Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2018, 02:36 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-1701A View Post
I don't know what the average usage of roadside is, but my initial gut reaction was that 5 calls in two years is quite a few. I don't like that they cancelled on you, but I do think that's probably well above average usage.

And there are plenty of Good Sammers that have never had a claim that make up for his 5 claims.
If that is their policy, it should be spelled out in the agreement.
I going to check out FMCA. I'm done with Camping Wor...er Motorhome magazine and FMCA sounds like a better deal. May keep the cheapest GS just for the discounts.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2018, 02:41 PM   #16

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L. View Post
I have Good Sam for other reasons. For roadside I do have Coach-Net. No one comes close to handling larger rigs on ability and customer service from everything I know than them. Good Sam is for smaller things I would believe.
X2
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 11:59 AM   #17

Good sam ? Beware

My point exactly. Spell it out or pay it out. You sold it to me without stipulation so now it’s time to eat it.
Rickho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 01:01 PM   #18

Looks like we are just talking among ourselves, OP posted and left.
Old 08-18-2018, 01:45 PM   #19

As mentioned, insurance companies are in business to make money. If you cost too much they’ll drop you like a hot potato. Even worse if your a victim of theft , fire or flood. Feels like your a victim again or worse, like they feel you had a part in the loss.
Old 08-18-2018, 03:00 PM   #20

good sam is not the insurer they are only the agent/broker.
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 10:03 PM   #21

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Well, let me add to these glowing reports on Good Sam roadside.

On our first trip with our motorhome we had the transmission computer fail on a friday after 5pm. We requested towing at 7:30 pm after consultation with an Allison service center. After a 25 minute hold waiting to speak with a GS rep, we told them we needed a tow 12 miles to the Allison authorized service shop, 30 minutes later we get a call back saying they could have a truck to us tomorrow morning at 9am! Lucky for us we were in a safe spot. 9am the next day a wrecker shows up, obviously not large enough to tow our 40ft. diesel pusher (great) I call GS again, after a 20 minute hold a rep answers, I explain the situation and they tell me "OK we'll look for another provider and call you back,,, an hour later GS calls and says there is no provider able to tow us!!! Gŕrr. I talk to some locals and find a towing company 14 miles away. I call GS and after a 25 minute wait a rep answers, I tell them of the provider I found. OK they say, we'll call them and get back to you. An hour and a half later they call back and tell me the towing company can handle it and will be there MONDAY MORNING! THAT'S JUST DANDY[emoji34] 2 PLUS DAYS LATER WE ARE AT THE SERVICE FACILITY! All this for a 12 mile tow.

Now today we are in our classic car when we break down and are blocking a lane of traffic.
I call GS for a tow, after 30 minutes on hold a rep answers, we explain the situation and ask for expedited service. 25 minutes later I get a callback from GS and they say it will be 2 HOURS for the truck to get there! Mind you we are in a major metropolitan area.

We wait the 2 hours then get a call from GS saying the towing company cancelled our call and it will be 90 minutes for another truck to get there. I said fine I'm not going anywhere.

I call AAA Roadside and they had a truck there in half an hour!

I would not recommend GOOD SAM SERVICES TO MY ENEMY ! Their service is horrendous. Thank god my first and last year with them is over in October. FMCA will get my business now.

Sorry for the long post but had to rant after todays fiasco. 4 hours to get us off a busy road is unacceptable.
Ragtop69GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 10:25 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am with Coach Net and have been towed 3 times this year (3 times in 5 months) and they haven't cancelled me. In fact they have been bugging me to renew for the last 2 months.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 10:33 PM   #23

I have had GS for 10 years now. Lucky we have only had to use them once.
While backing into my friends yard I sank my front up to the axles. I called GS and within 4 rings they answered. I told them what had happened and they confirmed what motor home I had. They verified my number and said they would get back to me. They called back within 10 minutes. They told me the company that would be coming and their phone number. It was a bad night because it was snowing and the interstate is in the mountains. Thirty minutes later the company called and said it would be 2 hours because there was a major wreck on the interstate and they had to clear it first. GS called every thirty minutes to check and see if the truck had arrived. When the truck showed up, it was the one they use on the big trucks. Twenty minutes later I was back on the driveway. Signed the paper work and everything was good. No cost to me other than my membership. At the price of 800 to 1,000 for the truck to come out I saved enough to keep with GS for another 10 years.
Old 08-28-2018, 04:54 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sunadan,

Sorry to hear of your trouble with Good Sam. The only complaint I've had is the time line involved in receiving help.
Just joined FMCA and seriously considering their RA as it is only $69.00 a year with FREE travel assist if sick.

Wishing you to best - Richard
Old 08-28-2018, 05:14 PM   #25

I have been with Coach Net for many years, used them 4 time and can only say good things about Coach Net. I would not leave home without Coachnet. Last year we had a AC Compressor lock up on Sunday morning which left us stranded on I10,, we were towed to a campground, Monday morning Coach Net found a shop and towed our motorhome there. Great service.
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 05:58 PM   #26

As others have already said, over use any insurance and it will get cancelled. 5 calls in 2 years is a lot. I have to wonder why you didn't let Jeep tow the Jeep? When I bought mine it came with free towing.

Just bought a new motorhome and it came with towing service also.

I've had various towing services for the past 18 years and have called them a total of 3 times. Once for a blow out and once for a tow.