Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2015, 09:53 AM   #1

Thumbs down GOOD SAM Road Side Assistance Good & or Bad?

WE have had policy with Good Sam Road Side Assistance for about 10 years and have only tried to use them on 2 occasions in that time. Both calls were for assistance to change a flat for an inflated spare. First time we were in a WalMart Parking lot in a Town in Ontario. ONLY one WalMart in that town but because I could not provide a street number or intersection service could not be provided. I change the wheel myself and went on. This was 2006 and should have twigged that the service was probably useless then but continued to pay premiums to date. As of last Thursday I now know the service is useless. We were trailering our boat from Florida to Ontario and had a trailer tire blow on I- 95 at exit 7 in North Carolina. Called Good Sam at 6:20 PM spent 20 minutes so they could figure out where we were and if we had coverage for a boat trailer. Finally they said they would dispatch someone to our assistance but would I stay on line to answer questions if needed, waited and waited and finally they needed to know how long the trailer was, how heavy the boat, and were we on pavement of grass. Answered questions and G S said they would call back when they found assistance. Called back in 15 minutes to say they found someone but had no drivers so could not respond. G S said they would find some else so waited and waited until 8:55, starting to get dark on a very busy interstate so I decided to change wheel myself. Instructed my wife to call and cancel request for assistance but she could not get talking to the dispatch person who was supposed to be getting back to us so canceled anyway. At 9:10 GS dispatch person called to say he had contacted 9 providers and no one could assist us until TOMORROW MORNING.
Now you know why I say we have paid in excess of $1000.00 for a service that is totally useless.
Anyone out there that has a Road Side Service that has proven to be USEFUL and given reasonable service as promised.
Or has anyone out there had similar experiences with Good Sam or any other Road Side Assistance providers?
Duffy260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2015, 08:00 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy260 View Post
WE have had policy with Good Sam Road Side Assistance for about 10 years and have only tried to use them on 2 occasions in that time. Both calls were for assistance to change a flat for an inflated spare. First time we were in a WalMart Parking lot in a Town in Ontario. ONLY one WalMart in that town but because I could not provide a street number or intersection service could not be provided. I change the wheel myself and went on. This was 2006 and should have twigged that the service was probably useless then but continued to pay premiums to date. As of last Thursday I now know the service is useless. We were trailering our boat from Florida to Ontario and had a trailer tire blow on I- 95 at exit 7 in North Carolina. Called Good Sam at 6:20 PM spent 20 minutes so they could figure out where we were and if we had coverage for a boat trailer. Finally they said they would dispatch someone to our assistance but would I stay on line to answer questions if needed, waited and waited and finally they needed to know how long the trailer was, how heavy the boat, and were we on pavement of grass. Answered questions and G S said they would call back when they found assistance. Called back in 15 minutes to say they found someone but had no drivers so could not respond. G S said they would find some else so waited and waited until 8:55, starting to get dark on a very busy interstate so I decided to change wheel myself. Instructed my wife to call and cancel request for assistance but she could not get talking to the dispatch person who was supposed to be getting back to us so canceled anyway. At 9:10 GS dispatch person called to say he had contacted 9 providers and no one could assist us until TOMORROW MORNING.
Now you know why I say we have paid in excess of $1000.00 for a service that is totally useless.
Anyone out there that has a Road Side Service that has proven to be USEFUL and given reasonable service as promised.
Or has anyone out there had similar experiences with Good Sam or any other Road Side Assistance providers?
Duffy260
No RV ERS (emergency roadside service), is perfect but I have found CoachNet's now $89 a year "Basic Plan" to be the best.
Coach-Net Motorized Plan

BTW, I've had CoachNet since 2009 and it will be another 6 years before the total paid I paid for CoashNet ERS exceeds $1000.
What are you paying for Good Sam Road Side Assistance?

Mel
'96 Safari, 141k miles
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 08:30 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Duffy260
BTW, I've had CoachNet since 2009 and it will be another 6 years before the total paid I paid for CoashNet ERS exceeds $1000.
What are you paying for Good Sam Road Side Assistance?
Op said he had GS for 10 years. So $1,000 would make over $100 a year he is paying.

Good Sam has 4 plans that run from $79.95 to $179.95. So it is possible to pay $1,000 in less then 6 years.

OH!! Coachnet has 3 plans for MH $69 to $159

If you have the $69 Coachnet plan. In year 2023 1/2 you will be over $1,000. But you must have the $89 one to be over $1,000 in 6 years or 2021.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 08:44 PM   #4

I have Good Sam, had a tire come apart last year in southern Florida on our old 27' Prowler Travel Trailer. I had an 8 ton bottle jack, but hadn't packed the lug wrench! So I called Good Sam Roadside assistance, they arrived in 20 minutes and changed tire for me. Only problem was they showed up with a (I kidd you not) Harbor Freight 2 1/4 ton jack! It didn't have the reach nor the lift capacity, so we ended up using my jack anyway. Bottom line, back on the road again 45 minutes after pulling over. I'll keep them for now.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote