Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2014, 01:59 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by datrbone8 View Post
What he gets paid and what it cost GS shouldn't be a concern of yours. He came out, fixed the problem that had you stuck on the road and you got going for $ 130. Seems like a pretty good deal to me.
It would be a concern to me as I like to know I'm getting what I paid for. And not paying more than I should. I never like the thought of just giving someone money without a full explanation of the charge.JMHO
osok is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2014, 08:33 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by datrbone8 View Post
What he gets paid and what it cost GS shouldn't be a concern of yours. He came out, fixed the problem that had you stuck on the road and you got going for $ 130. Seems like a pretty good deal to me. The fact that he called you afterward to make sure everything was OK indicates they are interested in good customer service.
It should very much be a concern of mine and any other GS subscriber regarding the cost to us. I pay a premium to GSERS For emergency service or perceived emergency service and expect same at a reasonable cost. Is this not what the service is for? The gentleman that came out got his 2 hour plus mileage, service call. He gets no more than that in this case. Why should myself or another GSERS member subsidize GS over and above our premium?
Bob
wclogger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:39 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I just reviewed the GS ERS brochure - Platinum + online. It appears to be identical to the brochure I received with initial purchase a couple years ago and subsequent renewal of GS program.

If a valve stem is a tire service - and I presume it is - fixing that is not covered per se. Tire service is to mount a spare on a covered vehicle and possibly arrange for a mounted replacement tire to be delivered and installed. They will not buy you the tire or rim. You're on your your own for that and possibly more.

These "programs or policies" are very specific. If you don't like what they offer - don't buy them - and understand what you are buying upfront. The price of the GS ERS policies range from $79.95 - $159.95 a year depending on program. They routinely offer them at discounts or extend them and or upgrade them at a discount.

If you have a situation that is explicitly covered - your $6.67 - $13.34 a month premium is a bargain. But I don't see the premium a huge expense or ripoff just because some things aren't covered. That said - if you have a situation that isn't covered, there may be more affordable options.

My suggestion (and I have done this with them) is when they tell you what they will do and what it will cost - you have the right to ask for your ticket / order number and tell them you will call them back. Then see what you can arrange on your own - and or refer to your brochure to make sure you are getting the right deal from GS. If you aren't - call back and get it right. If you find a better deal - call back and tell them the deal you got and cancel your order. Or go with their offer.

Yes you have paid for service - but for a specific set of services - not every scenario under the sun. That would probably cost $7 to $15 a month
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 04:32 PM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Try paying to have your rig towed.....from the middle of nowhere...that's what I have my ERS for.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 04:25 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
I had a similar experience last week on our class A diesel motorhome. One of the rear tires, (inside one), was flat but I didn't know why. I could still drive the rig and was only a few miles from home. GOOD SAM ERS said they would send someone out to put my spare on, or send the serviceman out with a new tire. PUT MY SPARE ON? And,I didn't know if I even needed a tire.
How many of you carry a spare tire on a 22.5" wheel with you?
I told them never mind and drove home, and called a local tire company and it was done. That ERS service might work for small RV's but not for diesel pushers. Or, am I wrong in not carrying a spare tire and wheel?
I won't renew my Good Sam ERS. I should have understood better what I had bought from them.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:40 PM   #20

I think OP was in a park and that makes a difference in which case they would have assisted him in finding a repairman but it wouldn't be covered. It' emergency roadside assistance.
Milt
milt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:58 AM   #21

Updating my GS ERS experience, by the time they billed me the actual bill was $89.00 down from the original 130 that they initially requested. As a note another camper had basically the same experience with Coachnet and his bill was $89.00.
Oh well , we live we learn.
Bob
wclogger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:07 AM   #22

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have, beside me, a GS application, I notice Tire Service is "Optional".

It appears, you did not choose tire service. All I can say.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:23 AM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm
I have, beside me, a GS application, I notice Tire Service is "Optional".

It appears, you did not choose tire service. All I can say.
Tires are optional on the Extended Service Plan - not the Emergency Roadside Assistance Plan. At least that's how my two policies are described.

Are we by the two?
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote