Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-16-2022, 04:24 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
F4Gary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Grapevine, Tx
Posts: 4,499
Good Sam membership card now paper?

So I renewed my GS membership mostly for the discounts and all they sent me was a letter with a coupon and a membership card that you cut out of this piece of paper.
Are they now that cheap that they don't send out a thin plastic card?
__________________
2004 Fleetwood Southwind 32VS W20
ReadyBrute Elite towing a 2017 Ford Edge Sport
F4Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2022, 08:05 PM   #2
US1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 918
You have to call them on the phone and request an actual CC. Only takes a second to do. Online ordering is no problem with the paper copy, but I wanted the card for fuel purchases, thus the phone call. Yes, it bites.
__________________
2001 Winnebago Brave SE29 Workhorse P32 7.4L (previous)
2007 Fleetwood Bounder 33R, F53 chassis, V10 (current)
US1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 07:21 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
glwinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by US1 View Post
You have to call them on the phone and request an actual CC. Only takes a second to do. Online ordering is no problem with the paper copy, but I wanted the card for fuel purchases, thus the phone call. Yes, it bites.

Paper is cheaper. More money for Mr. Lemonis and an inconvenience for the customer. Do you think he really cares?
BTW, your old plastic card may still work at the pump.
__________________
2018 KZ 270thle
2015 Silverado.
2012 GL1800
glwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 07:48 AM   #4
US1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 918
Quote:
Originally Posted by glwinger View Post
Paper is cheaper. More money for Mr. Lemonis and an inconvenience for the customer. Do you think he really cares?
BTW, your old plastic card may still work at the pump.
Yes I understand and somewhat agree with you. Im guessing GS is counting on that many wont bother to request the plastic card, so they wont get the fuel discount at the pump. Did not try the expired card. Just assumed it was like any other CC that expired=no good. Dont need anything but your phone number if purchasing within a CW store anyways, so not an issue there.
The letter that comes with your new paper membership card states to call to receive a hard card. I really didn't consider the minute phone call to request my card an inconevience. It is what it is.
__________________
2001 Winnebago Brave SE29 Workhorse P32 7.4L (previous)
2007 Fleetwood Bounder 33R, F53 chassis, V10 (current)
US1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 07:54 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
RangeMaggotBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
So I renewed my GS membership mostly for the discounts and all they sent me was a letter with a coupon and a membership card that you cut out of this piece of paper.
Are they now that cheap that they don't send out a thin plastic card?
__________________
2014 RAM 2500 CTD 6.7 Tradesman 4WD CCLB Auto
2015 Forest River Rockwood Signature Series Ultra Lite 8289WS w/ Diamond Package
Honda eu2200i generators
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 09:56 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
hohenwald48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Titusville, FL
Posts: 4,697
I carry all those membership cards in my phone. Makes the wallet thinner.
__________________
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627 on a 2018 F-53 26K chassis w/6 speed transmission
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU with Ready Brute tow system w/Currie Tow Plate
Titusville, FL when not on the road
hohenwald48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 09:58 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
2cyber71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,643
I added mine to my iPhone wallet.
Itís digital with a bar code
Itís easy do do.
Also, my Sams Card
AARP card
Redbox
__________________
2020 Winnebago Horizon 42Q
2022 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
99 Storm 30H, 04 Southwind 32 VS, 07 Ellipse 40FD
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 11:01 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Bill Gail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: The Great NorthWest
Posts: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cyber71 View Post
I added mine to my iPhone wallet.
Itís digital with a bar code
Itís easy do do.
Also, my Sams Card
AARP card
Redbox

What happens when the phone battery goes dead , or the phone gets misplaced ?

Is it possible to access the cards from another device ?
Bill Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 11:19 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
geordi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 1,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by US1 View Post
Yes I understand and somewhat agree with you. Im guessing GS is counting on that many wont bother to request the plastic card, so they wont get the fuel discount at the pump. Did not try the expired card. Just assumed it was like any other CC that expired=no good. Dont need anything but your phone number if purchasing within a CW store anyways, so not an issue there.
The letter that comes with your new paper membership card states to call to receive a hard card. I really didn't consider the minute phone call to request my card an inconevience. It is what it is.
Would you be referring to the fuel "discount" where BadSam has negotiated a 45+ cent per gallon discount from PFJ, but only shows a 5 cent discount to the BadSam card user? The other 40 cents per gallon are being sent directly from YOUR wallet to Marcus Lemons-sucker.

This is less a discount than it is organized lucre transferring. If you want good fuel discounts, sign up with TSD, they don't require a $30/year re-up!
__________________
02 40' Monaco Diplomat: 1020 watts solar, Victron inverter. FASS, TRW steering, 23 cuft Frigidaire, D/W, W/D, Magneshade, Wood Floor, New cabinets, diesel heater
geordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 12:02 PM   #10
Member
 
Tom in Ohio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gail View Post
What happens when the phone battery goes dead , or the phone gets misplaced ?

Is it possible to access the cards from another device ?
....Or when not if you get Hacked.
Tom in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 12:18 PM   #11
US1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 918
Quote:
Originally Posted by geordi View Post
Would you be referring to the fuel "discount" where BadSam has negotiated a 45+ cent per gallon discount from PFJ, but only shows a 5 cent discount to the BadSam card user? The other 40 cents per gallon are being sent directly from YOUR wallet to Marcus Lemons-sucker.

This is less a discount than it is organized lucre transferring. If you want good fuel discounts, sign up with TSD, they don't require a $30/year re-up!
Donít care about how the fuel discount is divided. Thatís a known before you choose to join. Donít forget about the discounted campsite prices, the fair amount of cash value towards product purchases, and yes, the measly fuel discount. I rejoined for 3 yrs just 2months ago before we left on a trip. The card has since paid for itself x over just between the campsites discounts and cash certificate.
For fuel only, I agree itís not worth it.
__________________
2001 Winnebago Brave SE29 Workhorse P32 7.4L (previous)
2007 Fleetwood Bounder 33R, F53 chassis, V10 (current)
US1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 12:19 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
BobGed's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Land of the Washoe Zephyr
Posts: 3,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by geordi View Post
Would you be referring to the fuel "discount" where BadSam has negotiated a 45+ cent per gallon discount from PFJ, but only shows a 5 cent discount to the BadSam card user? The other 40 cents per gallon are being sent directly from YOUR wallet to Marcus Lemons-sucker.

This is less a discount than it is organized lucre transferring. If you want good fuel discounts, sign up with TSD, they don't require a $30/year re-up!
Some of the previous posters have gas rigs. At least at this time TSD does not have a discount program for them. I believe Escapees might though.
__________________
Bob, Sherron & Kinsey (Goldendoodle)
2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 04:07 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
hohenwald48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Titusville, FL
Posts: 4,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gail View Post
What happens when the phone battery goes dead , or the phone gets misplaced ?

Is it possible to access the cards from another device ?
I worry about those events about as much as I worry about getting struck by a meteorite.

But yes, most everything you can put on your phone is also available from a website accessed from any device.
__________________
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627 on a 2018 F-53 26K chassis w/6 speed transmission
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU with Ready Brute tow system w/Currie Tow Plate
Titusville, FL when not on the road
hohenwald48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 04:16 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
geordi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 1,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by US1 View Post
Donít care about how the fuel discount is divided. Thatís a known before you choose to join. Donít forget about the discounted campsite prices, the fair amount of cash value towards product purchases, and yes, the measly fuel discount. I rejoined for 3 yrs just 2months ago before we left on a trip. The card has since paid for itself x over just between the campsites discounts and cash certificate.
For fuel only, I agree itís not worth it.
You might care how it was divided if you discovered that for every 100 gallons of fuel, $40 of your money on that receipt didn't buy fuel, but was being kicked back to the provider of your card for that $5 "savings". No that kickback is NOT disclosed in advance, which is what makes it so disgusting that they are doing that.

You are effectively paying the enrollment price to GS every time you fill up, for no additional benefit to you. I prefer to get something when I spend money, not just throw it away. GS negotiated a massive fuel discount based on the potential number of RV members - but then chose to keep 90% of that discount for themselves and it is NOT shown on your receipts that this is happening. That is dishonest.

With TSD, yes the costs are known and disclosed in advance, nothing is hidden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
Some of the previous posters have gas rigs. At least at this time TSD does not have a discount program for them. I believe Escapees might though.
Noises have been made from TSD directly that one of their plans for 2022 is a discount program for gassers. I do not have any other details than that at this time.
__________________
02 40' Monaco Diplomat: 1020 watts solar, Victron inverter. FASS, TRW steering, 23 cuft Frigidaire, D/W, W/D, Magneshade, Wood Floor, New cabinets, diesel heater
geordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Silly Good Sam "mascot" at Good Sam 500 Stock Car race Bob&AnnaMari Just Conversation 11 03-18-2016 08:47 AM
Best membership ... Good sam? Passport? KOA tangocil iRV2.com General Discussion 18 09-12-2011 09:52 AM
Membership..for good Sam ..escapee's.? sharon Grant iRV2.com General Discussion 15 08-28-2008 12:38 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.