, but nothing except patching has proven commercially viable.

Personally, I think a plug is a great way to get yourself going again in an emergency, but I'd still stop at my earliest convenience and get it patched. Just my opinion of course.
JACKAL0PE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:32 PM   #52

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Most tire shops charge between $35 and $50 to dismount and remount a truck tire plus the road call which varies it is usually a set fee plus mileage, unless it is after hours or weekend or holiday, then it is more. I don't see where GS is getting the $150 for a tire change, they are charging an amount that is for a whole service call. It sounds like GS maybe should look at new service providers, someone is ripping off the end users.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:56 PM   #53

So far I'm happy with GS ERS . I have used for three tows for my auto and it was free. The best was when I had a motorcycle accident and had to be transported to the hospital, my bike was towed and impounded by the police. I was released that night and took the bike home by trailer. I called GS and they said I was covered for the tow. They reimbursed me $350. I have never had a call to them for my MH. If I get the bill for the ambulance within 6 months they will cover as much as $200 after my ins. pays off and there is a balance. Can't complain about that.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:54 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Steve View Post
This discussion is not limited to folks with a Class A and the heavy 22.5" tires. My point was ERS may not be able to get to you for hours and the time spent on the shoulder puts you at risk. One of the big reasons folks go with a Class C is the superior safety they offer when contrasted with a Class A. The ability to change a tie with a few tools is just one of the many ways C's are safer and as noted for $100 worth of cheap tools you give yourself options.

I'll call Coach Net for help but know that if they cannot get to me right away I can change, repair and or reinflate that tire. We mostly camp, often a long ways from immediate help and are prepared to deal with most problems.

As always.... Opinions and YMMV.
That is why the operator you are talking to always asks "are you in a safe place?", as one of the first items they must record. If you say NO I'm not in a safe place, they phone local police to assist with your safety.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:15 AM   #55

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
That is why the operator you are talking to always asks "are you in a safe place?", as one of the first items they must record. If you say NO I'm not in a safe place, they phone local police to assist with your safety.
Spend a little time reading the various RV Forums and you will quickly realize that lots of folks spend an inordinate amount of time waiting for an ERS response. The police are not going to change your tire. If you are in a truly dangerous situation you should be talking to the 911 operator.

If you are on the shoulder of an interstate that is where you will remain until ERS gets to you. Telling ERS that you are not in a "safe" place may get you bumped up the waiting list and then again, it might not.
Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:29 AM   #56

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Rockcrawler,

I have to disagree with as I have had Good Sam ERS and been a member since 1989 with no problems.
Also had Coach-Net and was unhappy with them but used them anyhow. I dropped them when they wouldn't put a spare on my tow dolly if I had a flat, however GS would take care of it.
GS will come out and put on your spare for free but if you don't have a spare they will charge you for the tire and to take the old tire off the rim and mount the new tire. Now this must be done the old fashioned way with tire irons and no machine to do it. Whatever they charge is worth it but they will come out rain or shine or even on a holiday.
My suggestion to you if you are so unhappy is to drop your GS membership and ERS and ask Loves to come out and fix your flats or tow you to a service place.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote