Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2022, 10:51 AM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good Sam RV Insurance - Are you happy?

I'm with Progressive for my 2000 Bounder but just found Good Sam to be substantially lower...like way lower.

My dad..who was in the insurance business..always said
"Kid...Insurance is peace of mind until you go to collect"

If you're with GS, are you happy with their service?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2022, 07:20 PM   #2

Insurance

Never had to find out yet. I,m sure it will be a pain as I was a GMAC when National General took over for goodsam. Mine is supposed to be covered for complete replacement of thhe original purchase price. Ibet some how this will turn into ACV. but the payments are for the full price. Hope I never find out. So I will say they are probably as good as any RV Insurance.
fayjim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 06:12 AM   #3

I don't think Good Sam is an insurance company is it?
Old 08-23-2022, 07:28 AM   #4

I have Good Sam, but it is actually through National General - which was recently bought by Allstate. That said, I had a claim many years ago and a windshield last year and the service was satisfactory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 07:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
Shows this on its webpage

Quote:
The Good Sam Insurance Agency is made up of a network of the nation's top-rated insurance companies.
Sounds like they are an insurance broker.
Old 08-23-2022, 07:50 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
Shows this on its webpage

Sounds like they are an insurance broker.

I'm sure they are and that's a good point. Only as good as the company underwriting it.
Old 08-23-2022, 08:44 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I tried the GS and it was National General. First year the rate was great. Next year a little bump in premium. The 3rd year they jumped 35% with no claims or tickets. Dumped them.

We find that we have to insurance shop every 3 years or so. Still not claims or tickets.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 09:04 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
I tried the GS and it was National General. First year the rate was great. Next year a little bump in premium. The 3rd year they jumped 35% with no claims or tickets. Dumped them.
We find that we have to insurance shop every 3 years or so. Still not claims or tickets.
Ken

Right. I stayed with State Farm for everything for +- 30 years because I put a value on my agent. Then we were in Dallas to do a show and our van was stolen leaving us with a cargo trailer and no way to tow it back to Denver not to mention the loss of everything in the van.
Called my agent only to be immediately transferred to "Claims" at State Farm. Turns out SF does not allow agents to be involved in the claims process. So...I might as well be doing business with "Flo".

Left them and have been rate hopping ever since.
Old 08-23-2022, 09:34 AM   #9

All insurance companies bump up your rate. I would never be loyal to one particular one. Search around every 3 years or so is what we've always done. Going thru Good Sam is as good as any of them.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 06:17 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:

Ken
I have had the exact same experience with GS and Progressive. It's okay for a couple of years, then they keep raising the rates....I think they all do it in the RV business.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 07:00 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Allright then...
First off, by getting a quote from Good Sam online I opened myself up to incessant phone calls. First one came about 3 minutes after I logged off the site. Yesterday I got 4 calls - today 2. I blocked the number so I don't know how many more there have been.

I got a quote straight up from National General and one from Safeco that bundled my two cars and the RV for less than I paid Progressive for the RV alone.

Going that route.
Old 08-26-2022, 02:38 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
All insurance companies bump up your rate. I would never be loyal to one particular one. Search around every 3 years or so is what we've always done. Going thru Good Sam is as good as any of them.
Yes. They call it 'Price Optimization'...It's some insurance companies' way of rewarding their safest customer's loyalty. Just another money grab, IMO. We do the three-year price dance as well.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 05:31 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:

Ken

Same here. Every three years changing and shopping. Had progressive to start in 2016, price increase. Check with GS lower price then increased. Now through FMCA (progressive) will see. Also I found that full value is the value at the present not original cost. Review your coverage.
Obrenn73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 07:03 AM   #14

Never had a claim but I like the fact that I can suspend it when the rig is not being used. Worked out real well during the pandemic and the rig was just setting there.
WagonMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance