Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2017, 07:30 AM   #15

Go post here may help
https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...s/forum/91.cfm
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2017, 09:00 AM   #16
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Regrettably the operators on the other end have no knowledge of anything but the script in front of them. Reasoning is not part of their job description.
I would make a copy of the tow bill, mail it to Good Sam ERS with a detailed explanation that includes times and dates-names if possible, and request reimbursement, as explained in the contract provisions.

X2!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 09:34 AM   #17

Lost keys to my Jeep Grand Cherokee while it was parked in large multi-story parking garage while was at from Campground in Tampa Florida. Dealer said it had to be towed in the get reprogrammed key. AAA totally covered towing on Dollie to dealer, Jeep extended warranty covered cost of new computer key with no deductible. I decided to purchase a spare computer key and it cost $431.00. That part hurt but AAA and Jeep extended warranty were great.
Trans. Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 09:39 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty & Yani View Post
AAA RV will take you anywhere you want with in the plan 100 miles a year.

You clearly have not used your AAA Premium. I have and it is quite an experience and while it worked in the end the angst acquiring the tow and then getting reimbursed is substantial.
Alan24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 11:16 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan24601 View Post
You clearly have not used your AAA Premium. I have and it is quite an experience and while it worked in the end the angst acquiring the tow and then getting reimbursed is substantial.
I have used my AAA Premium, several times, to tow to exactly where I wanted. Once towed 145 miles to my house; I paid for the additional 45 miles only. Have had no problems other than the normal wait to get a tow rig sufficient to handle a large vehicle. "Reimbursement"? Why? I show my AAA card, and they hook up and tow. Never had to pay out of pocket (other than the 45 mile "extra" distance).
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 12:22 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
AAA told us we had to find a tow service and submit the bill for consideration. Three calls from interstate 5 and we finally were able to find a big rig tow truck in Bakersfield Ca. and nine hours after the beginning of the problem we were towed. They said they did not have any big rig tow trucks in their network and we were on our own. Finally did get the money but the effort and experience was horrible. Everything thing about this event was within the contract guidelines.
Old 10-26-2017, 03:09 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Alan24601, upgrade to AAA Premier RV and you'll have nothing to complain about👍
Old 10-26-2017, 05:34 PM   #22

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
AAA benefits vary from region to region depending on what the local club offers. You may have great coverage in your area with your club but may experience something less when in another club's territory. This is a disclaimer from the AAA Auto Club South website:
The Road Service benefits apply within AAA's territory. In other areas of the United States and Canada, you will receive the same service which clubs in those areas extend to their own members.

Further, if there's no service available at a particular place or time, doesn't matter if you have basic, plus, or premier coverage, AAA will tell you to find your own service and apply for reimbursement after the fact. Since all the plans (GS, Coachnet, AAA) all use the same service providers, one may get the same response from any or all of them.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:10 PM   #23

STLNLUV, as a truck driver, I feel your pain! The last lease truck that I drove was a POS! It had a computer problem that neither they, nor the dealer could diagnose. It quit on me about 125 miles from our shop. I called their break down people and they sent someone to "look" at it. They poked at it and hooked up the gizmo to read the code. Nothing they could do.
Called the breakdown service back. They said they were sending someone that was an hour and a half away! The mechanic said that they had a service 30 minutes away that was VERY reliable! No, the break down service said they had a contract with so and so, and he was only 30 miles away. Yeah, as the crow flies!
It took him almost 2 hours to get there! Then, about a 2 hour tow! The boss showed me the bill. $1600! He was NOT happy about that one!
Phil Perrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 08:09 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty & Yani View Post
Alan24601, upgrade to AAA Premier RV and you'll have nothing to complain about

I have Premier and they told me to find my own tow. Read my response.
Old 10-26-2017, 11:53 PM   #25

If no contract tow is avail, ask them to go outside their network and get you a tow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan24601 View Post
I have Premier and they told me to find my own tow. Read my response.
GS couldn't find anyone to tow us and our trailer in their system. They "offered" for me to find my own tow and get reimbursed. I was on the side of the road out in the middle of nowhere and I declined their offer, suggesting strongly that they find me a tow truck and I didn't care about having to pay up front. They came back saying it would be $1,555 for about a 50 mile tow and the drivers were an hour away. At that point I was just glad someone was coming. It was a first class team that arrived and took care of business. One very big tow truck for the RV, and a deluxe super duty crew cab to move us and our trailer (16' flatbed).

I had the reimbursement from GS before I had to pay the credit card bill, so it all worked out for us. Their reimbursement procedures are on their website.
Beyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 01:18 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond View Post

One thing the tow truck operators told us was that although the companies get contracts with the different ERS companies, the tow operators don't like #1 to to w large RV's and #2 don't think they get enough money for the tow. AND will sometimes just tell the ERS operator they don't have anyone to go, afraid they'll lose out on other business being tied up so long on a large RV job.

The main reason the tow services don't like taking tows for road service, and RV road services like Good Sam and AAA, is first, you have to agree to a cut rate service charge. I mean like 1/3 off of the going market rate for a "private tow". Second, it takes FOREVER to get paid by the road service company. Sure, they issue you a "P.O. number" right away. Big deal. You can't put a "P.O. number" in your fuel tank, or use it to pay bills, get the truck serviced, pay wages with. We used to have to take Good Sam to small claims court after Every. Single. Tow. in order to get paid. It would literally take 6 months to get the money from them. AAA was no better.

We started to absolutely refuse to run on their calls because we wouldn't get paid. They would call us (road service) begging us to take a tow, after they called all the other operators in the area, getting the same "hell no" answer. We'd tell them if they gave us a CC #, that we could charge the bill to right then, over the phone, before we dispatched the truck, then we'd go. Nope, they'd hang up. Then a couple hours later, they'd call back, "...so, you want a CC #?... we have one..."

Then I'd say, "Great. I've also got these other 3 outstanding bills you owe us, here's the P.O. #'s, let's put those on the same CC#."

Click.

Bad enough to have to agree to a cut rate fee (couldn't run a "cheaper truck" though, just get paid less for it), but to have to drag them through court to get the money paid 6 months later. It's literally cheaper to leave the tow truck parked than to take a road service call.

This is why you get so much "blow back" from service operators responding to road service calls.
Old 10-29-2017, 02:23 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
AAA is a good company, but you have to be careful with a big MH. Not all of their service centers are capable of towing/know how to tow one of our coaches. I've used them in the past with cars, but will not use them for a MH. Currently have GS, used them twice with out a problem.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 09:29 PM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowpokeSlim View Post
The main reason the tow services don't like taking tows for road service, and RV road services like Good Sam and AAA, is first, you have to agree to a cut rate service charge. I mean like 1/3 off of the going market rate for a "private tow". Second, it takes FOREVER to get paid by the road service company. Sure, they issue you a "P.O. number" right away. Big deal. You can't put a "P.O. number" in your fuel tank, or use it to pay bills, get the truck serviced, pay wages with. We used to have to take Good Sam to small claims court after Every. Single. Tow. in order to get paid. It would literally take 6 months to get the money from them. AAA was no better.

We started to absolutely refuse to run on their calls because we wouldn't get paid. They would call us (road service) begging us to take a tow, after they called all the other operators in the area, getting the same "hell no" answer. We'd tell them if they gave us a CC #, that we could charge the bill to right then, over the phone, before we dispatched the truck, then we'd go. Nope, they'd hang up. Then a couple hours later, they'd call back, "...so, you want a CC #?... we have one..."

Then I'd say, "Great. I've also got these other 3 outstanding bills you owe us, here's the P.O. #'s, let's put those on the same CC#."

Click.

Bad enough to have to agree to a cut rate fee (couldn't run a "cheaper truck" though, just get paid less for it), but to have to drag them through court to get the money paid 6 months later. It's literally cheaper to leave the tow truck parked than to take a road service call.

This is why you get so much "blow back" from service operators responding to road service calls.

This post is absolutely correct about why getting a big rig tow “in network” is so difficult and why they tell you to find your own tow and get reimbursed. Driver who finally helped us gave us the low down on how the system works and for those who thought they had a plan to help you if you break down, “maybe not”.
My advice to those companies who offer roadside insurance, raise the rates and provide the service we thought we bought in a timely manner.